Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

The Mexican guy who designed for Rock Stars, Movie Stars and Presidents

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Aug 13, 2018.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This is pretty cool, I didnt know this being Mexican American but seeing a program I found out about Manuel Cuevas who apparently designed alot of the iconic clothes and symbols we all know. He designed the outfits such as everything to James Deans blue jeans and white tee, Clint East woods Good Bad and Ugly, Johnny Cash and his all black look, The Beatles Seargent Peppers outfits, made the gloves for Micheal Jackson, made clothes for Ronald Reagan, made the iconic white jump suit and the gold suit for Elvis, continues to design for the likes of the Killers and Lady Gaga and on and on and on.

Pretty amazing.

I was like damn, this is crazy, I never new this!!!!

Pretty crazy that a guy had such a huge impact on culture I wasnt even aware of. He apparantly got into a fight with the director of THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY over the outfits...."This is a cowboy movie.....what kind of cowboys are these, I want better designs, this work is horrible!?!?".

Apparently the director was going to let Cueva go unless he changed the outfits but he wouldnt change a thing and said that his work was the best and he took pride in it and if didnt like it it he would just leave but Clint Eastwood stood up for him and said that the look made the movie as much as anything else.

"If Cueva leaves, I leave with him Mr. Director". Damn, thats pretty cool!!! Dont mess with Clint, unless you feel lucky hahahahha

Manuel Cuevas isn’t your typical clothing designer. He’s the man who hand-crafted Elvis’ signature gold lamé suit and made Johnny Cash into “The Man in Black,” and he’s sewn clothing for more superstars than he can count — Bob Dylan, James Dean, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra.

He casually refers to Marilyn Monroe and Raquel Welch as “his girls,” and he’s responsible for the notorious insignias of both The Rolling Stones and The Grateful Dead. He’s dressed presidents, athletes, dancers and artists, and he created the wardrobes of more than 90 movies and 13 television shows. Over the years, he’s dressed everybody who was anybody.

Born in the small town of Coalcomán, Mexico, Manuel’s true fascination with his art form began when he was only seven years old. His older brother, Adolfo, taught him how to sew, and he began making all of his own clothing. When he later moved to Los Angeles, he worked for several tailors, including Sy Devore, who was famously the tailor for The Rat Pack. Soon after, he moved to making costumes at Nudie’s famous western store in Hollywood, where he designed suits for people like Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger. After working with Nudie’s for 14 years, he relocated to Nashville, Tennessee in the early ‘80s to continue his work in the music industry.

https://www.freundevonfreunden.com/workplaces/manuel-cuevas/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Truly amazing information, I never knew this either. Way cool.

abnormaltoy and The-Kid like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    Very interesting. Never really took into consideration the wardrobe.

circles, The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Amazing information, the guy certainly did have a wide influence.

The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    Fantastic story! Thanks for posting.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Cool after seeing that western series recently.

7. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Very cool information.

I'd rather see the title of the thread as:
    The guy who designed for Rock Stars, Movie Stars and Presidents

The guy doesn't need a qualifier (is that the right word?)

Who is that guy?, well Manuel Cuevas of course.

Who is Manuel Cuevas? The guy who designed for Rock Stars, Movie Stars and Presidents

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    circles, The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah I know but I really want and he wants people to know hes Mexican and hes proud of it and hes also proud of being in America and being American.

Ideally I totally agree with what your saying but in todays day and age its nice to recognize and acknowledge other identies and cultures in ones society that contribute to the whole picture. Not saying that you do that but it would be nice for people to realize America is more than one or two shades of difference and that many people with different cultures, ethnicity, contribute to how great our country is.

Highlighting the "The Mexican" or the "South African" or whatever is not so much a qualifier as it is just hey "check me/them out, bet you didnt know this about our/their culture, we/they contribute as much as everyone else and are part of the country too". Not meant to offend anyone.

I know people are not hateful here and stuff but I just wanted to showcase this guy who is pretty Amazing and has had a huge influence on a lot of the culture we appreciate here, and probably more than half of us were unaware of this fact. Its just a cool story and I hope others find it inspiring and eye opening.

I guess the message here is the difference in our community brings out the best in us as a whole and weaves an even stronger society. Embrace difference.

Dare1 and circles like this.
  9. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    For reals, I was like no way....

At first okay he did the Beatles and Elvis....and who else!!?!?!

Like everyone apparantly hahahah Micheal Jackson, James Dean, Marylin Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Lady Gaga, The Rolling Stones, Jack White and on and on and on.........

Probably alot of iconic artist you know, the most famous ones were probably dressed by this guy at one point in some of their most iconic images, its just unbelievable but its true and its pretty amazing.

10. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow. I wonder how many other people have had these roles and have flown completely under the radar.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah like the guitar tech for the stars, or the Album cover designer, really never made me think about other things that go into the band, stars and professionals and the unknown people that are also a part of the work.

circles likes this.
  12. optofonik

optofonik Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2015
    Californiia
    Thanks for posting this. It’s a great interview with an amazing guy.

The-Kid likes this.
  13. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Thanks I figured many would take from the story and find inspiration in the guys work. Its pretty amazing.

Cheers