Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

the Seattle Viaduct is a comin' down

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Jan 3, 2019.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I had to traverse Seattle a couple years ago while on a RT to the islands. What a freaking nightmare that town is.

circles and Paperback Rocker like this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Man, that's a cool place! I'd like to come see it next time I'm in town. Hey, I grew up a Methodist, too. God bless.

Willie D, rolandson and circles like this.
  3. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Inside the tunnel

Interior.jpg

Alaskan_Way_Viaduct_tunnel_visualization.jpg

SR99tunnel-e1466721334193-1240x1126.jpg

Found a better view of the viaduct.

37d088de-ac51-11e6-8658-f19bfd35e388-780x565.jpg

It's no Chunnel, but some pretty cool engineering I suppose. I'll have to look up some vintage images.

johnnymg and rolandson like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

There is one thing I often commented to spouse about Seattle, that pains me to realize wasn't too far off the mark...

Seattle, a city with more money than brains.

Still, it's an order of magnitude beyond Portland. Portland is just stupid.

Laurelhurst.

My living room windows looked west out over Union Bay toward Queen Anne. I could see just the tops of the taller buildings over Capitol Hill, and of course the Needle. Every time I see that image of the Queen Anne towers, I choke a little.

Don't miss the football games in the UW stadium though.

5. circles

Portland does have those terrifying giant clowns, and the flamethrowing bagpipe playing Darth Vader on a unicycle...

rolandson and The Strat Dude like this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

we also have the naked bike ride. now before y'all start thinkin...

"No s***! I gots to go see that next summer!!!"

Remember this: Once seen, somethings cannot be unseen, no matter how much one may wish it.

Now that you've been warned, go ahead and google the Portland Naked Bike Ride.

7. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I retired and left the greater Seattle area in 2015. Traffic and housing costs just sucked; big time. I miss the Cascades but not Puget Sound. Salt water should be warm, fresh water should be cold. So Florida has it right for salt water and Washington State has it correct for cold water.

My last job required me to commute from Monroe, Washington to Kirkland. If I got lucky it was only 50 minutes, on a bad morning or evening 1.5 hours. That is no way to live.

I hope the viaduct matter get's resolved quickly for Seattle's sake.

NC

circles likes this.
  8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't they wait until the new tunnel is open before taking the viaduct down?

As for the earthquake problem, I understand that being on or under a viaduct is not cool during an earthquake, but is it really much better to be in a tunnel?

circles and Paperback Rocker like this.
  9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    From my experience in London, the only way to relieve pressure on the roads is to give people a viable public transport alternative. And that means rail of some kind. London's Underground was never cheap but it's repaid the initial investment several times over. London can't function without the tube, almost everybody understands this.

circles and rolandson like this.
  10. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    On top of not unseeing, you ALWAYS need to replace the bike seat when buying a used bike in Seattle.

20150620_135102-1.jpg

circles and rolandson like this.
  11. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Due to my low income as a young chemist (barely above minimum wage), I lived in Everett when I first moved to Seattle.

26 mile commute one way took up to 2.5 hours on a Friday after work. Had to carry a Gatorade bottle just in case. And that was in the 90s. My ex wife would not speak to me when I got home, just hand me a beer and let me decompress for a while. Regular days of the week it was about 1.5 hours. Most frustrating thing was you'd sit in an endless jam going slower than a walk. Then it would break free up to 60 mph, then a short bit later everyone would be slamming on their breaks, literally, trying to avoid a mass pileup at the next jam stopped on the highway. It was stressful as hell.

And there was no vehicle inspection, except for emissions of course, so people were driving around with bad lights and bald tires.

circles likes this.
  12. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    Back in the late 70's early 80's, I delivered the Seattle Times. I would zig zag accross 45th street to deliver papers. These days it would be suicide (if they still had paperboys).

Man, when the Guild 45 closed, it was a sad day indeed. End of an era. My old neighbor (Longshoreman) met his wife there in the 50's. She was selling tickets.

Paperback Rocker and circles like this.
  13. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Glad I'm here... it's my lucky Friday. On a train and!..it's moving...wait!..is it ?.. is it me?..is it...

circles likes this.
  14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I have a 6 mile commute from Mukilteo to the giant Everett airplane factory. I had my fill of commuting when I lived in the Toronto area. Bunch of psycho's drive there.

15. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Went to Mukilteo on my pilgrimage last summer. A favorite place of mine. When I met my ex-wife, she was the coffee roaster for Mukilteo Coffee Co.

circles likes this.
  16. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    It doesn't help that Washington is home to some of the worst drivers I've experienced. 4-ways are a free-for-all and there is zero regard to fast & slow lanes. I-5 also bottlenecks and expands in lane numbers at random.

17. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    I5 bottlenecks like an hourglass at the core of downtown. 2 lanes Northbound at the epicenter of the city. Even though Seattle is shaped like an hourglass, that piece of engineering/planning always dumbfounded me.

circles likes this.
  18. circles

I want to step in here and say Seattle has not traditionally had bad drivers. That has ramped-up 'in recent years'.

End of line.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  19. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    When you consider that a place like Houston or Dallas has highways going outward like spokes of a wagon wheel, and Seattle has 25% bound by water on the west. You have some rather small highways going North and South, and distractions like driving over a floating bridge going East. It's a logistical nightmare getting anywhere.

And that's why I found myself staying home at the end of the time I lived there. It wasn't worth the traffic and the price of parking to go anywhere. Especially when you're so broke from your rent or mortgage payment.

circles likes this.
  20. circles

All cities start small and grow, some have heavy restraints. Most coastal cities are being hit with increased population, Seattle is not alone, although the pace here is insane. Last year, Seattle had more construction cranes in use than any other American city. (I think Chicago now has more.) We shoulda' expanded the monorail when we could!

Despite its loss of character, I still like it here, and am in love with the climate. Also I'm into high tech, so this is an epicenter.

Paperback Rocker likes this.