Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Hardest Wait Begins

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by unionjack515, Jan 9, 2018.

1. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Bonus time...and the best way to invest part of that money is with a new Kirn T. I was inspired by the attached tortoise pickguard. So I ordered that and started brainstorming on the rest of the guitar. Reminded me a bit of Prince’s Madcat, but I wanted a twist. So I’m going with a pine body and a flame maple cap with a quartersawn maple neck and black clay markers. Everything with a polished vintage tint. The second photo illustrates what I’m hoping for on the top in figure and finish. Satin finish on the back of the neck. Haeussel TE Vintage pickups, Callaham vintage hardware and 4-way switching. Should be a nice bright-sounding guitar and this is my first with the series/parallel option; I’m especially excited about that. And in a few short months, I’ll be stalking the delivery man. IMG_8352.JPG IMG_8346.JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

2. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Piece number one arrived today. A little more trans amber than the pic from the ad, just as I requested. Bill Asher at Asher Guitars looks like he did spectacular work. IMG_8355.JPG

3. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Just finished up with Haeussel. Leaning heavily on their expertise here—they asked me to describe the sound I wanted, how the guitar will be constructed and who my influences are, and developed a plan to customize their standard broadcaster-spec pickups by using geometric winding on Alnico 3 magnets and underwinding. Over my head for the most part, but the goal is to reduce the output, up the warmth and scoop the mids a bit. Hoping to counter the potential for this guitar to be on the brighter side (pine body, maple top, maple neck). Pickups, check.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.

4. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Body has been selected. Flame cap will be finished in gloss, back and sides in satin. DSC_4478 2.jpeg DSC_4479.jpeg

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Looks great so far, cant wait to see it. I love the pickguard.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    That looks sweet!
    Never heard of those pickups have you used them b4?

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Yes—by far my favorite pickup maker. My other Kirn T has the same bridge pickup and a humbucker called a ‘59 made by the same gentleman. I’ve also got an R8 in which I’ve traded the Custom Buckers out for ‘59s.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.

8. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Decided on the Callaham American Standard 3-saddle bridge. Stainless E-A and brass for the other two (unlike the pic). IMG_8371.JPG

9. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I feel like an idiot asking this but does it have anything to do with Ron Kirn? I keep seeing Kirn but Ron is the only Kirn I'm familiar with.

10. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Yep. He’s building it.

11. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I'm so excited for you!!! I've been drooling over his guitars for years!! Can't wait to see it when he's done!! Congratulations!

12. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Thanks! I really enjoy the process with Ron and his attention to detail is the reason why I come back. My first custom build with him was the semi-hollow mahogany body flame maple top flame maple neck seen below. The middle position is absolute heaven, and the guitar sustains for decades. I wanted to go for something more traditional Tele this time, but still with plenty of one-off touches.

Ron just let me know that he cut the top on the current build today. So, more pics soon to come. IMG_7888.JPG IMG_7889.JPG

fattboyzz and owenmoney like this.

13. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    Ron has picked out an absolutely incredible top for this guitar:

DSC_4482.jpeg

14. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Man, that tele is a beauty!!! I can't wait to see the new one!! His guitars are works of art!!

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Limbo
    Great project! Love the pickguard!!!

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    I’m currently testing out my photoshopping skills to try to get some trans tint on the body pic and superimpose the pickguard. And maybe get rid of Ron’s thumb. That has to be the most published thumb on the internet.

garyhoos1 and abnormaltoy like this.

17. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    That is going to be some guitar, RK does some fantastic work

Love the pickguard too.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

18. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    It would be a shame to cover up that beautiful flame with a pickguard.

henderman likes this.

19. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    I kept this one free of obtrusions. The pickguard on the current project is a work of art in and of itself...personally I think it’s just as nice to look at as the flame top. IMG_7888.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018

20. unionjack515

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    I just did this quickly on my phone...looks promising though... IMG_8459.JPG

trevanorak and garyhoos1 like this.