Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

The new MIJ Tokai Strats

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by gusgorman, Sep 13, 2018.

1. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Still doubt me? :whistling::D

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well if they do, they're doing their best to keep it a secret. Which is a bizarre way to run a company.

3. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
  4. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well that translates the Japanese into Dutch. Which of course I have no need to speak because I rarely meet a Dutch person who doesn't speak almost perfect English.....

So how does it all work? Do the Tokai CS guitars have a special decal on them like the Fenders do? Do they come with a certificate of authenticity? If not, how do we identify them & know that they're kosher?

5. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    According to people selling guitars it would appear every brand has a custom shop and has had a lawsuit from Fender or Gibson.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You, sir, are an old cynic like me! :D

But that cynicism is founded on years of experience....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  7. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium

The 'printscreen' is in Dutch because it got tanslated to the language of my location, it can be done in English I believe. :D

How it works, in short; contact them (ask what's possible), fill in the form with your desired specs, pay, wait 5 months, certificated (paperwork, no special decal) custom order guitar gets send.

FWIW Gibson did sue Tokai and a verdict was declared (filed 2004, terminated 2009). ;)

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That doesn't sound like a setup that would suit me. It doesn't sound very well planned. Fender seem to have a more logical way of doing things. And it's not often that you'll find me saying that!!

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Agreed, I think Tokai kind of do things their way, other culture, smaller business models etc. Definitely not so much advertising (read export) minded anymore.
    In a different way it also works, although having a contact/connection probably makes it easier.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that a Tokai 'custom shop' (Tokai themselves called it "Tokai custom division') guitar, or even a Tokai 'lawsuit' model is not by definition unreal.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I read that they only do very limited runs, no more than five guitars, and very rarely. I don't know how true it is though.

felis likes this.
  11. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Smaller numbers indeed, my LS95S was from a batch of 6.
    In theory any individual can 'custom' (to the extend possible) order (one of or few pieces) a guitar that will get build to their prefered specs.

I do see dealers 'custom' order more (in Tokai sale terms) frequently. I think it also depends on how well they know you and you know them? ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Probably.

felis likes this.
  13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    All of which presumably means that trying to identify whether a used Tokai for sale is actually a "Custom Shop" model, & therefore worth several thousand £s more than a bog standard model, is somewhat difficult? No certificate to confirm what it is, no CS decal on the headstock, no special serial number, nothing.

I'm afraid that the only word that comes to mind is "ridiculous". And if a Tokai lover like me thinks that, I can't see the rest of the population being very impressed either.

14. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Thats the problem now, though, In the US they cost as much to get as a new Fender. Had the same issue with MIJs on craigslist with people thinking they were the holy grail of guitars when it was their price that set them apart Vs their quality.

15. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium

As said before, Certificate of authenticity (COA) should come with it.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Can someone explain what makes a new Tokai more desirable than a similarly priced Fender?

I understand, because the used market isn't as kind to Tokai as Fender branded Strats, there may be a little more value in a used one. But given the depreciation and the cost of a new Tokai - is there something about them people like more than a Fender Strat?

Curious.

felis likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    If I were to buy another guitar, it would be a Tokai. I only bought a Fender after my Tokai was stolen and finding one that I liked as much wasn't easy.

felis and LeicaBoss like this.
  18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    There must be or they wouldn't sell any. The Tokai brand has a good reputation where the name is known, & people like Japanese guitars, just read comments on here.

For me the question is more, why would I buy a new Tokai when I could buy an 80s example for maybe half the price? They're readily available & the best bang for your buck around, IMHO. So it's the so called "vintage" stuff that is cheaper & at least as good as the new stuff. Pretty much the other way round from the situation with Fenders! Imagine if, in the 80s you could have bought a 60s Strat for less than the price of a new one.

Tokai's old gear on the market spoils the market for the new stuff, as far as I can see.

LeicaBoss and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    For me it is the craftsmanship resulting in overall quality.

LeicaBoss and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    So, what I'm seeing is that people feel they are better made at a similar price point - good value. Maybe not too unlike Heritage vs. Gibson. Makes sense. Thx

felis likes this.