Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The best way to remove a nut?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Gypsy Eyes, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gypsy Eyes

Gypsy Eyes Strat-O-Master

Hi guys, I just wanna know the best, or 'proper' way to remove a strat nut from it's slot. Also, where I can get the right glue for it to go back in.

Thankyou very much.

2. oakhills

oakhills Strat Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

you can use a flathead screwdriver to pry it loose, then use some pliers to take it out. A couple drops of elmer glue will secure the new nut

3. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

I thought you were supposed to use a chainsaw.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

take an exacto-knife and cut on its outlines, then take a block of wood and a small hammer and give it about 3 or 4 little "knocks" towards the neck, and then towards the headstock... do this a bunch of times and then place the block on the side of the nut and push. it will just come out from the side.

6. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Voyce has good advice.........tap it gently and in most cases it will easily come out. Never ever you crazy glue or such.......you literally need a toothpick size drop of wood glue, just to hold it in place.

7. Gypsy Eyes

Hey Thaus and Voyce, Definitely the best advice i've heard! I was just thinking, about the finish, but then the exacto-knife clears that up nicely! Thanks alot!

8. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can also try a hair-blower to heat up any glue........sometimes really helps for ones that are stuck in place. Biggest mistake most make is to apply too much glue. It really is there to lightly hold it in place. I have a few guitars where I don't have any glue holding the nut in place and they've been there for years.

9. Gypsy Eyes

Yeah, I've glued neither of my strat nuts in (Squier and another copy), but this one (Fender!) seems to have been glued first so I wanna put it back that way! Haha

10. Gypsy Eyes

I don't believe this, my parents say take it to a tech, to simply remove it and put it back in the other way round.

11. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

your parents must be nuts! haha!
    if the nut is already on there with the glue.. i wouldnt bother taking it out just to put it back in... maybe for a little practice actually.
    is the nut glued in like that from the factory?
    you know what type of glue it is?

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Check out the "Spacklehoss" tutorial, which you can pull up with your favorite Search tool.

I like "gutting" the old nut down the middle, then removing the remaining bits around the edges. I've tried cutting the nut free to knock it out, only to have a big punky piece of the maple come along with the residue of the nut. Others describe the same misadventure. Admittedly I was re-doing 30 guitars with soft plastic nuts, but I learned my lesson. I gave the guitar with that neck away.

I agree with Thaus; you need just a whisper of yellow glue for the new nut. Just glance at the glue bottle - that should be enough. :^

13. Pukiman

Pukiman Strat-Talk Member

Tap lightly with a flat head screwdriver and a mallet on the side of the nut it should come out and if it is stubborn as some one already mentioned bring out the Chainsaw, the sight out that would just make the nut co-operate works everytime for me.

14. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

At least here in Texas, the easiest way to remove a nut is to try bull riding :)

15. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

i always use a couple of drops of elmers glue for nuts

16. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    so THAT'S why you can only use one hand on the rope. the other hand is for your guitar. always wondered about that..:D

17. nadzab

nadzab Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Same here. And I use a nail set and a small hammer to tap them out, when they must be removed.

18. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I hear that everything from zip-tie restraints to straightjackets have been used with very successful results! The catch is, you've got to have a secure place to keep them afterwards...

19. flat_twin

flat_twin Strat-Talker

Nut removal??

My neighbor is a farmer and he says just put a real tight rubber band on it and it will fall off on it's own in about three weeks. YIKES!!

20. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

that's how my mum and stepdad castrate their bull calves

21. beachgod

beachgod Strat-Talk Member

Sorry about the necrobump especially since I have a low post count but I really want to thank Voyce for the advice in post #4. My Strat has been put away for months due to a nut that got filed way too low and I got it out today, followed Voyce's directions and did a nut removal/replacement with no problems. I put a tiny drop of Elmer's ® glue on each end and am getting ready to string it up and jam.