Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    That’s true but black jazz and blues players had to struggle with discrimination before they really got the recognition they deserve.

Tuica likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka R.P.M. (Retired Professional Musician) Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    IMO, Carl's car accident in '56 was rock's first tragedy. It derailed his career, and others moved right past him. :(

3. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Anyone who thinks the Beatles were the worst musicians in history just haven’t heard me play yet...

4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Or The Beatles.

5. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    You're right , nothing cute or boy band. It's all about meter, meter I say. Well, that and clever spelling.:rolleyes:

Ebidis and vid1900 like this.

6. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    One other point, and I apologize in advance to punk fans:

If QJ thinks the Beatles were "the worst musicians in the world", then where was he when punk hit and these guys that couldn't play hardly at all were making "music"?

I know a couple of you mentioned punk bands in this thread, but there was a music style that was deliberately anti-musical, at least at first!

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...ir-instruments-are-jealous-of-metal-musicians

""The closest the 'art establishment' ever came to embracing metal was punk. The reason they embraced punk was because it was rubbish and the reason they embraced rubbish was because they could control it. They could say: 'Oh yeah, we're punk so we can sneer at everybody. We can't play our ****ing instruments, but that means we can make out that this whole thing is some enormous performance art.'"

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/1272947

"
    sid vicious couldn't play for ****, but that didn't matter because the sex pistols weren't about being able to master complicated chord structures or whatever, they were about screaming "**** YOU" as loudly as they could and playing any old chords as loudly and as badly as they could.

It just depends on what kind of music you want to create."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-curse-of-the-ramones-20160519

"It was a bitter reality for a group that, if it didn't invent punk, certainly codified it effectively – its stance, sound and attitude, its rebellion and rejection of popular music conventions – just as Elvis Presley had done with early rock & roll. The Ramones likely inspired more bands than anybody since the Beatles; the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Nirvana, Metallica, the Misfits, Green Day and countless others have owed much of their sound and creed to what the band made possible. The Ramones made a model that almost anybody could grab hold of: basic chords, pugnacity and a noise that could lay waste to – or awaken – anything."

"
    But he found time to give some famous advice to the Clash, who were nervous they were under-rehearsed: "We're lousy, we can't play," Johnny reportedly told Joe Strummer. "If you wait until you can play, you'll be too old to get up there." The Ramones set the standard for a new, democratic aesthetic. "

http://punk.wikia.com/wiki/Punk_Rock

"It was against everything popular. In some cases, this was intentional, in others (like The Ramones) it was because the band couldn't play well enough to be a "regular" band, "

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/2013-03-06/music/punk-rock-is-bull****/

"Punk taught us to rebel against authority until “authority” included everything: piano lessons, fire insurance, leather shoes, and, ultimately, growing up."

" If anything, the mantle of “punk rock” was an umbrella to describe a reactionary retro-ness, a feeling that music was best played with old-fashioned dumb energy, simple to the point of being simplistic—which not coincidentally corresponded to the period of the widest proliferation of recreational drug use in world history. It was music to validate being too wasted to think."

"punk bands reveled in intentional awfulness, too unsophisticated to realize that their rebellion was the most tedious brand of art-school preciousness and spoiled-kid-who-doesn’t-want-to-practice-his-instrument crybabyism."

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2002/may/28/artsfeatures1

"
    Face it - punk was rubbish....The Sex Pistols can barely play their instruments. Each tuneless thrash that passes for a song sounds the same as the one before. And while the spotty, under-nourished front man knows how to sneer, he certainly doesn't know how to sing. ........
    I hated its lack of imagination, its absence of musicality and its empty nihilism. Yet today, as we face a nostalgic jubilee around the 25th anniversary of the Pistols' God Save the Queen, it has become heretical to point out that punk actually wasn't very good.

In fact, the so-called new wave happened not because of punk but despite it, as those who could write proper songs and had some genuine musical ability began to reassert more traditional values. "

OK, this is not so much to dis punk, but to point out that QJ was way off base.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ebidis, Mesaman and T Guitar Floyd like this.

7. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    I've had Steve Jones sitting in my office at MGM. We were spotting The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle (Temple had no notes or cue sheets) when Steve noticed that I had guitars and amps next to my edit bay.

He said "F' the film, lets play." So we did. Eddie Cochran tunes, any old r&r, and Steve was on it. Great sense of meter too. Granted this was 25 years after the Pistols, but he could definitely play. The entire floor jammed into my office. It was awesome!:)

Ebidis, Cerb, Textele and 2 others like this.

8. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    I stand corrected!

9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Steve was funny. "Mate, you make me look like a third rate wanker".

Me: "Well yeah....I've been playing longer than you, but you were in the right place at the right time".

10. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    An actual rock n roll legend.

Yes, he did learn to play while in the Sex Pistols..

Glen Matlock was a fan of songwriting and the Beatles and suspended chords and 7ths.. and all that characteristically aren’t “punk”, and had an influence on Steve Jones.

Steve Jones was a natural

Don’t get me started on the Clash

davidKOS and fezz parka like this.

11. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I love him

fezz parka likes this.

12. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Steve: Chris, how do you stay so f'n thin? Were not young you know.
    Me: I don't eat like a f'n pig. :)

Lydon came by one day. Behaved like an English gentleman....with tennis ball green hair.

13. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Cranky old musicians love to lay it on. Hell I heard Ginger Baker say that he wished that they had not done Cream so Heavy Metal would never have been invented. I laughed a lot about that, Ginger Baker thinks he invented heavy metal...hehe...what an ass! Quincy Jones is just a fat old man whose time has long passed.

14. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Exactly.

Quite Riot made a career of copying Slade songs.

Their drummer could not play any of the complex beats.

Their bass player mostly played whole notes, skipping the complex runs

But the American kids ate it up.

It's not about talent, it about entertainment.

15. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Dick Blackmore likes this.

16. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Plenty of punk bands were great musicians.

Like Propagandhi for instance:

davidKOS and Folk_Hogan like this.

17. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    Well said. Many people think if you want a song to be good you need a ripping guitar solo and a bunch of other clear indicators of musical prowess... But that's just not true.

John Frusciante once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "When it was time for me to play a solo, I took the song into account. It wasn't a blank canvas where I could show off. I played what the song needed."

That mindset right there is what gives you those "simple" solos that just fit so perfectly into the music and turn it into an okay song, into a great song.

18. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    And such a pleasant voice

Mesaman and vid1900 like this.

19. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

fragility is a heavy burden.

20. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    A lot of actual musicians worked under some sort of "punk" genre label. Heck, the Police even milked the punk thing for marketing their complex pop music.

My comment were about the punk players that were not proficient musicians (and happy to be so), and the idea was not to bash punk per se, but to point out that there were obviously "worse" musicians than the Beatles.