Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

That was ambitious

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I took my car in for an oil change today. They tried to upsell me to the tune of 640 bucks. Granted I do need front brakes but c'mon folks. That's a little over the top

Groovey and Omar like this.

2. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    Years ago I brought my Mazda to the dealer for an oil change. The service rep told me I should replace my catalytic converter. I asked if there was anything wrong with it, was told no, just that it would be a good idea to replace it. That would have been about $1k needlessly spent.

I wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership, never heard back.

Never went back there and made sure my experience was told to plenty of people.

ChukkerNation likes this.

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Oh no,,
    Oh no,,,
    Oh no,,,,
    Another straight line...

4. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    My son is a service advisor for a luxury car dealership. Been there 14 years. They are trained to upsell over and above what the customer came in for. There is a commission for them when they do. However, the base pay is so low that in order to survive they have to upsell. The dealership forces them to do it if they want to make a decent living. He is currently looking for a new job, tired of management's pressure to 'increase revenue'.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Midas, right?

6. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I pay the $25 for oil changes (not worth getting under the car without a lift + dealing with getting rid of the used oil).. But I've always done my own brakes, everywhere charges way too much

ChukkerNation and henderman like this.

7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Indeed. Places charge ridiculous amounts for changing brake pads/rotors. If you can work on a Strat you can change brakes.

8. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Those places are the worst. If manufacturers didn't do their best to put the oil filter in newer cars in the worst place possible i would change my vehicle's oil every time, but it's getting quite difficult without a lift.

I watched the news a while back and they did one of those undercover investigations they like to do on certain businesses. They took three cars and had a mechanic check everything over, re-fill all the fluids (minus the oil) and give it his stamp of approval. They then took the three cars at separate times to the shop for an oil change.

The business tried selling them all sorts of services that they had just had done by the new's stations tech the night before. Everything from telling them that their brake fluid was turning pink from usage (really?) to telling them they needed a radiator flush even though the mechanic had already done it.

Just as bad as car salesmen.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    The definition of a dealership or a chain is - Man this is so profitable we need to put up another one somewhere else also as fast as we can.

If they are not metal to metal, learn to grease the parts that need to move and how to swap out the pads. There is probably a U-TooB vid on it.

I agree w/ Lonn, you can probably do this yourself and save $589 in an afternoon.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    “You miss 100 percent of shots you don’t take” -Wayne Gretzky
    -Michael Scott

Stratoman10 likes this.

11. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I used to work at a dealership so I expect all that. As a matter of fact it was THIS dealership. But this was the Toyota division, I was at Porsche, Audi, Jaguar

12. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I've got a mechanic. I already have the parts, they'll get installed Saturday. I used to not mind working on my car but not anymore

henderman likes this.

13. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Goodyear does it too. I imagine all the large chains do.

14. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

My buddy Bill has got it under control. But they tried the air filter, cabin filter, clean throttle body and some other stuff trick too

15. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I'm with you on this. As much as oil costs in the store it's not worth doing yourself for all the reasons you named

henderman and apm1991 like this.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    It’s a known fact, the first thing that goes along the production line is the oil filter, the rest of the car is built around it and yiu never see it again.

17. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Yeah, I’ve been doing my own brakes since my early twenties. A friend showed me and I show friends how to do it too. It’s such an easy job and the prices charged are ridiculous.

18. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Don't know about the USA but here in the UK dealers are trying to sell you
    a complete brake fluid change at between 1 and 2 years old ????

ChukkerNation likes this.

19. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

They try it here as well