Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The myth of MIA being better....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by The-Kid, Dec 6, 2018.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I would not pay the high prices for vanity sake.

I'd rather build my own .

I played a 2014 Fender Am Std at GC yesterday . It was a gorgeous guitar ,but was not as nice to play as the new MIM player Strat. To be honest ,neither one played as good as my $250 Squier partscaster . Nor did they sound as good :0)

20181102_175119.jpg

2. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    My MIM CPs are every bit as good as my MIA Fenders.

But if you live in the US and were ever laid off due to outsourcing (or maybe had a family member or friend this happened to) then you would have reason for the “buy American” sentiment.

3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2017
    The Heartland
    1. Is there a difference between a Porsche and a Volkswagen? Yes.
    2. Is it enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost? It's up to each buyer to decide that.
    3. Is the answer to #2 the same for every buyer? No.

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    "One would hope that the American made one would be better because of the higher price paid".

If you were to break down the pricing scheme that Fender USA is mired in, then you might realize that the final price of the guitar is naturally going to be higher than foreign competition. It simply costs Fender more to make the instrument in America than it would in some offshore facility.
    So if you are basing the overall quality of MIA based on it's price, then, in many cases, you would be wrong.
    The same would apply to the constant Gibson/Epiphone comparisons.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my MIA Fenders, and Gibsons. I'm just trying to be realistic about how those prices are set.
    Think about it.

RobZ69 and Guitarmaan like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

So glad these guys made this pop up store and marketing program.

Of course, this is a pile of fun too

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    So you're making the point that a pop up guitar shop could sell $80 guitars at Custom Shop prices? I'd like to see that video.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    There are good MIM guitars, but the MIA has better wood choices, better hardware, better pickups, way better finish, more careful construction, better shielding, better setup.

Look at this MIM I bought earlier this year to see what your dollar currently buys from Mexico:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/fender-limited-edition-blue-burst-hss-strat-unboxing.466366/

Stratbats likes this.
  8. mechanic

mechanic Strat-Talker

I don't think it has much of a case.
    If you try and buy an American guitar I feel the chance of getting " the one" go up a bit.
    But it depends on the individual guitar in question.
    I found a Chinese made Tele clone by " Crafter" and it's everything I ever wanted in a Tele.
    It may or may not be " all that" for you.
    It's a really personal thing that's hard to explain to others.
    It either does it for you or not.
    Good luck!

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    American Telecaster is better.

10. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Classy.

Tone Deaf, Neil.C and oatsoda like this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    A great player...playing a Made in Indonesia Strat through a Gorilla practice amp....will sound better than a mediocre player playing an original '54 Strat through a tweed Champ.

Ebidis, Omar, henderman and 4 others like this.
  12. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    But a great player would rarely if ever choose to play a Made in Indonesia Strat through a Gorilla over a '54 through a Champ.

13. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    That reminds me, Johan Segeborn made a video on the Gorilla amps a couple weeks back:

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  14. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    My gorilla had the switch for "tube stack". Played it miked into the house board at the ice house back in 84. I was one bad dude!

Stratoholic likes this.
  15. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I suppose much of the old thinking at some point carried a certain amount of legitimacy. But as CNC machines became an international manufacturing standard, finish and component quality for things became more consistent the gap between levels of quality has narrowed.

It used to be when you went into a guitar shop you tried as many as you could till you found one that just looked and felt right. That hasn't changed, but what has changed is the likely origin of the instrument.

16. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I think the debates were more valid years ago. that gap .. at least mim and Mia ,has closed significantly. You can buy a mim and put locking tuners , a nice loaded pickguard with whatever pickups you want,and even change the trem for under 1k.

17. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Non-American Strats are just Fender's attempt at exploiting their own Brand-power. How much are you willing to pay for a Non-American made Fender? It's still a Fender right? Right?..... No. It is not. It is just an illusion. Because historically, original Fenders are not made by Mexicans. They are made by Americans. As soon as that guitar is made anywhere but USA....it ceases to be an American Fender. It might have the "Brand" of Fender on it, but it is not an American Fender. Made in Japan Strats are not American Fender Strats. They are Japanese Fender Strats. Same with Mexican. If you want to buy a Mexican Fender, then do it, and be proud you are buying a Mexican Fender. Mexican people made it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It's important to separate out the "Brand" of Fender, from the "Product" of Fender. Fender is an American company, founded in USA, and made great in USA... A product created for, and bought buy Americans.

The "Brand" of Fender, is just a Brand. You can brand anything anywhere any Brand you want to, and say "That's my Product"... the reality is...it is NOT your Product. It's only your Brand. Branded onto a Product made by an entirely different country and Nation of people.

And I am not sure why people are bringing up Indonesia or China, Indonesia and China do not make "Fender" Strats, they make "Squier", which is not "Fender" properly. They just look like Strats. And largely feel and sound like them. But don't be mistaken.

Squier is a Brand, in the same way Fender is. It means nothing until it gets plastered onto a "Product". The Product value dictates the value of the Brand. Good product? Good brand. It doesn't work the other way... You don't get to say "it's still my brand so it's therefore a good product"---- sorry. A good company will be very weary about their usage of the brand and how far they are willing to stretch it

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Stratbats and Will Lefeurve like this.
  18. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

Jul 24, 2018
    Nenc
    I like them all but some of the USA strats are made by Mexicans as well.

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA

For me I just hear sometimes people say something say regarding amps in Marshalls " The UK ones are better than the Vietnam ones", Vox amps " they were better when they were made in England" etc etc. Playing UK marshalls and comparing them to their vietnamese counterparts I have found the Vietnamese ones to sound better and constructed of top quality builds. Played a JCM800 and 900 UK built marshalls next to a new DSL40CR Vietnamese....both the JCMs sounded like farts and the Vietnamese ones sounded better and the pentometers didnt feel loose and were much more interactive in the EQ department.

Played the MIM Custom 68 Deluxe Reverb amps and I didnt even know it was made in Mexico until I looked at the back, amazing amp and excellent quality.Regarding guitars the best I have played IMO have been MIJ ones and although my MIM Classic Series strats may not be custom built to a perfect specific period like an AVRI its every bit of the guitar the MIA counter part is in terms of quality.

I guess what Im trying to say regarding quality is that to me the MIA or made in UK products dont hold a monopoly on quality products whether it be amps or guitars or just about anything from cars, which many would say American or European cars are garbage as far as maintenance/quality go to computers, cellphones, robots etc etc

In my experience with playing some overseas amps and seeing them go from their native countries like Fender making the 68 Custom in Mexico vs the US or Marshall making the Marshall DSL40CR in Vietnam vs UK or Vox moving from UK to China, the amps have not gotten anyworse and in some cases better as in the case of Marshall and Vox.If its done right and you keep using good quality components then your going to have a just as good quality amp as if it were made in the West.

The only reason I feel many perceive MIA products in case of guitars are "better" being made in the US is because a deeper process in techniques and attention to detail takes place and better materials are used woods, electronics vs their foreign counterparts but if those same materials and techniques would be taken to Mexico, Japan, China I have no doubt they would be perceived of the same quality.

enchantpth44 likes this.
  20. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Uh...it's opinion, personal taste, not myth.