Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

2. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    It's evident they had an influence on Lady Gaga.

rs-245574-The-Beatles-Yesterday--Today.jpg lady-gaga-meat-dress-fwx.jpg

davidKOS likes this.

3. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    Guessing Quincy wasn’t watching Ed that night.

fattboyzz and LarryInTexas like this.

4. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

Sep 29, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    as far as musicianship goes...well...take The Beatles vs Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngvie Malmsteen, Buckethead, etc....

who sold more records?

just saying...musicianship doesn't have anything to do with mass appeal. If the songs are catchy, people are going to want to hear them. The average person doesn't care if the musician is playing the 5th mode of the harmonic minor scale in that solo, or tapping sweeps in the intro that song.

“Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can play weird-- that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple complicated is commonplace--making the complicated simple, awesomely simple--that's creativity.”
    Charles Mingus

words to live by.

Neil.C, davidKOS and fattboyzz like this.

5. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada
    During the "British Invasion years (64 - 70 roughly) my favorite bands were the Stones & the Animals. I realise now that was due to the excellent renditions of American Blues these bands produced. Prior to the Stones, I had never heard Blues music.

These days however, I listen to the Beatles far more than any other bands. The creativity & musicianship or the Beatles is inspiring IMHO. I never tire of the Beatles.

Yes I also own Michael Jackson's "Thriller" ( produced (I think) by Mr. Quincy Jones) but I can't remember the last time I played it.

Tuica and Sonny like this.

6. pumpkin

pumpkin Former Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Richmond VA
    ... I suspect your sarcasm is wasted. Quincy Jones is one guy and not the authority whether the Beatles were individually good musicians. And if they were adequate as musicians.. the hit songs, looks, performing ability and timing were perfect. No group was like the Beatles and kids didn't scream for any other group like they did for the Beatles. Quincy Jones.... so who cares what he thinks?

bolognahead and Sonny like this.

7. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Quincy who?
    I was curious and looked at his discography on Wikipedia and as I expected I’ve never owned a record, tape , cd or any other form of media with a song he produced

bolognahead likes this.

8. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Claiming dozens of unnamed blues and jazz musicians over decades were more influential than the Beatles misses the point, the Beatles changed everything literally overnight. There is a famous quote "Four Lads who shook the world "

Neil.C, davidKOS, Tuica and 1 other person like this.

9. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Quincy J. has a Jazz background and he is old school so his comments are really the standard of what a lot of Jazz guys think about everybody that is not a jazz guy. A lot of classical guys critisize everybody who is not a classical guy including jazz guys for not playing the right notes. Blues guys can critisize both because the lack of feel.....
    I don´t think that Quincy J. was trying to be mean but maybe he meant his truth by his standards... The beatles are still bigger than him or almost anything there is in this century and still they are the ones that will be remembered a hundred years from here.

There will be always controversy with guys like Kurt Cobain for example. I love Nirvana but some people look bands like that from an execution point of view which really misses the point of the message or the art. We don´t need everyone to like any band but I like to be objective with the music more than the analysis IMO.

10. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Yeah what a genius Quincy was. Who Else would have thought about Eddie Van Halen in the early 80s?

bolognahead and LarryInTexas like this.

11. Sonny

Sonny .. The smiles returning to the faces ..

Aug 9, 2009
    Ballerup Denmark
    Wow ...

Great and ridicuous thread at the same time

imo of course

bolognahead, guitarface and Groovey like this.

12. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I never thought this would go past 10 pages. Obviously a subject dear to everyone's heart.

bolognahead and Tuica like this.

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    There is a really Interesting doco on Netflix t the moment about the cultural impact of the Beatles, from how the working classes interacted with the media, through to their breaking down of the traditional class and social boundaries in the early sixties, there success forcing The establishment to adopt what would otherwise have remained anathema or fringe ideas, the Beatles were a touchstone for many of he countercultural currents in the 60’s without which the sixties experience might have been quite different

Their impact on music was only a small part of their social impact...

Neil.C, Tuica and BB Stratoholic like this.

14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo

15. Tuica

Tuica Strat-Talker

Jun 5, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, we have a lengthy stimulating exchange of ideas. Thanks for all of your contributions. Have a great week.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka R.P.M. (Retired Professional Musician) Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Which is why I think Carl Perkins was the real King of Rock'n'Roll . Carl could sing. Carl could write. And Carl could play. :)

Folk_Hogan likes this.

17. Tuica

Tuica Strat-Talker

Jun 5, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    You have some validity in your statements, stratman323. But I still hold to my comments. I never stated that the Beatles invented the art form. But they certainly advanced it to an unprecedented level of sophistication, and popularity. Who actually “invented “ music? Rock pounding Neanderthals from times way long past...Cheers="stratman323, post: 3073028, member: 9511"]Yes, easily.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    bolognahead likes this.

18. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    the Beatles were inspired to play rock by listening to Elvis, Perkins, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc.

Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly were among the first to record their own songs, though - another influence on the Beatles.

Sinatra was a big hit in his day - changed the world in that singers were now more important than the big bands

Elvis hit even bigger than Frank

The Beatles took it even further

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    He was way before his time...

I think the most important thing to take away from this statement is that all music began with Rock. :D

bolognahead, Tuica and T Guitar Floyd like this.

20. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Ok . . . but that still ain't Rock&Roll. (Maybe some kinda metal-pop) :)