Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The new studio space begins

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by GuitarPix, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes thanks. :)

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    care to share?

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's not part of the prgramme.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Exterior views of my house leave no doubt as to it's location, which I prefer not to share. What's inside is my private world.

Robins likes this.

5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Awesome !! May look a little weird, but angle the glass a few degrees if you can. Can really help in a small room.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    i understand.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

7. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Missed that conversation about stonewalls and such.

In the meantime I put some framing around the opening where the window will be, and moved a bunch of junk in as well as put up a little bit more ceiling corner diffusion and bass trapage. Not having any money to really do special things I put an unused (and old) duvet in one corner and a couple of blankets in the other, and covered those with acoustic ceiling tile.

So far it sounding OK, I don’t get a lot of variation in the base moving around the room. Next will be adding more treatment to the flat walls and above the mixing station. Oh, and I put several cases of old paperwork in banker’s boxes behind the desk to trap some of the bass there. It’s not as good as a proper box of sand like you should use, but hopefully it helps a bit.

I’d love to cover the acoustic tile in the corners with some fabric. Ironically, I had a whole bunch of fabric (about six garbage bags full) that I gave away just a couple of weeks ago. It’s that old definition of junk being ‘stuff you throw away a week before you need it.’

Maybe I’ll just paint them.

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

2-Finger and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

8. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    By the way, the other computer station there is my server using a Mac Mini )hiding underneath the mouse pad) which is for backing up my photography, and it also holds my iTunes collection.

9. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Closing in on the final bits, which will have to wait for a cash infusion, including glass for the portal and some diffusion/absorption panels for the ceilings. But otherwise ready to go.

I used old towels behind a large sample canvas portrait from my portrait studio days, then stapled on a piece of one of the backdrops that I had painted myself to be an ‘artistic’ absorber behind the speakers. In the tracking area I used a memory foam mattress pad covered with an old duvet cover, pinned up with some grid wire that came from my garden but hasn’t been used in years.

So far this project only cost me a box of drywall screws and the wood to frame the portal since I had pretty much everything else on hand or I faked it from other materials.

10. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary

11. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary

12. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary

13. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Nov 24, 2016
    wisconsin
    Sounds Good ! Sound proofing would be the first thing I would do before any thing else... JMHO...

14. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    When I have lots of extra cash - yes.

Right now, no extra cash - but do have gear and space. I just want to be able to record the basics in a space I enjoy. The blue room is pretty isolated so it’ll have to do for now when doing acoustic instruments and vocals. Everything else will be DI or midi.

15. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    Sweet, I have a dedicated 4th bedroom for my Home Studio where I walk across the courtyard to get to it.

This means that people in the main house don't hear what's going on in there so it's private.

It was a ManCave but we turned it into JamCave Studio which is the same name as my YouTube Channel.

All the clutter on the walls are Automotive but they make a great sound treatment so I kept it.

It's Cars & Guitars for me anyway.

I know longer have multiple Computer monitors now (see fourth pic of my Studio Desk).

[​IMG]Home Studio 1 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]Studio 2 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]Home Studio 2 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by , on Flickr

bolognahead likes this.

16. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Hey jpjr50 - nice, cars and guitars are always a great combo.