So, it turns out that the Stupid Idea has, without a doubt, been the most fun I've ever had with a hobby project in my entire life. I usually end up with some unused vacation time to burn at the end of the year, and I like to do some sort of project. Last year, I recovered a Mustang IIIv2 in Blonde/Oxblood: http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/nad-today-on-pimp-my-mustang-sorry-long-op.420763/#post-2604670 This year, I decided to take up trying to build an amp. The Stupid Idea came about because I decided that one of those Marshall Solid State mini-stacks was exactly the form factor I wanted, I found a good deal on one, and decided to gut it and build something in it: http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/how-stupid-is-this-idea.450423/ One of my first decision points was whether to do a kit, or start from scratch. I decided to go the scratch route, and found a modified antique sports PA system that originally ran on 12ax7s and el84s. Over the course of the last thread, and some personal emails, I let @Robins talk me into building a Friedman Pink Taco clone. Robin was HUGELY generous with his time over these last couple months, and I cannot thank him enough. I'm sure that those of you who have interacted with him appreciate what a resource he is, but I hope that the Forum Admin/ @Strat-Talk know what an asset having a member like that is to their board. Over the course of October and November, I probably put a good dent in his bandwidth allowance, sending sketches, images, and such back and forth with him, sorting out the build plan, and he never once acted anything less than eager to be helping me out. Solid guy, of the first-order. So, it turns out that building one from just a schematic takes A LOT of planning - at least if it's your first. After considering Robin's advice, and doing some research on the Pink Taco, I decided it was the right amp to build, but the Taco is SS rectified, my salvaged PT had a tube rectifier heater secondary, and my OCD wouldn't let me wrap up those two wires and pretend they weren't there, so I decided to make it as a switchable rectifier. My first step was to make take the Pink Taco schematic and a photo of the guts and make up a layout document, like comes with most kits, to see if I could figure it out. After that, I had to figure out how to make the rectifier switching work, and modify the schematic to suit. Then I had to make another layout document, this time to fit the chassis space I had, and the added parts. This is what I'm building from: I call it the Fish Taco. All told, I probably have 50 hours into this thing so far. Being at a total novice level with electronics, figuring out the schematics, reading enough to make some sense of them, drafting a build document, then modifying the schematic, making another build doc, then making chassis schematics took more time than I expected. Heck, just designing and making the chassis probably took 5 hours. But, it's been a great learning experience, and, as I said, I've been enjoying the heck out of it. The only downside, is that it's 50 hours that I could/should have spent practicing guitar (God knows I need it). I'm almost finished with the build. I had intended to start a thread, and update as I went, but, once I had everything drafted and collected, the build has been going really quickly, and I've had a hard time tearing myself away from it. I'll post some of the progress photos below.