Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

the Seattle Viaduct is a comin' down

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Jan 3, 2019.

1. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Prepare for Carmageddon or whatever they want to call it. See the elevated road below? It's being demo'd in a couple weeks. A tunnel will 'replace' it:

5ba120b84b091.image.jpg <rush hour evening

The billions of cars that us it each day, including me, will be re-routed onto surface streets until the demo is done and the tunnel opens. They will open up the waterfront, which is good I guess. No downtown exits on the new tunnel though, plus new tolls.

Here's an amusing fantasy of the replacement:

AlaskanWayViaductReplacementTunnel_original.png

Look at them open roads! lol The American Dream. This angle shows the entry to the tunnel.

Actually the Viaduct is way overdue for coming down due to age. The last quake almost brought it down. You don't want to be on a collapsing freeway, I'm guessing.

s5tuart, Jesse414, Yves and 4 others like this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Looks like a mess right now . I'm guessing the tunnel still needs to be built?

Yves and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. circles

The tunnel is built, now is the transition period.

They used the biggest boring machine in the world, and it got stopped at one point by a single pipe they did not expect, cost millions to dig up the drill, fix it, and put it back in.

abnormaltoy, rolandson and Groovey like this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

this has been such a long project! last i knew the stuck drill hadn't been dug up yet... that was another life...

abnormaltoy, rolandson and circles like this.
  5. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Seattle is already a nightmare, good luck my friend.

6. montemerrick

i've had a lot of fun under the viaduct... (OK Hotel, for instance, was an awesome venue...)

7. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Thank goodness the tunnel is complete. I was expecting the worst. Sounds like your already through the worst.

circles likes this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

It wasn't until the last six months of living in Seattle that I drove into town from the south along the Viaduct....normally I would just hang on the 5 until I hit the U-district and bail there.

And then one day, for some reason, I had or invented occasion to approach Seattle from the south that way...

And I was treated to a visual spectacular of a city I had grown to love. It was like I was sitting in a movie theater being treated to a view that didn't exist in the real world.

The viaduct approaches Seattle along its waterfront, passing between Puget Sound and the city...

The view is magnificent. I am sorry that it'll be lost, but I get it.

One strong shake of the subduction zone and everyone on it dies.

I'll get my future son-in-law to fly me in a helicopter if I want that view again I suppose.

eta: poor grammar

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Mansonienne and T Bone Slort like this.
  9. circles

Actually the tunnel digging had no big impact, it's when all the vehicles that use the viaduct get dumped onto surface streets. Also the tunnel is primarily aimed at getting people through Seattle, not so much as way to get around in it like it is now. Long story short - exploding population, no way to expand streets.

Yea, the view is amazing. Some will stay, such as the approach to the tunnel.

We gotta invest in mass transit. We here in Seattle had the chance to expand the monorail, but blew it. The monorail is actually quite cool.

10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
  11. montemerrick

that pissed me off big time... like when the eastside voted down light rail in the roughly '96 era... i mean monorail - how could that lose?

12. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

Tiff and I can stick to the east side of I-5 for most of what we need to do, and only hit Aurora (99) north of Lake Union. Still, I expect it to be a nightmare for a bit.

People here are saying things like "I sure wouldn't want to be in the tunnel when the big one hits." Like being on the viaduct would be any better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rolandson, abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Seattle is kinda stuck. It has no place to put lightrail. It's stuck between the sound and the lake...so lightrail will kill streets.

but that big ass boring machine...

no reason that sucker can start boring subway tunnels!!!

Mansonienne, abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  14. The Strat Dude

Do not fear the change is coming
    Not via-ble duct?

abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Can't tell you how many times I drove that road, stealing glimpses of the scenery and trying not to hit the sides.

Under the viaduct was one of the grungiest places to be, too. Fond memories of the OK Hotel.

16. circles

Vy not?

250px-You_Bet_Your_Life_(title_card_-_1955-60).jpg

Here is (was) the drill head.

maxresdefault.jpg

More buses, more light rail, more bike lanes.

17. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    trapdoor2, rolandson and circles like this.
  18. montemerrick

it was literally the early 90s when they began realizing the seismic unfitness of the viaduct. the fact that its been 25 years to correct it must prove something about something.

19. The Strat Dude

circles likes this.
  20. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I often thought about those crushed cars when Oakland/SF got hit by earthquake during the World Series when I was on the bottom side of that aqueduct.