Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The importance of the wood?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by cappei, Nov 25, 2017.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    So, guitar are mostly made of wood. How importante is that?, I mean, can you get a good body of solid wood and work your way up?

had a 94 les paul and worked just fine. Let's say a pacifica of alder, a korean 1:1 affinity of solid alder ... how better can it get if you change every cheap part it has ... how much importance does the wood have?

What does it means cheap guitar? wood, just components?

Im wondering since I've been buyin a couple yamahas for their solid body to upgrade their hardware, since, despite of been from taiwan, they got excellent quality controls and solid bodys

what are your thougths on this matter, since I've seen a lot of parts-caster in this forum

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    A guitar is the sum of its parts. There are no good or bad parts only parts that go well together or parts that don't. All in my opinion of course.

muso.greg likes this.

3. Thin69

Thin69 Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    It matters so much more in an acoustic guitar. In an electric I don't think it matters near as much as the pickups. The only problem with upgrading an electric guitar it is likely not to increase the value or decrease the value of the guitar. Everyone seems to like all original. Of course that hasn't stopped me, lol.

4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    You could build yourself a great guitar from an inexpensive body no problem.

It does not have to be a particular wood or from a certain name brand, it just has to work.

5. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Look up Fender cardboard guitar.

In an electric the player, amp, pedals and pup's matter more than wood. Acoustic guitars is where type and placement of wood matter.

Only thing different woods can do, is last longer. Some woods are harder than others, which means they can handle more abuse. In an electric, I'm more worried about the wood used and how it is used in the neck, than the body.

Dick Blackmore likes this.

6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    To me the most important part of a guitar is the neck, it's essential to me that it has the right profile and shape, radius and fretwork and built well. If that's all set I'm good to go, I know a lot of basic models usually have basswood but a lot of high end Ibanez and Jackson guitars are made with basswood and they fetch high prices.

To me how it's built it's more important than what was used to build it.

Dick Blackmore, cappei, Cerb and 2 others like this.

7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    as long as I feel comfortable with a neck, I can deal with anything.

8. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Most John Petrucci music man guitars are basswood also. He's one of my personal favorites.

Tone Guru and Guy Named Sue like this.

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    The deal is wood matters to a certain extent between say a squire and an American strat in that you'll likely be getting a multi piece body in a squire of maybe 3 pieces. Typically you'l have at most 2 on an American and possibly one solid. If th t doesn't matter to you then by all means do whatever.

I personally like ash because of the grain it looks most appealing to me and all of my guitars are transparently finished so you can see the beauty.

skypeace and Nate D like this.

10. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    Guitars (or any musical instrument) are a very personal thing. One person can thing one Strat is the most beautiful, perfect instrument in the world. Another may think that same Strat sounds awful and plays horribly. It’s hard to measure what makes a guitar special to its players. If you like certain pickup and you like the way it sounds, you should buy it if you can. If a certain piece of wood sounds good to you, buy it. But I don’t think anyone can tell you exactly how important the wood is to the guitar- but once you plug it in and play it, you’ll if it’s the guitar for you.

11. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Wood is aesthetically pleasing. Wood matters because it came from something alive. Perhaps it touches a part of us on an existential level that defies logic.

I can make an instrument out of lexan or aluminum but I doubt I could ever bond with it.

However, it also contributes greatly to tone and timbre. I too once belived that with electrics, the electronics were all that mattered. I was quite mistaken. If ever the opportunity presents itself, try moving a set of pickups between bodies of different wood and listening for one's self. Depending on the woods, it's quite amazing.

skypeace and Bladesg like this.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

13. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    To me (when strapped around my shoulder), the weight.

Tone Guru and ryunker like this.

14. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    The wood is just there to hold the pickups.

15. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

In many cases it is a differens between vintage wood in lets say a 50's guitar and a brand new when you play them acoustically. Does that matter? It's up to the player to decide.

It is a differens in tone between maple, rosewood, ebony fretboards or if the guitar has ash or alder body or a maple top etc. Does it matter? It's up to the player to decide.

16. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    Been here before. As people have said, it's the sum of the parts reacting together. Any sound differences will be very small until you factor in pick ups and amps though resonance and sustain improvements can be detected. How you play is also a big factor.

skypeace likes this.

17. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Don't judge all cheap guitars by Pacificas they are extremely well made guitars for the money. A very good musician I know swore that he got his best guitars by buying second hand Pacifica 112s for around £50 to £80 and adding DiMarzio pickups

cappei likes this.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    If the wood holds the other parts in the positions they're supposed to be in it's doing the job. Anything else is a bonus. The best suited and most stable wood for this purpose is of course, high grade plywood.

skypeace likes this.

19. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    Rather than caring about 'with what its built or where its built', we should care about 'How its built'.

cappei, rolandson and Ebidis like this.

20. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Canada
    It's worth remembering Leo Fender used ash, alder, and maple because those woods were readily available.

skypeace and Nate D like this.