Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The reason guitar is so hard, is that it is so easy.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:10 PM.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

2. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    As a beginner, daily short practice sessions will make things easier than they seem to be. However, guitar, in general, isn’t easy as well as music. Learning a new language will take time. Moreover, having supportive persons around you will keep you motivated and on the track.

3. Dadocaster

To your immense credit, I do not think you are typical. You were fezzed early on, as fezz was Howarded. :D

I appreciate your insight but am kind of interested in what our garage band, bang it out in the teen bedroom players have to say. :D

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Ω Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I was a garage band, bang it out in your bedroom guy. ;)

I played in rock bands.
    I played in punk bands.
    I played in country bands.

Learning guitar is easy. Learn 3 chords, play a thousand songs. But you won't know music.
    Learning music (and how to be a well rounded musician) is hard. It requires study and commitment.

Ignorance isn't a virtue to be admired. It's a handicap to be overcome.

Yaralag, davidKOS, The-Kid and 22 others like this.

5. Dadocaster

Yes. Interested in hearing more from others before I yap some more.

Yaralag likes this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

7. Dadocaster

Yes, dammit. :D Don't need the thread now. argh.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I certainly didn't find it easy. I was rubbish at it for years. But I so wanted to be in a band that I kept going. I swapped to bass to increase the chances of that happening, which worked out. I went back to guitar because it's hard to write good songs on a bass!

After I stopped playing in bands, I get into a real rut as a guitarist, and was only dragged out of it with the help of @fezz parka and @davidKOS.

Otherwise I'd probably be playing mostly keys by now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM

9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Rubbish...
    How wonderfully British...
    Thank you Mr. @simoncroft

10. Keith268

Keith268 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2016
    Charlotte
    Every week I am putting the pieces to the puzzle together. I respect the difficulties of learning the guitar.

From my guitar instructor: “I have a heart, I have a mind, and I have fingers. I can get it.”

11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I'll agree some licks are alot easier than they sound. But that sure don't mean I can play

simoncroft and Omar like this.

12. nungesser

nungesser running with the moonshine dogs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    when I started messing around with the guitar I certainly thought that it had to be a lot more complicated than it was. This was due in part to the music i was listening to and my friends bands they were playing punk type stuff but it wasn't your three chord stuff they were playing pretty complicated riffs with lots of notes in them. It was a revelation to me that the guitar could be simple, it was listening to the likes of hearing John Lee Hooker with his guitar out of tune that showed me that it wasn't how many notes you are playing but they rhythm and the feeling that mattered (mattered to me)

13. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Keeping in mind
    Anything
    One can do to make
    Anything
    Easy for human kind
    inevitably
    Diminishes
    Human kind...
    Life should be
    hard...
    Difficult...
    Painful...
    Distasteful...
    Unwieldy...
    The human animal thrives on adversity
    SAYS...
    My Muse...
    Irwin.jpg

StratSounds, skypeace, LPBlue and 2 others like this.

14. Dadocaster

I was trying to avoid an essay...

Ok, as fezz touched on, you learn 3 chords, you can play a thousand songs. If you have decent natural meter, and maybe have been in an environment that stuffed you full of music and rhythm, you can play REALLY NICE MUSIC very quickly. If you sing, it's even better. So there you are, able to impress, amaze and entertain while having very little grasp of the instrument. Inevitably, though, you tire of campfire tunes and want to play other stuff. If it's rock and roll related, it sounds damned hard but when you get into it, it's easier than you thought. Then, you decide to play lead and OMG I HAVE LEARNED THE PENTATONIC SCALE AND I CAN WIGGLE MY FINGERS LIKE CRAZY AND WAIL!!!!

This is a god place to be in your playing. You don't have to know much or think hard but you can play your ass off. For sure it demands aptitude and skill and effort, but it's not conceptually that difficult if you don't want it to be.

Then, if you decide to go further, you are stuck. You have some technique and stuff but you have little idea what you are doing. Even trying to just comp standards is very difficult and reading a melody line on a staff is like translating from a foreign language. Some of he rock you touched on has suspended chords and moving bass lines and when you really dig in and want to play a great solo, you suddenly realize that your pentatonic does not work in every instance. :D

...so, the reason that it's so hard, is that it's so easy. And that we learned it wrong. :D

simoncroft and Elvie like this.

15. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    One of the easiest to play, one of the hardest to master.

16. Dadocaster

Yeps.

I was in band as a kid and did musical instruments sales as a youngling and the thing about guitar is that it's not a violin, clarinet, trumpet, or god help us, a bassoon. Beginners on those instruments can drive you out of the house and down to the local bar. Guitar is more willing to give a beginner something pleasant.

skypeace and chrimturn like this.

17. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    It's not hard.

If you can count to seven, it's easy.

7 notes in a major scale.
    7 notes in a minor scale.
    Those two scales can make a chord progression (major or minor) using the 7 modes.

Seven is more than five. Pents can only take you so far. Two more notes unlocks everything else.

SEVEN.

gwjensen, Bowmap, ocean and 5 others like this.

18. Dadocaster

19. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    What is hard.....is unlearning what you have learned .

Making room for new data.
    Adding new moves to your muscle memory.
    Making the connections between your data and muscle memory so that execution isn't even thought about...so that it just happens.

The hardest thing is accepting that there is always more to learn, and putting aside your ego so that you can learn. :)

20. Dadocaster

Yes. Being willing to sacrifice one's self image as a bad ass guitarist on the altar of being a better guitarist.

I get glimpses while thinka-noodling of a Unified Theory of Guitar Playing but I can't flesh it out.

simoncroft, Lovnmesomestrat and Omar like this.