Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Feb 8, 2018.

1. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I like some Beatles and I like some Quincy. As I said elsewhere completely different meals but all good food, just depends on my mood. I never really buy into the whole who or whats best thing much, its just too subjective.

Ebidis likes this.

2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I respectfully disagree......

The most influential musicians are the black Jazz and blues players long before The Beatles were around.....^They influenced everyone from Elvis to the Beatles and on and on....

They were in Bagdad before The Beatles were their Dadsbag.....:thumb:

aiabx and stratman323 like this.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You state that as though it was undisputed fact. But it isn't. I hear far more people saying "Elvis started everything" than I do "The Beatles started everything". I respect your opinion, but it's not fact, any more than my opinion is.

4. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    What’s your favorite song that Elvis wrote?

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I see what you did there.jpg

fattboyzz, duzie, Folk_Hogan and 2 others like this.

6. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Ahhh, now that is a trick question right there! :sneaky:

fattboyzz likes this.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Best question ever.

davidKOS, fattboyzz and Ebidis like this.

8. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Elvis was a singer and singers were the focus of popular music, but after the Beatles, the group as a whole became more important. After the Beatles everything changed.

Of course Elvis is iconic and had legions of fans worldwide, but WAY fewer musicians or aspiring musicians looked at Elvis and said "I can and want to do that" than they did about the Beatles. The Beatles showed musicians they could and should write their own songs.
    Today you still see high school/college age kids wearing Beatles T shirts, not Elvis.

West Coast Idea, davidKOS and Tuica like this.

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't recall anybody ever questioning the validity of Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald as singers simply because they were not songwriters. It's all a bit of a non sequitur.

davidKOS likes this.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    How can you prove that?

11. Dadocaster

Given that this long thread started with Quincy saying the Beatles were bad musicians based on the fact that despite writing, performing, recording iconic tunes, I think his implication was that the Beatles were "incomplete" since they could not play instruments to his standard. It is Quincy that is questioning the validity of Sinatra and Ella if we extend his own criteria to them. Not a non sequitur at all, it's right at the center of this discussion.

For the record, I have often questioned the validity of performers that never wrote or played instruments. On occasion, I have done so in person.

davidKOS likes this.

12. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    C’mon, you guys! This is like the some of the most basic and fundamental rock n roll history.

The Beatles wanted to be Elvis!

Attached Files:

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

13. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Read and listen to everyone's interviews.

But for more prove the Beatles changed everything, from some who was there and greatly affected by the Beatles:

A quote from Neil Sedaka:

Low point: "Between 1963 and 1975, I worked very little. The Beatles had come to New York and changed music – all the solo singers were out of work."

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/sep/04/neil-sedaka-singer-songwriter

davidKOS likes this.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    By that criteria, classically trained opera singers are not valid performers.

15. Dadocaster

I'm ok with that.

Ebidis likes this.

16. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    First of all, any of us internet dwellers should be so lucky to be able to play half as good as any Beatle.

It’s insane to give any room to any argument that they weren’t good, or up to anyone’s standard.

I can’t “imagine” listening to the Beatles and thinking “its a shame these guys can’t play this perfect song they wrote.”

17. Dadocaster

I have not been privy to what goes on in the recording sessions of other people/bands. Just some amateur projects long ago and more recent stuff with me and the kid. The stuff I write currently is dead simple yet the kid and I sometimes struggle to play a particular song or passage when the record button is pushed. Sure it's not just dado, boyo, and Ringo. :D

18. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Strat-Talk Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Texas
    For me, the Beatles were my first major musical influence, starting that February 1964 night on the Ed Sullivan show, when I decided I had to learn to play guitar.

Through the Beatles, I "discovered" Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and others, when I began to realize that many of the early songs they did were written by other performers. It then followed from groups like the Stones, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Cream, that I paid attention to their blues influences (Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, etc.)

It was a sort of backwards set of discoveries that started for me, with the Beatles.

19. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Strat-Talk Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Texas
    It is also interesting to me to realize how many well-known performers also cite the Beatles (and especially their appearance on the '64 Sullivan show) as major influences. Including Tom Petty, Glenn Frey, Rodney Crowell, Joe Walsh, Ann and Nancy Wilson.

It's a bit weird to think that while I was on the floor in front of the TV that night watching the Beatles, so were Petty, Frey, Crowell, and many others who went on to become great singers/guitarists/performers.

fattboyzz and craigh like this.