Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The StratoParts guitar from Hell!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AxemanVR, Nov 8, 2017.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    A coworker got a "free" guitar for her son through a program to help young people stay on the right path...

At first glance it appeared to be a MIM Standard Fender Strat, but then the Frankenstein horror show revealed itself!

See if you can count the number of things wrong with this so-called "guitar"...

A typical HH Strat?:

IMG_4418.JPG

Ummm... No!:

IMG_4420.JPG

The weird neck angle:

IMG_4422.JPG

Wrong everything else? Well, besides missing all but three pickguard screws, nothing fits quite right and/or are discombobulated:

IMG_4424.JPG

WTF?!? Each knob is going in a different direction and the pickguard wouldn't sit flush against the body due to some obstruction (to be revealed momentarily):

IMG_4426.JPG

Hardware store screws for sure:

IMG_4429.JPG

I guess you have to take the back cover off to restring it:

IMG_4428.JPG

Definitely not a Fender body:

IMG_4435.JPG

Notice the extra screw holes in the neck heel. And, yes that's a broken hardware store screw sticking out:

IMG_4430.JPG

Oh mother of mercy NO!!!:

IMG_4433.JPG

...So now I'm going to see if I have enough left over Tele parts to make a decent guitar - ie; trash everything but the neck and, maybe, pickups.

Pray for me please...

'

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    s5tuart, ryapou, BryonScott and 5 others like this.

2. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    You are very kind to your coworkers.
    Good man!

Mansonienne and AxemanVR like this.

3. electroplasmolog

electroplasmolog Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2017
    GB
    Isn't that one of those rare strelecasters?

4. kidmo

kidmo Strat-Talk Member

May 25, 2008
    Acadiana
    When is free not good enough? I'll pray for you, that you learn to appreciate when life gives to the needy. You said nothing about involving the lad so that he may learn something. sheesh

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    Harsh...

After all, I AM rebuilding practically an entire guitar for the kid at no cost - one that will actually benefit him. I'm just poking fun at the situation, that's all... sheesh...

Anyway, you're right, at least the neck is worth saving, otherwise I'd probably just buy him a whole new guitar and call it good...

'

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

6. brians

brians Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Was it free????? If so how can you knock something that was given in good intention??

Chrissomebody and Ecosse like this.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    Apparently you have to "pay" for a sense of humor around here...

Look, this so-called "free" guitar would not be so "free" if this poor mother had to pay someone "real" money to make this total and complete p.o.s. playable.

Since I'm obviously volunteering my time (and will pay for whatever I don't already have on hand myself) to make this thing work for the kid, I think I've earned the right to find some humor in the situation...

'

8. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I'm with you, I get it's free but if it is broken, how does that help?

I mean he's trying to learn music, stay out of trouble, has limited income (a child) and also needs to learn how to fix something and find the money to fix it.

To me there wasn't a lot of thought by whoever donated it, other than get this pos out of my house.

This guitar is like donating spoiled food to the food bank. Sure you can eat it but, it may do more harm than good.

If I'd have had that guitar, I would have sold the parts and donated the money to a music program. We all know (if AxemanVR) weren't fixing it, there's no way they could afford the cost. It would cost more to fix it, than to go buy 2 or 3 new Affinity models.

The reason I rant is I've dealt with this. Most of these programs are supposedly not for profit, yet have upper management making money hand over fist. Then supply a limited and poor service (not always, there are good people out there) and blame it on lack of funding/donations, while leaving work in their Land Rover.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Thank You!

'

john lavelle likes this.

10. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Nice gesture @AxemanVR. Glad you're doing this for the kid.

Keep up the good work!

11. brians

brians Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    You know what, it seems like all are trying to something good, if it makes a poor kid smile , enough said, kudos to you for sorting it , it's a really good start, to have something you can make better, better than nothing at all, hope the inspiration gets a kid to be motivated, and if you help , it's a life lesson for us all

12. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    I think you deserve a big THANK YOU for your generosity :thumb:

bloomz, apm1991, artgtr and 1 other person like this.

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Well, after going through this guitar I was left with very little to work with...

The Bridge pickup turned out to be a Seymour Duncan JB model:

IMG_4445.JPG

I was initially VERY excited about it - until I went to take it out...

For whatever reason some previous owner soldered what looks like 16 gauge speaker wires onto the leads:

IMG_4442.JPG

Unfortunately, once I removed the speaker wire there was very little left to work with:

IMG_4440.JPG

I assume the typical 5-wires are somewhere in there, but really don't have the time right now to dig them out, so this pickup is junk as far as I'm concerned...

The so-called "neck" pickup is actually a BRIDGE pickup! A "Duncan Designed HB102B"...

My research seems to indicate that the HB102B is basically a JB import copy, so that's pretty interesting:

IMG_4443.JPG

I was able to sort out and separate these wires:

IMG_4447.JPG

The leads are still kind of short, but I should be able to extend them enough to be usable.

I also successfully tested this pickup and it does actually work, so we'll see...

Here's all the stuff I've managed to round up so far:

IMG_4451.JPG

Some of the parts were cannibalize from my coworker's guitar while the rest I found in various piles of miscellaneous crap I've held onto over the years:

IMG_4452.JPG

The neck, strap buttons, neck plate and saddles all come from the kid's guitar.

The body I have is from a "Peavey Reactor". What you see here is the way I found it and since the kid is a rocker I thought he might get a kick out of it... BUT!...

IMG_4453.JPG IMG_4454.JPG

... it's starting to look like it may not work out since none of the Fender parts seems to fit very well, so it may be back to the drawing board for me...

'

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

14. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Discombobulate

Also, the JB is salvageable! You do own a good pair of wire strippers, I assume?

I'd honestly keep the guitar as 'stock' as possible - it's so fubar it's got mojo again:D
    And it was free, so what's there to lose?

15. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    No... it was definitely "discombobulated"...

Also... read my last post; Salvageable? Perhaps... but I'll leave that up to someone with a lot more time on their hands than me...

'

16. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck to you! Nice of you to do that for your coworker :thumb:

If you want to get rid of that JB humbucker, I've got some time on my hands, lol.

AxemanVR likes this.

17. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Get the kid to help you do it.
    He can learn something and you can both stay out of trouble together.
    It will be worth more to him if he has a hand in it.

2-Finger and Chont like this.

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    It's complicated...

First, I've never met the kid.

Secondly, he's currently staying with the estranged father (shared custody).

And, most importantly, I don't think my wife would appreciate me hanging out with a female coworker.

So, I'll just remain anonymous for now...

'

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    apm1991 and Believer7713 like this.

19. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'm with having the kid help you. Nothing better than the appreciation of something you've built yourself.

and i think the "Thank You" on the back of that body is a nice touch.

apm1991 and AxemanVR like this.

20. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    The worst part about it is, now that you've taken it apart, you've let the mojo out.

Once you reassemble, it will sound like a sterile chinacaster.

/s