Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Deville is gone, long live the Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Lonn, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Sold my Deville 212 this morning and then traded a recently acquired Schecter Tempest Standard for this new Katana 50. Looking forward to tinkering with it, and now I've got some loot for more guitar shopping.

[​IMG]

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Much easier (Id think) to handle at in home volumes than the Deville

Congrats!

Nate D likes this.

3. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    One of the few amps I have yet to try. I hear good things and it is a Boss product...

4. Lonn

Admin Post
    I haven't even had a chance to turn it on yet with all the hubbub around here. I had the guy trading it to me use it to test out the guitar I was trading him. Maybe today I'll get some time with it.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    HNAD. :)
    I've had mine a year now, the thing to remember when fettling your settings is "less is more".

6. NorCalSand

NorCalSand New Member!

Dec 8, 2017
    NorCal
    Recently brought home the Katana 100w 112. To my ears, at home volumes, it is easily the nicest sounding amp I’ve had, if you factor in how easy it is to get usable tones. I’ve had:

Mesa Boogie Mk 5, Mk 5 35, Stilletto, Fender Tweed Deluxe and Princeton Reverb (Marsh hand wired clones), Tweed Champ (hand wired), and I think there was a Super Reverb which was amazing. Some of these had certain not so easy to dial in settings that sang at concert volume, but so loud! I just want a great sounding, versatile, easy to use amp, and this is it.

I’m playing a MIM David Gilmour clone (DG20). Playing it largely on clean with volume just high enough to slightly cover up the acoustic sound of the strings, and it is amazing. Tone 1 and 2, 5-7.

I’d have picked up the 50 but the local shop only had the floor model. The 100 was about $135 more, which I swung by selling a couple pieces of gear.

I did note later that the 212 has more back panel features but that version was not discussed and was about double the cost over the 50. I walked in to return a Marshall CODE. Nice but not simple enough for my needs, and salesman showed me the 50. Plugged in a new fender pro strat, instant nervana. All channels sounded good maybe great.

If this thing holds up it will easily be my favorite amp I’ve ever owned. (Assuming it sounds as good loud as it does quiet, which I haven’t tested)

johnnymg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Your ganna regret it Lonn....

Trust...

Thought Id feel the same about keeping thr cube over the Blues Deluxe....just used it for cleans and pushed it when I wanted some air movin.....

Big mistake.....Modeler just dont jive as nice....YOU know?

8. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Not going to lie, I totally read the first part as the devil is gone.

I was like whoa, holy warrior here.

nuculer terrist and fattboyzz like this.

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    HNAD !

I've noticed you are quite the horse trader, so I'm sure another Fender amp is just waiting to be plucked ....lol

Is that a mint green guard ?

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Depending on your tastes some amps could certainly take on that moniker.

Thrup'ny Bit and nederemer like this.

11. Lonn

Admin Post
    Mint guard, yes. No regrets here, I'm not a tube amp snob.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca

Well.......................... we're waiting for the big reveal.

Is that Katana a keeper or is it off to CL? :p

13. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Great amp. I bought one a few weeks ago just because I finally saw one in a store since they're always sold out. I play it more than I thought I would. It just has a lot to offer. I love the boost while using the clean channel.

johnnymg likes this.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

PM me. I am running a betting pool on Lonn's acquisitions.

15. Lonn

Admin Post
    Still haven't had time to turn it on. Family here for a few more days so who knows when...

johnnymg and Yaralag like this.

16. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

I had the same amp. I sang it’s praises from my bedroom level jams but once I played it at band practice everything changed. It would probably have been ok played clean with all my pedals in front but that defeated the purpose I bought it for. I found the effects didn’t sound as good loud and when switching between channels I couldn’t get the volumes right. I’m sure if I spent much more time with it and used the software to tweak it I could have made a go at it but I don’t have the patience. I hope it works for you though. One things for sure it is compact and very loud.

17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost

18. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The volume difference is a real head-wall issue for me. It's "fixable" (via the SW) but WTF were the designers thinking??? IMO, this amp is borderline OK without SW tweaking............... IMO!!

Yaralag likes this.

19. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    I got a Katana 50 this Christmas for home use. As a practice amp on the half watt setting it is ideal. Then yesterday I took it to rehearsal and wow, seriously impressed. I used it like a single channel valve amp, rolling the volume on the Strat as I always do. It was brilliant. Also record with it and boy was it clear and sweet. It has changed my view considerably, so much so I'm considering selling the Musicman and getting a 100 watt 2x12 version.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

20. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI