Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Real Book 6th Edition in C

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by FFGreen, Jan 12, 2018.

1. FFGreen

FFGreen Strat-Talker

Sep 6, 2009
    Southern CA
    Brand new to jazz and look forward to applying any new skills. I'm learning some basic jazz chords at this point, cool but everywhere I look it seems an absolute must to purchase "The Real Book". Thoughts? I can't 'read' music, I'm a tablature guy. Perhaps reading the chords I see in the book, figure the chord and apply it to songs I am or can become familiar with it can work.

If anyone can help with learning some basic jazz ( a site, a book) it would be appreciated. Again, Should I purchase The Real Book?

2. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

"The Real Book" is /was a collection of lead-sheets that were originally "unofficially" made available, as a go-to book for musicians, that needed/wanted a chord-chart for the then "Jazz Standards" of popular music at the time.

If you choose to learn to read music ( highly recommended ), you need to spend a couple of weeks working through this book first. No teacher required, just a little effort...

"John Brimhall's Music theory Notebook, 3-in-1".

Once you've learned how to read music, you can then pick-a-tune from the Real Book, & go through it with a guitar-teacher who can help with chords, & guide you through the tune until you pick-them-up for yourself. A teacher can show you how the great many chord inversions available can be used to simplify how you approach the tune, & apply them for your own needs.

It's not that hard to do, but you need time & patience to apply yourself first, as it doeasn't happen after the first attempt !

Have fun,

Rastus

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Wow...
    Can't wait for the replies..
    Where the heck is @montemerrick ?

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Look at Howard Morgen's Truefire course:https://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/fingerboard-breakthrough/c210

And yes, learn Standards.

Chords shapes for major 7, minor 7, and m7b5.

Also chord progressions.
    Major, minor, and circle.

5. Frog Johnson

Frog Johnson Strat-Talker

Aug 19, 2013
    Australia
    The real book is great, but not cheap.
    if you’re starting out there are probably other sources I would go to first.
    The real book charts are basically a sketch of the chord and melody of popular tunes - a lot of which can be found online anyway.
    Start by learning the relationship between chords, modes and arpeggios and playing through chord progressions like II-V-I etc
    Learning lots of jazz chords too is s must

Dick Blackmore likes this.

6. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    The Jazz Guitar Workbook, by Martin Crum.

7. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Here's a tune to learn that has just about everything in it:

chrimturn likes this.

8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    We'll. You are going to have a hard time being a Jazz guy if you can't read so learn to read. I've been playing a Jazz bands since I was 14 (I'm 48 now) and I have never played with anyone who could not read or fake it really well. Except maybe drummers, but that's not a musical instrument anyway.

As far as the Real Book goes...its the primary tool for learning standards, I guess the internet has opened that up a bit but I still prefer a book on a stand. The Pat Metheny Real Book is a lot of fun.

I have several editions of the REAL Book legal and illegal. Most of my gigging career was in Jazz ensembles.

fezz parka likes this.

9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    That's a joke...right? ;)

Dick Blackmore likes this.

10. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Yeah I'm just kidding its ALMOST musical... hehe

fezz parka likes this.

11. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I can barely read music but I received 2 copies of the Real Book for Christmas. It’s work but it’s also rewarding. It’s like learning any other music it’s just made up of fancier chords with longer names. I stick to tunes I’m at least vaguely familiar with. That I can hum the melody to and see if I’m reading the staff correctly. But don’t do it once a week. Do a little every day...

fezz parka likes this.

12. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Learn standards
    ii-V-I
    I-vi-ii-V
    iii-VI-ii-V
    Circle progressions.

Major Circle chord progression: I-IV-vii*-iii-vi-ii-V-I.

In C: Cmaj7-Fmaj7-Bm7b5-Em7-Am7-Dm7-G7-Cmaj7.

The Minor Circle progression is this: i-iv-VII-III-VI-ii*-V-i.

In A (relative minor to C major): Am7-Dm7-G7-Cmaj7-Fmaj7-Bm7b5-E7-Am7 (Fly Me To The Moon, Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues, Suicide is Painless, and about a hundred other tunes)

Electgumbo likes this.

13. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    Meh.... The real book can become a crutch very quickly, and not in a good way at all. At least you have the 6th ed., the earlier ones were famous for all the errors.

Learning jazz: do LOTS of listening. Work on your ears. Start transcribing. Skip "A Love Supreme" for now, start with happy birthday and stuff like that.

Get a keyboard, harmonic relationships are much more obvious. Guitar is very quirky (I call it the red headed step child of jazz).

Work on singing. Sing melodies, sing root progressions, sing solos. If you can sing it from memory, it's "in your ears."

Important: music theory is NOT prescriptive. It can be predictive, but don't be a slave to the "rules." If a broken rule ("wrong note") sounds good, then it's right. Those rules are after the fact results of analyzing music, so they have validity and should be respected, but don't get boxed in.

Have fun and enjoy the journey. Jazz is very malleable and plays well with other genres, it's not just Lawrence Welk or Benny Goodman .

14. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    Oh yea, check out the Jazz Advice website. Very good. Also lots of good youtube resources, Rick Beato is very good, so is Amiee Nolte.

15. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    fezz parka likes this.