Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The guitar you can never justify buying

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by CalicoSkies, Nov 25, 2017.

1. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    For me, it'd be a vintage strat. I love the vibe and sound of the 60s strats, and it'd be amazing to own a little piece of history, but I don't think I could ever justify the ridiculously high prices they go for. Even vintage strats that aren't 100% original are still going for over $10k.

Guitarhacker and Tuica like this.

2. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA

3. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I have 2 guitars I would replace if money was no object because I've owned them in the past:
    70' Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop (the early 2000's reissue would be fine)
    55/74 Les Paul Special

I can't see buying them now as I've got enough guitars and I don't need any more. I have some home renos which are on my list of more important things to put my money into.

4. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK

5. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Martin OM-JM. I don't even play acoustic I just love playing on that guitar. Also the 000-28EC

6. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Aside from the vintage crazy money stuff (‘59 Paul, ‘62 Strat, Telecaster, Broadcaster, ESes- all of which I would love to have!!), I couldn’t justify spending over a grand on anything new.

My total stable of 15 guitars I didn’t spend more than a few hundred each (at one time- and we all know upgrades and mods don’t make it more valuable).

7. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Im set for guitars.

I still would like a guitar by Ron Kirn but, its not likely to happen.

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Anything over $600.00
    And
    I should lower that bar...

Ego aside...
    I'm in a constant state of buyers remorse...

xfabianromerox likes this.

9. xfabianromerox

xfabianromerox Strat-Talker

Nov 22, 2015
    Long Island, New York
    I was not exactly sober one day and saw a Les Paul Custom on Reverb for a good price and ended up buying it. Two seconds after I hit confirm purchase, I regretted the purchase and slapped myself in the face. I ended up getting fired from my job not too long after. Definitely the worst buy I've ever made. Sounds killer though :(.

10. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland

11. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    My American standard . That I bought few years ago
    . Still can't justify

12. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

No not really...

I have my dream guitar, and any other lust I get would just be a variation of what I already have. so I think im ok on the guitar front, I am extremely happy...

I have no real desire to own a vintage strat, I have owned a few vintage Gretsch and Gibsons in the past and they were super nice, but honestly they left for a reason. there is so much hype surrounding vintage guitars that they tend to feel less like a tool, and more like an RRSP. so away they went.

I think the only thing I really would want that I cant justify buying would be another property. something with 6 to 8 units that I could rent out to my friends and keep them in a nice clean spot without robbing them blind. but thats pipe dream carver.

13. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    These.
    I bought them both in 2011. I couldn't really afford them but I wanted them. It took over half of my meager savings at the time.
    You only live once.

S Mac

Gretsch 6120 jr P1010038.JPG

Gretsch 6128 Duo Jet DSV P1010015.JPG

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    West Coast Idea likes this.

14. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    A butterscotch blonde Telecaster. I want one in the worst way, but seeing as I already have 2 Telecasters spending money on a third is out of the question.

15. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Couldn't justify buying my 'birthyear' Tele.

[​IMG]

Drove 3 times back and forth to Köln with cash at hand, returned without it every time.
    Played it for hours at the shop, just couldn't justify buying a guitar that costs 8 times more and isn't (at least) on par (quality and spec wise) with my Tokai Breezy.

[​IMG]

Dan_Q likes this.

16. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I always think I have my 'dream guitar', my 'dream camera', my 'dream TV', my 'dream road bike' etc etc. Every time I acquire that dream item, I'm thrilled for a few weeks and the dream grows and I want something even further reaching. My obsessive personality is never satisfied. I'm the perfect American marketing target. I love to get new stuff. (at least with guitars there's always the potential for some return on investment in an emergency)

So guitars may be out of my league from an ability perspective, but I look at them as works of art. So even if my talent doesn't justify having them, my appreciation for owning and displaying them does.

Birth-year Strat and Les Paul custom would be goals down the road.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

17. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    Yeah, that's quite a chunk of change! Sounds like you've got the Tele angle covered.

felis likes this.

18. Guitarhacker

Guitarhacker Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2013
    California
    My guitar teacher had this lovely Gibson L5 and it just sounded so nice. But its just too expensive and I'm too lousy a jazz player to ever justify spending that much.

19. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    The guitar I can never justify buying......

How about this 1958 Les Paul that I played at Gruhn in Nashville. A bit to high for me at $175,000 :eek:

58LP.jpg

The '53 was only $35,000 (maybe 25k..I don't remember)...I might be able to justify that! :sneaky:

53lp.jpg

Guitarhacker likes this.