Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Feb 8, 2018.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The-Kid likes this.

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    Well it's all about the music, not the musicianship... (is that a real word?)

Jason D, Morf2540, RnR Nolan and 4 others like this.

3. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Turkey
    Well, to me this is mostly speculative, though there are certain true parts within the whole text.

As for the drummer comments, it may be true somehow, but again it’s not easy to be bart of a very famous band. Once I remember reading somewhere, they were asking Lennon that if Ringo Starr is one of the best in the world, he replied “he is not best the in the Beatles.”.

Once Nick Mason (of Pink Floyd) said in one of his interviews that he is not a good drummer, but instead he only happened to be in one of the biggest band.

4. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Brisvegas
    Milli Vanilli

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

6. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    Read the interview yesterday, chalked a lot of it up to general 85 year old crankiness.

Edit: I also think some of it was just him BS'ing the writer.

Neil.C, velvet_man, johnnymg and 3 others like this.

7. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    They were innovators and a major influence for almost all the rock bands that followed. Of course, technically speaking, there is, nowadays, more proficient musicians but did they have the impact that The Beatles had on modern music UNTIL THIS DAY? Not a chance.

Dave J, Sonny, Neil.C and 2 others like this.

8. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Brisvegas
    I’ d take Ringo any day.

Sonny, 1980, Willie D and 4 others like this.

9. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Lennon never said this. Jasper Carrott said it on his behalf long after he was dead.

No good band ever had a bad drummer. Ask any drummer who has analysed Ringo's style whether he thinks he was any good or not, and see what you get.

I've heard some of Mr Jones' (so-called) music, and don't think he has the right to criticise anyone.

bassetman, orcslayer, Neil.C and 3 others like this.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    My stepmother was a stewardess for TWA in the 60s and 70 's.She had George Harrison on a flight, and she got me his autograph. While talking, she mentioned my Dad was a composer/artist. She also said he blamed the Beatles for ruining his career. George said "Tell him to get in line. He's not the only one." I think Q is at the head of the line. He and my dad are of the same generation.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Ringo is the only one of the blghters I could stand. I never rated the Bootles at all. Their music is best when it's played by somebody else.

Stratoskater and Bodean like this.

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I recall a conversation at my parents place when I was a lad. I don't remember who this couple were, but they must have been vaguely important as we used the front room - kept for special occasions! (Mr. Bit will understand this even if the rest of you don't!)

Anyway this couple (who I don't recall ever seeing again) were chatting to my parents, & my parents were Beatles fans, having seen them at the Finsbury Park Astoria around 1962. And this guy voices the opinion that it was only a matter of time before somebody (i.e. a proper musician) stepped forward to admit that he had written all the songs that had been attributed to Lennon & McCartney. His reasoning was that there was no way that two barely educated working class lads from Liverpool would have been capable of writing songs of such complexity.

I found this argument unconvincing, but it rendered my parents speechless, which was a rare thing. They were fairly polite in their dismissal, but once the guy had left they were scathing about him & his ignorant opinions.

This must have been around 1970, & I have now been waiting nearly 50 years for this mysterious songwriter to step forward & identify himself. He's leaving it a bit late.....

o_O

CigBurn, aiabx, Thrup'ny Bit and 3 others like this.

13. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    It strikes me that Quincy is deliberately exaggerating (worst musicians?) to be provocative. I'm reminded of Richard Thompson (whom I usually admire for his playing and his views) saying the Beatles were a great band, but it was a shame they didn't have a guitarist.

CigBurn and fezz parka like this.

14. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Just like the people who don't believe Shakespeare could have written those plays....

carolinaeasy, Neil.C, CigBurn and 2 others like this.

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I am one of those people!!

He seemed like a nice man. I don't believe that he would have caused such misery to generations of schoolkids.

16. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Haha!

radstringz likes this.

17. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Poor ol fool must be getting confused in his old age

radstringz likes this.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

Maybe he was confusing The Beatles with The Sex Pistols? :whistling:

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Surely, if he believes that Ringo Starr was the drummer with the Pistols, that's even more worrying?

20. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Gasp!!!! Ringo was a very clever drummer. The Hamburg and cavern days they were on fire. John was kind of string banger but all together love them. The stones however were terrible in the early days. Sounded worse than a garage band goes the legend. It's all about the songs to me. What they had for technique sure worked. Some don't like them, but no friends of mine ;)