Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The audiophile test

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cerb, Jan 11, 2019.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Yes, but also you can make a really crappy recording using almost any format or medium. Some of the early CD versions of vinyl releases were just awful. One I came across, actually sounded like it was taken from the vinyl – and not a particularly pristine example either! Of course, it's even easier to mess us an MP3 by selecting an inappropriate bit-rate, kicking in any automatic overload protection etc.

gofmusic, Thrup'ny Bit and Cerb like this.
  2. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Listening on the built-in speakers in my cheapo laptop, I can't tell any difference between any of them!

gofmusic, gwjensen and Cerb like this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Impressive ears! My hearing is pretty good, the other day I noticed a broken power supply in the kitchen from the adjacent room by hearing how the pulses changed. I wouldn't call my ears refined though, I doubt I could tell the differnce between a CD and tape.

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

simoncroft likes this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I only got 2 of them right, I picked the 320kbps MP3 3 times and the 128 once. Statistically, I think that means I can usually hear the difference between 128 and 320 but not the difference between 320 and uncompressed. I usually thought one sounded worse--but I still got it wrong once. This with cheap earbuds plugged into laptop, which is for sure better than my laptop speakers but still not very good. Not as good as the stereo in my living room...I think. Plus I've got some background noise in the room.

I would note that several of these recordings likely used compression in the studio--and that the drum machine tracks sound like drum machine tracks whether it's turned into MP3 or not.

It would probably help if the music playing was stuff I like more.

Cerb likes this.
  5. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I can. Cassettes have tape hiss, CDs don't. Plus if I'm within a couple feet of the player--the motor in a cassette player sounds way different from the motor on a CD player. Or maybe that's just my crappy equipment.

Cerb likes this.
  6. Cerb

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes, the hiss is there when the music is silent but can you hear it with a bit of volume too? I din't know, it's been years since I listened to a tape.

7. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Sorry to appear utterly stupid, but I followed the link, read the blurb... but couldn't find a link to the actual 'quiz' they mention. :oops:

P.S. Yes, that means I've got the FireWire audio situation under control. What worries me is I don't understand the difference between the system when it failed and now it's working. It's all been fine for a few months now. When the FireWire LED failed to come light on the Focusrite box, I did the old, 'pull the plug out slightly and push it back' routine round the back of the computer. Powered it all back up. No joy. Got a mirror (it's a lot of hardware sitting on my desk) so I could see round the back. Managed to re-plug the FW cable into the seemingly identical socket next to the first one on the card and now it works.

I'm glad it works but nervous that I don't understand why. The two sockets are on the same bus...

Thrup'ny Bit and Cerb like this.
  8. Cerb

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Sorry, can't help with the FW. Regarding the link: Scroll down, the questions look like this

[​IMG]

9. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Yeah, I can see that too, now @Cerb. Thanks for the input. :thumb:

That section of the page didn't display earlier in my browser. I reckon it was a server-side error, probably caused by Strat-Talk members overwhelming The Record's web site. :whistling:

I need to go and fix dinner now but I'll try to take a listen later.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Weird one! If I follow the link now, Sometimes it looks like the first screen-shot, sometimes the second> I think we've broken the Internet!

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 19.48.15.png Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 19.48.27.png

Cerb and s5tuart like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I had the same thing, it didn't show up at all in Firefox. I'm probably blocking something it needs. Microsoft Edge on the other hand, refuses to block anything, so the quiz worked...

simoncroft and Cerb like this.
  12. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

4 out of 6 right. Sheer luck.

simoncroft and Cerb like this.
  13. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I heard no difference at all on
    my iPhone!
    I’ll try in the morning with my super duper £100 high end hi fi system :whistling:

simoncroft, Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    simoncroft, s5tuart and Cerb like this.
  15. Cerb

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Great ears!

16. Cerb

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    It would be interesting to see if we made the same "mistakes". That coukd say something about the recordings.

17. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-O-Master

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    The IT guys at work would have written up the service ticket as a PEBKAC error (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). :D

simoncroft likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Windows resamples everything to 48khz

So if you guys did the test on a Win computer, it all is going to sound the same once Windows steps all over it.

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Er... not really. If the program quality has already been lost, up-sampling to a higher sample-rate or bit-depth might give you the most faithful clone of the degraded original, but it won't make it any better than it was.

This isn't a 'digital thing' either. Back in the 1980s, I used to sell Revox tape recorders, some to people who said: "The recordings I make from the radio will be better quality than the original broadcast."

I felt obliged to explain that the Revox B77 could record at a higher quality than the AM radio transmission, but all it could do when recording that broadcast was record it as faithfully as possible. That included any drop-outs, lack of dynamic range, noise, or transmitter limiting artifacts.

Same logic with digital.

Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire

Windows isn't the only thing that resamples all audio. ;)