Join Strat-Talk Today

The point of all of this...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 15, 2019.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

here's the thing.
    if you DONT have what you need to do what you want to do, you are smart enough to know what you need to do to get what you need to do what you want to do.
    for instance, if you are writing a piece of music but it's too hard to play, then you know your gonna need practice.
    and if you have a new piece of technology but don't know how to use it, then you know you're gonna need to read the manual.
    the list goes on.
    you have your brain, so yeah, I'd say you have what you need to do what you want to do, unless of course if you want to go to the moon. too late for that.

fezz parka and Deathray like this.
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

When I was young, I thought I wanted to be a rock star. I'll bet you did, too, although your mental picture of what it meant to be a rock star might have been different from mine.

I didn't dream about touring, drugs and groupies. I dreamed of living in a quiet house with a recording studio in it, where I was free all day to just goof around with music. That was my idea of what it meant to be rich and famous.

But I ended up eventually living my rock star dream, without all the inconvenience of fame and huge money. For 22 years I've gotten up every day, switched on my gear and thought, "I wonder what this stuff will do." As a result, I live exactly the life I imagined required fame and fortune.

I've extracted as much joy (maybe more!) from my work as any rock star ever has. That's the only point there is to any endeavor.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Deathray

Deathray Strat-Talker

Since this is going into “deep” territory, I might as well share my take on the topic.
    I started learning/playing in earnest 9 months ago. I had a guitar 25 years ago, that I never learned how to play correctly. I knew a few power chords that I tried to apply (loudly) to whatever sounded close, song wise. I have loved music since early childhood. But I “grew up” 18 years ago. I found other things to do in the evening, than drinking a 12 pack by myself, and “jamming”.
    Last fall, at my wife’s suggestion, I bought a guitar and amp. (She may regret that now$$$)

Where’s this tale leading? Learning to play, playing, creating music has given me a way to feel better about myself. I struggle with depression, and an unreasonable lack of self esteem. Music has the power to save you. So powerful.
    Learning something, playing something I’ve never played, or just losing myself for a few hours a day. It is magical. Do I want more than this? Yes.
    I don’t know what’s next, but I feel more empowered to bring that about in this part of my life, than any other.
    Thanks for reading this.

4. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

For me music /playing my guitars is about fun, therapy, social as I play in a band now and somewhat financially rewarding although I have bought 6 guitars since joining the band last July. I did sell a few that I didn't bond with. Bottom line like others, I tried to make it in the business. My fiance 42 years ago told me I had one more year to make it professionally, then I had to get a real job. I didn't make it. I got married coming up on 41 years ago. Got a day job and went to Northeastern University 7 years nights for my BSEE (Cum Laude)and parlayed that into a career of Business Development in the high tech world. Now I'm retired and back to where I was all those years ago. I play my guitars. I play in a band. I help friends record the songs they write. I would say I am one happy and lucky son of a gun.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

I still get joy from my work. I see something on TV and say "Hey...I did that". :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.