Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The StratoParts guitar from Hell!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AxemanVR, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    I’m with you, you’re the one guy here doing the right thing. Whoever donated that guitar either didn’t know enough to realise it was a POS or knew exactly what it was and should have dumped it rather than build up some poor kid’s hopes. Whatever, as I say, you my friend are an honourable guy doing the right thing. Of course you can laugh at it, because, by the time the lad gets it back, it’ll be fine. God bless you Sir

dogwatermike and AxemanVR like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You're doing a nice thing. :thumb:

Maybe you should see if the kid wants to participate in the restoration?

Mansonienne and TangerineDog like this.

3. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    now i have this song in my head

AxemanVR likes this.

4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    So true!
    That's a great idea.
    I saw the pics and shuddered.
    But I had a similar situation last year - a buddy of mine wanted to 'upgrade' the pups in his low-end Ibanez.
    He got a new set and new pots and was like 'Wth, lets use this for the new wiring!' and cut the cable off the stock neck HB.
    There was about as much left as on that JB.

Thing is, he didn't like the new sound and after some time, he wanted the old HB back.
    I told him that I might be able to help him.

First off, with what was hidden behind the bottom plate, I had about 1cm of each cable overall.
    Breaking even one would've meant the end - that's why I was glad he had wire strippers that had exactly the right gauge hole.

I hate that spaghetti-pvc-cover cables, so I lengthened the leads using my good ol' cloth cover stock. I didn't twist the ends together, but soldered them together in parallel (not electrically speaking) and taped them over.
    To reduce the strain on the joints, I also taped the cables to the bottom plate with gaffer tape.

60 minutes yielded 1 restored cheapo pickup with great sound and I felt like MacGyver.

For you, that's 60 minutes traded for feeling like MacGyver and a free JB...

ZlurkCorzDog and AxemanVR like this.

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I'm afraid the mojo had been sucked out of this thing a long time ago... I'm just here to get it back...

'

vid1900 likes this.

6. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

That sir is a Crap-o-caster it is rare in the wild as they usually implode after construction from the excessive vacuum of them sucking so very much. Kind of like the black hole of the Fender world.
    R

AxemanVR likes this.

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Well done to you @AxemanVR for putting the effort in for your fellow co worker. I hope it all comes together.

AxemanVR likes this.

8. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Strat-Talker

Oct 2, 2014
    albuquerque
    Hey Axeman,

I gotta say, That's a beautiful thing you're doing .... after all the crap I read about in the news, you really made my day... thanks for making the world a better place!

Cowabunga!

9. Pulsar

Pulsar Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2016
    Savannah
    I might be alone here but I think Tele necks on strat bodies are so hot. I don't know why.

10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Give us a list of stuff you need :0)

jpmist, AxemanVR and Hippieway like this.

11. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2009
    Virginia
    It doesn't always pay to do a kindness, but it always makes you richer.

ZlurkCorzDog and Bob the builder like this.

12. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    I did a YouTube video where I swap my MIM Tele Neck onto my MIM Strat Body which did not line up. Sometimes they line up but mine didn't.

Visually I don't like Tele neck headstocks on a Strat but I do like Strat headstocks on a Tele.

I know first hand how a crappy guitar can discourage a child from learning guitar. I bought a cheap guitar for my son figuring I didn't want to invest a lot of money if he was going to give it up. Well he gave it up because the guitar was basically unplayable. It's now wall art in his room.

Glad to see there are programs like this but if it's difficult to play it's useless. Glad you're working on this.

AxemanVR likes this.

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Well, I have some good news and some bad news...

The good news is I found a nice pickguard for the project:

IMG_4463.JPG

The bad news is that it doesn't fit the Peavey Reactor body... not by a long shot:

IMG_4467.JPG

In fact, none of the Fender parts seem to fit this body very well...

The only other thing I have is this no-name Tele style body:

IMG_4460.JPG

I've been using it as my "test mule" (I sprayed the butterscotch finish on it myself) but it was never really all that great to begin with and I definitely don't think it's "cool enough" for the kid either, so I looked into buying another body and found this Squier on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

It's a little beat up but still has that "rock machine" image (the kid is into Metallica) ...nothing that a couple gothic stickers can't fix me thinks...

Besides, I should have a much easier time making things fit on this one (since it's a "Fender-ish" product)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone supporting this project - it means a lot to me (more than you might know). Thanks for the offer @fattboyzz and I would also like to thank one anonymous donor in particular who has already donated to the cause, it's making this project feel even more rewarding knowing how everyone cares!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, since this is obviously going to take longer than I had anticipated I decided to loan the kid one of the extra guitars I had laying around:

IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG

Ok, so it's hot pink, but his mother assures me he won't care - as long as he has something to play (a very good sign indeed)!

It's actually my step-daughter's guitar but she never plays it. The pickups suck, otherwise this "New York Pro" is a surprisingly good player.

I also discovered that my humbucker style Tele bridge (which is wider than a normal Tele bridge) fits the pickguard (thank goodness)!:

IMG_4464.JPG

So now I'm just waiting for the new body to arrive...

'

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    fattboyzz, StratSounds and Chont like this.

14. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Wow, the person that did that to a JB should not be let anywhere near a guitar. SD can fix it- you can send it in and we can put the proper 4 conductor wiring on it. Those tiny wires are not easy to solder.

15. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    You do that?
    I'm about an ocean away, so I'll still need to help myself or others when something like that 'happens', but how much would that cost?

16. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

This is done by the Custom Shop...the prices, I think, are in US dollars, and I am not sure if the prices apply to overseas orders. You can read about our repair service here, and ask for a quote.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

17. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    That sounds like a great way to save the JB pickup... thanks!

In the meantime I worked on the HB102B and got the lead wires extended to a usable length:

IMG_4470.JPG

So I can at least get that one going for the time being.

I soldered the red and white wires together (which ties the two coils together) as well as the black and bare wires (ground) and extended those two along with the green wire (hot) so it should be ready to go...

'

Seymour Duncan and Chont like this.

18. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Aug 20, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Strat copy.JPG
    Here is a free guitar I was given yesterday - after 4 hours I had it playable.
    The original pickups were all open and the wiring was nearly as bad as yours.
    I put in a MIM loaded pickguard I had for spare, I also replaced some of the hardware. Set it up for lefty and now I have a beater. It says Cimac on the headstock and has a sticker from a Belgium music store on the back.

I say keep the body original body it is swimming pool routed and you can get some very good Chinese humbuckers cheap. if the pots and switch are in good shape, you can get a wiring digram and install the new pickups. You can always fill the holes in the neck (pull the broken screw) and remount it on the body. It's always fun to turn nothing into something. This one was my second one....the first was a beat to #### Squier Standard.

19. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

Apr 30, 2013
    NYC
    If someone offers me a bullet in the head as a free service, believe me, I would not want it.

You either do a GOOD deed or don't.

Fendereedo likes this.

20. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Oh... it is a great thing you are doing. Paying it forward is tremendous.
    Let us know if there are any parts you need.
    R

AxemanVR likes this.