Join Strat-Talk Today

the proper music for your age

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

2. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Of course, if you play in your room of for friends and family, who cares, its all good.

But if you're playing in front of a crowd I think it boils down to being believable. Being able to get the crowd to buy your act, feeling what you're playing and relating it to what they're seeing... I doesn't get easier as you get older and as the years mark your face, your body, your voice. The young can be daring, wild, innovative, crazy, look good doing it, get away with it. Much harder to pull off "daring and wild" as you get older. There are more selective ways, but you have to be able to look in the mirror and listen to what you're playing, and realize whether you're being true to yourself, the music, the whole act. Class becomes as important as the music, and by class I don't mean clean or pretty, its hard to put a name or a finger on it, but you know it when you see it.

If you look and act like and old Neil Young and you're singing I Wanna Hold Your hand or Peggy Sue, chances are you might get eye rolls.
    If your old band members are sporting clean cuts, wearing matching suits, and playing Ace of Spades, people might walk out before the song is over. If you look like Leonard Cohen, you should probably not sing Santeria.
    But somehow a wrinkly, stinky, old, shirtless Iggy Pop can blare out Lust For Life and people will stop what they are doing and listen.

There is an art there that goes well beyond the music. And as you get older you can either be really good at it, or you can blow it without even knowing it. Most of us are somewhere in between and hoping for a couple of bucks in the tip jar, not so much for the money, but for the affirmation.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

this is kinda what I mean.....I feel very comfortable playing this style of music, even though I've never done it. but I'm from Oklahoma, and this music originated there, so I feel it's kinda in my blood. at any rate, I don't think I could ever do anything fake or untrue to my heart.

dogletnoir, jimyjazz and StratMike10 like this.
  4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

There are a lot more than a few silver helmeted demons running around here.
    And I still have all my hair.

StratMike10 and heltershelton like this.
  5. heltershelton

lol.....awhile ago today I was in a video call with my ex wife, and she was like, "ooooh nasty you've got long hair......you're not even going bald, even a little"?
    "nope", lol.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It may be as simple as your music saying things that you want to say. If the message matches the person, then maybe they can sell it...

7. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

I once heard that country is a punk rockers retirement plan. Must be true.

8. heltershelton

it might be.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The two forms are kind of similar.

10. Tone Deaf

They ONLY played originals

dogletnoir and heltershelton like this.
  11. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

A Dad band is a Dad band. Regardless of genre. I do see a number of players who dye their hair to look younger. I'm not one of those.

12. Tone Deaf

And, by the way,
    Which one is Pink?

13. Tone Deaf

As you age, one tends to prefer Beauty over the Beast.

heltershelton likes this.
  14. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  15. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

This is how i do it:

i just do my own thing, basically... and it will always be 'age appropriate', because it's mine.
    :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    heltershelton and Mansonienne like this.
  16. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-Talker

I went to a blues jam recently, and I was easily the youngest person there, at least who got up on stage. There was one guy who was quite a lot older than me. We jammed Further On Up The Road, and he was way better than me! I agree with other posters the age is more relevant in some genres than others - although having said that, there are some exceptions which have been mentioned on this thread. I guess age just affects some more than others, for example Deep Purple, as much as I like them, aren't anywhere near as good now as they were in the '70s - but Eric Clapton is, in many ways, better than he was back then! :)

17. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talker

- this is a very good post, I've only cropped the section I want to respond to.

When I saw this thread it got me thinking, I was in the mind process putting some words together then I saw Mike's post and that's it! :thumb:

I'm slim, sorta look young for my age, I think that allows me to.. well I guess have greater flexibility. I've seen guys similar age to me do punk stuff with full on energy, it seems to work for them. I guess it's because they too are slim, wizened but slim. Maybe the "knackerd" look is the punk thing, like Iggy P.

Perhaps things go awry when I see belly buttons making a break for freedom from the opening crack in a shirt.

Interestingly one band I am in at the mo, the singer is a large man, not overweight just a big guy. I've suggested we need to give special thought on what we wear and stand on stage so not to, make him look extra huge, or us extra tiny.

18. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Music defines a generation. ( no idea if the blip blow noise they listen to now will stand the test of time)

That being said look at your folks. Mine for example grew up on country and 50s rock n roll and that’s what they listen to today on their much older years.
    My uncles grew up on 70s rock and are still listening to that today.

Soooo, those of us who grew up on heavier music and still play/listen to that today are normal and not bending to society and listening to what they think we should listen too. Why the social dynamic now where we are supposed to mellow out?
    My funeral playlist is a mix of blues and 80s metal. Never give in never surrender. Rock on right to very end and beyond.

Cheers.:)

Mansonienne and Alan Crossley like this.
  19. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Dis am nort a pwoblem :D

20. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I’m sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I hope your playlist is not too long, we don’t want to be there all day.:rolleyes: :p

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.