Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

The Adventure of the String Tree Anamoly

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tschucha, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    As this matter has been discussed before, I'm going to quote the best answer for this anomaly.

[​IMG]

Bowmap likes this.
  2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Never gave it a thought...
    Kinda like
    Where is the ignition key slot in your car/pickup/motorcycle/electric wheelchair

Ebidis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    The last part of the quote by @Guy Named Sue pretty much nails it! I will add that "ideally" positioning/spacing/height of the trees, combined with judicious string wrapping at the tuners will mostly even out the break angle of the strings over the nut. With that said, it should be noted that the offset of the headstock face to the fingerboard/frets can vary on different guitars, even of the same model. It would be nice to assume that Fender might actually pay attention to such details, on each individual instrument, but who knows for sure.........? :rolleyes:
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

4. LRS!

LRS! Strat-O-Master

Aug 27, 2014
    The Netherlands
    IMHO a strat is just fine without a string tree, as long as you wind the string low enough down to the bottom of the tuner. My EJ strat (staggered tuners) has no string tree, but pretty much any other vintage style (Kluson) type of tuner can be strung this way as can be seen below:
    American Standard
    IMG_4574.jpg

Eric Johnson
    IMG_4574.jpg

5. Here's mine. The tree isn't original but the position is. Because of the staggered heights of the Sperzels, the tree doesn't actually do much to alter the angle and I could probably get away with not having it at all. IMG_20180406_162717-01.jpeg

6. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Exactly. You'd think that Fender would have speced it out somewhere down the line. And the idea that the only 3 strats that Jimi seemed to hold onto for more than a month or two all have that anamoly is just strange.

7. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    As I remember when the Ej series first was introduced Eric explained the design. He went into discussing how he asked Fender to shave off a couple of mm from the front of the headstock in order to help the break angle of the string so there would be no need of string tree.

The staggered tuners are basically just a plus not the actual trick.
    [​IMG]

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    If I recall correctly, I believe they actually start with a thicker chunk of maple for the EJ necks. That way they can shave off that little bit extra without making the headstock too thin. That and being quarter sawn are likely why those necks are so pricey! I could be mistaken, but I read it on the innernest, so it must be true? :p
    Just My $.02 & Probably Worth A Whole Lot Less!
    Gene

9. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    I dunno, I take em all off

guitartwonk likes this.
  10. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    The radius of the fretboard dictates where the string tree goes and whether theres two or not

11. I'm not so sure. I think it's pretty arbitrary. Both my Squier VM and my MIM have 9½" radii, and here they are. They differ not only in number but also in position. IMG_20180329_172524-01.jpeg IMG_20180406_162717-01.jpeg

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    12" radius has two trees usually, and nut width factors too

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The only thing that would change the position of the string tree would be height of the nut above the face of the headstock, as the distance between the nut and B/E tuners remains the same regardless of radius.

@The Ballzz had it about right.

Otherwise the position of the tree is completely arbitrary.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  14. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
    I've never liked string trees. Seems like an agricultural solution to bad design. That is why I luv my Strat Plus.

IMG_20180130_222328_HHT.jpg

RobZ69 likes this.
  15. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Dictates? According to whom? Because Fender themselves can't even agree on one exact position on all models. And I fail to see how the radius has anything to do with this issue and would dictate the position.

What you do see on the other hand is that the modern style necks always have modern roller string tree and those have spacers built in unlike the vintage kind where the spacer is removable. That spacer determines how far back the string tree can be installed. If they didn't have spacers then you could go much further back.

Thrup'ny Bit and guitartwonk like this.
  16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Bad design?

OK. I mean it's not as if the Strat is the best & most popular guitar design ever, is it? o_O

owenmoney, Jason99 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    There are times when an old tractor is superior to a Lamborghini.

owenmoney likes this.
  18. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Not if that tractor was built by Lamborghini :D That's what the company only built in early days after WW II. With the money he earned Ferruccio Lamborghini bought a Ferrari which left him unsatisfied so he started building his own line of sportcars. :cool:

Tim S and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Compared to the craftsmanship, exotic woods, carved top etc. etc of a Les Paul, some would argue that a Strat or a Tele is an "agricultural solution" to the problem of making a solid electric guitar. People did say that in the 1950s, they laughed at Fender's crude production line made guitars.

But we now know that that was a very silly way to look at a rare example of design genius.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Joke killed very effectively. :) Well done that man.

owenmoney and Guy Named Sue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.