Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

The Adventure of the String Tree Anamoly

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tschucha, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    OK peoples. Here's one for you. Stratocasters come with zero, one or two string trees. Probably at least a half dozen or more different types of string trees. My question to you all is. Where on the headstock is your e-b string tree located? On every strat I've ever owned or seen the e-b string tree is located roughly parallel to the 5th tuner or slightly towards the 4th tuner. I've seen them between the 5th and 4th tuner and I've even seen a couple of Squiers with the string tree almost up to the 4th tuner. Is that where yours are?

Now here's the interesting observation. I deliberately lied in the first paragraph. I have seen 3 guitars that have the e-b string tree closer to the nut than this, about parallel to the 6th tuner. Those three strats? The last three strats that Jimi Hendrix played, the Woodstock Strat, Black Beauty and the white strat he used through 1970 at the LA forum, Rainbow Bridge and Fehmarn and probably everywhere else in 1970.

How weird is that? They must have come from the factory that way as at least with the Woodstock strat there is no hole where the string tree could have been moved from. I seriously doubt the Jimi cared one iota about the string tree position. All of the photos of his guitars he used prior to getting these last three have string trees exactly where you would expect them to be or no trees at all. Strange.....

2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    My Classic Series 60's Tele has a butterfly type in line with the 5th tuner.

3. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Fender has never had a half dozen or more different styles of string trees. They’ve had 3 main versions and the polished new style on the elite models.

Demon Dave likes this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talk Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Lake View
    If recollection is correct, the screw hole for the tree on the modern trees might be closer to the nut, but the way the tree is shaped it still puts the string break about even, maybe a little above, the 5th string tuning peg, same as it always was.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

It seems to move around with the decal logo positioning.

For me the further from the nut the better, less angle on the nut and tree and thus lower friction.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
  7. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2015
    Central Canada
    not mine....

[​IMG]

RobZ69, circles and jfgesquire like this.
  8. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2015
    Central Canada
    again, not mine

[​IMG]

circles likes this.
  9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The most ridiculous positioning of a string tree that I have seen is on my Classic Vibe Tele.

IMG_7804.JPG

I love the guitar but the headstock is a mess. They seem to have moved the string tree too far to the end (and used an early 50s type round thingy instead of a correct early 60s type) so that they could cram in decals in 3 different clashing fonts & two different colours. What a horrible mess!

Shame, because the guitar is excellent.

circles likes this.
  10. kurher

kurher Strat-Talk Member

Oct 2, 2017
    UK
    I wouldn't bet on the 2nd white strat theory based on a mark. Don't forget that this guitar was put in auction and so many things got cleaned up. Regarding string tree positions, I've seen quite a few variations throughout the years although imo the position on Jimi's strats was probably intentional.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
  12. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
    Haha, well you have listed 4 yourself and if you get pedantic and count 'no tree' that makes 5, and even more pedantic... with spacers/no spacers, etc. Not far fetched to say half a dozen?

RPKennedy, Mr. Grabby and Demon Dave like this.
  13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Remember that Jimi used right handed Strats, strung as left handed. That puts the high E string on the tuner closest to the nut and the low E string to the tuner farthest from the nut. But you probably already knew that? I would expect this to possibly inspire at least some small reconsideration of string tree location?
    Just Bein' Captain Obvious!
    Gene

owenmoney likes this.
  14. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Um... no. He specifically said Fender has had a half dozen or more different types of string trees. Having a spacer or not doesn’t count as a type. Having no string tree walks hand in hand with the stupidity of thinking a spacer either present or not would make any difference on a butterfly tree. If I have a spacer on the butterfly or not, it’s still a butterfly.

15. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Flippin' a guitar don't change the location of the string tree. Here's the Woodstock strat headstock from the Museum in Seattle. Black Beauty and the other white strat both have similarly locaed string trees, WdstkHdStck.jpg

circles likes this.
  16. Bowmap

Bowmap Happy Thanksgiving To All Friends Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Lost
    And yet another... 2017 EOB
    EOB Head.jpg

17. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Admittedly I picked a number out of the air. But here's 6 different styles. There may be more that I've missed or some may be after market. But it's an honest half dozen. My main point was the location of the string tree relative to the tuners - not the types.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      203.2 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      115.9 KB
      Views:
    RPKennedy, Mr. Grabby and esseff like this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Yup and they do the same job, for the same reasons, whichever way up it is.

19. Bowmap

Bowmap Happy Thanksgiving To All Friends Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Lost
    It does make you wonder why so many positions?

20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Humans.

owenmoney and Jason99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.