Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The myth of MIA being better....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by The-Kid, Dec 6, 2018.

1. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Chinese are very industrious people. They work hard and understand business.
    No one should ever assume that a given country will automatically mean poor quality. But don't be fooled by Branding either. Don't assume that just because this "Brand" has been slapped on a product (made in who knows where), that it will be a good one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Andrew Wasson, Elvie, The-Kid and 2 others like this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    I didn't say choose...I just said play through.

I sat on the front porch of a friends house in Santa Monica back in the 80s. He produced Robben Ford's Talk To Your Daughter album. Robben, Scott and I were drinking and playing. Scott was playing his '53 Les Paul. I was playing my Strat. Robben was playing Scott's Dano U1. Who do you think was killing it? Robben. :)

3. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Except in this case the current MIM vs MIA is like a top tier Porsche vs the MIM which is a mid tier Porsche without the extra trimmings.

Hate me if you want but the gap between these two lines of guitars is basically down to a few cosmetic differences and a case coming with the MIA.

The days of huge quality differences and justification for double the price are gone.

Hell, the MIM Player series comes with Alnico pickups now that I’ve heard positive reviews on.. so there goes that argument.

The-Kid and Nadnitram like this.
  4. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    That’s great.

I can tell stories about how I pick up almost every MIA strat sitting on a store wall fresh out the box and shake my head that people pay that amount for a guitar that plays as bad as most that I’ve picked up. And these are display models meant to entice people to spend that money. Yikes.

A good $40-$60 set up (assuming you can’t do it yourself) and a loaded pickguard will get any MIM to what you essentially paid double and most likely a set up on top of that for.

Guitarmaan likes this.
  5. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    You'd need that loaded pickguard, a fret leveling (take a look at my pics), better tuners, bone nut, shielding kit (to finish the job), a case, even the strap pins are thin as tinfoil.....and after all that, you'd still have a neck that looks like they sealed the wood - but forgot to put finish on it.

With all the guitars that come across my bench, I'm convinced that with Fender, you get EXACTLY what you paid for.

Many would be better served paying $999 for an AmPro w/HSC than $599 for a MIM in a cardboard box.

rich815 and Stratoskater like this.
  6. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Except u are missing something.... "Double the price of MIM" is a misnomer. A Strat in 1950s = $2000-2500 Strat of today. ie. An American Original Strat or Elite is the going modern day equivalent.
    Everything below that price point is basically "not a real Strat"...

Because there were no "economy" models below that in 1950s. So in reality, forget MIM vs MIA, because even the Am Professionals/Standards Specials etc, along with all the MIM and Squiers are all "not real Strats". Not in the true sense of what Fender serves up as their modern equivalent Value Proposition.

Everything below that price point should be thought of as a bonus. So that anyone at any purchasing point can "own a Strat", a "real" Strat (MIM Squier lower tier MIA). It's all basically a bonus. Due to the massive improvement in manufacturing and economies of scale etc. outsourcing.

As I mentioned, you must separate the "Brand" of Fender from the "Product" of Fender. Fender makes Products and then they place their brand on that Product. Is it a "stamp of approval"? Is it a "guarantee" that this is a "real Fender"? Maybe. But not necessarily. And not tangibly.

Because if you adhere to the other logic, which states that "it's a real Fender because CC machines", and thus you can just plop a plant down anywhere on this planet and it will spit out "Fenders", then I guess. But then what is the value left over in "American Fenders"? That value then becomes completely eroded. So you can't have both. Either there is some sort of innate intrinsic "Premium" value of craftsmanship by virtue of a guitar being made in USA....or there is none. You can choose. They all have 6 strings and are made of wood.

Stratbats and Will Lefeurve like this.
  7. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    My frets were perfectly fine, no sharp ends and no leveling needed.

1.) Aren’t the tuners on stock MIA the same as MIM? Unless that specific model goes vintage tuners?
    2.) Stock MIM tuners worked fine for me when I had them. I switched to Gold Elites for looks and 18:1 ratio but there wasn’t anything wrong with the stock ones.

Still no bone nut on my strat, don’t care for one as the benefits are debatable and it’s not even that expensive if I wanted to put one in anyways. In no way would a bone nut push me towards one guitar over another.

Strap Buttons? Seriously? That’s reaching, and I’ve got to say I’ve never heard anyone complain about strap buttons on the MIM line.

I’ll give you the case being included.

And the satin neck is glorious. No idea why that was even put in your justification lol

Stop basing your issues with the MIM series on the lemon you got. Both MIA and MIM series have lemons out the box.

8. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    I’ve read your reply multiple times.

MIM standard $600
    MIM player $650

MIA Elite $1900

What am I missing? That it’s more than 2x the price?

9. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    My iphone pocket-dialed my response before I could fully edit it. It's got more info for you.

Yea it is more than 2x. But "2x" is the going rate for a "real Strat". Considering there were no other options below that in 1950s.

10. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    You're exactly right and that is due to Fender's marketing design.

There has to be a clear cut gradient and therefore pricing of models, they don't really want overlap of their Christmas tree model.

Models lower down the ladder from MIA generally have lower quality electrics and if not probably have to be pushed down the line quicker leaving less time for fettling each model ( I love my Classic series MIM but not one of the pickguard screws is in straight!)

Ignoring MIJ as they are home market only now and a separate entity, it's simply all down to Fenders marketing design and it goes, MIA, MIM, Squier. So all things being equal the MIA with the best components and most time spent on each guitar will probably come out on top.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Same with me on both my Strats and Teles.......................but the acid test was explaining to my wife why I paid £xxx more for the MIAs! I couldn't, really, just muttered about 'better finish, machine heads..........' Next time she wants new shoes it's gonna cost me, 'better finish, more comfortable.............'!

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    mm, define 'better'

13. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    My main 3 guitars were made by me, outside the USA. So far my experience is that non-MIA guitars are the best.

Raimonds and RobZ69 like this.
  14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm afraid that you blew your own argument clean out of the water when you made the ridiculous statement I have highlighted. If you had chosen your words more carefully, you could have said:

"Because historically, original Fenders are not made in Mexico. They are made in California"

That statement would, at least, be factually correct, even if rather irrelevant. You do seem to be getting yourself rather confused here, so let's look at who Leo employed in the golden days of Fender. I'm afraid that the answer is (to a large extent) Mexicans! :D Just look at the various names that crop up in Fender's history - a large percentage of them were Mexicans.

Fender will even charge you a great deal extra for pickups that were merely initialed by Abigail Ybarra. Does "Ybarra" sounds like a traditional English name to you?

I can't believe these discussions still take place in 2018! :rolleyes:

myllian, dirocyn, Nerd and 6 others like this.
  15. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    You choose your battles. But not wisely.

AfroBill likes this.
  16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I have no idea what you mean by that. Is that your way of conceding defeat?

17. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Of course you get what you pay for.
    Amazing how many people here somehow believe Fender (a company run by MBA financial guys) will sell you a $650 guitar that is as good as a $1300 guitar.

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It's also amazing how many people believe that if guitar A costs twice as much as guitar B, that proves that guitar A is inevitably twice as good. o_O

The-Kid likes this.
  19. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2016
    Ohio
    "A thread that starts with a generalization always goes nowhere. Quickly"
    Pretty much nothing more than click-bait.

20. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

Aug 23, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've seen both good and bad Fenders, at every price range. I flipped my AVRI 56, after buying a MIM Classic 50 that sounded and played as good. I still wasn't in love with the vintage neck and frets. So, I swapped the neck for a MIM, 22 fret, 9.5" radius and MJ frets. I would take a MIA neck over a MIM neck, 95% of the time. But this neck, is my favorite. It now see's more use than my American Strats. I put the vintage Classic 50 neck on my CV50. Not the norm, but they give my American models a run for the money.