Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

The white van speaker scam. Ever been there?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Nov 8, 2018.

1. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    I absolutely love messing with those clowns running that scam. A couple of years ago a white van actually blocked my car as I was backing out of a parking spot at a mall and started a hard sell on me but they were not prepared for my reaction. I asked to see some company ID and a vendors permit followed by "Get the f**k out of my way...NOW!". They were shocked and took off but I followed them to three more malls where I proceeded to wreck their scam every time they started their pitch, all of which was on dash cam with audio. They even parked outside of a legit stereo shop and tried it on there. The staff called police and I shared my footage of the guys, their van and the scam with them. Never saw them in the area again! As a parting thought, I even suggested that they try to find real jobs or they would keep running into people like me.

Some of you know of my devotion to REAL high end audio gear so I consider my actions to be a "public service". Your experiences?:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

for a little while in Phoenix (1983) i worked for a company called Wholesale Merchandising Incorporated (WMI) (ugh, the affirmations we were supposed to say - "I can and I will, I believe in myself and I believe in WMI!) i loaded up my car with tools for sale (paid for with the title of my car which they held until i could cover the cost of the tools... andf then i went out Circle K's and other such places and asked people "want a deal on some tools, and flipped up the hatchback (i was driving a 77 mustang "mach 1" ha, in 77 but a shadow of the real mach 1)

2 ton come-alongs, socket sets, tire chains! i had it all! i also had a vendor's permit, although it dodn't make the job any less dubious ...all those offshore rigs have permits too.

i lasted about two weeks..

3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

i have no idea what either of you guys are talking about...?!?

but that might have something to do with looking like a cop. people just seem to think I'm police. I'm not...

but I played one on tv...

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Don't they sell you these 'high end' speakers with no actual speakers under the grillcloth?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    I have had the white van experience here in oz, I knew they were s**t speakers so I played along, the van was full of large speakers that they said all of the clubs were using these blah blah, they were shocked when I said I wasn't interested. That was a long time ago though. Maybe the same dudes?

LPBlue and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Never heard of it...
    Just living a small life...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I remember that going on back when I worked at a gas station. Periodically someone would stop by and try to sell us something, I remember brief cases and books mostly.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2012
    Northern California
    Whew! The nerve of some people. I'm glad that I got my Boze speakers from a guy who's boss really did order too many of them that he couldn't return. I'd hate to have fallen for a scam.

LPBlue, henderman, space and 4 others like this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Strat-Talk Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    So what is the scam?

I’m seeing the dubious sells techniques... selling out of a vehicle in a parking lot and blocking you in... but I don’t see the scam part yet. Was it stolen merchandise?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2012
    Northern California
    They are bogus garbage passed off as high end audio equipment.

I used to work in consumer electronic repairs. I can't tell you how often people brought these speakers in for repair because the blew within minutes/hours of hooking them up to their stereo. The drivers inside were just garbage. Imagine an 8 or 10 in driver with just a tiny 1.5/2 inch voice coil. They were almost always without any type of manufacturers marks. Just pure garbage inside.

abnormaltoy and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Cardboard box with a brick in it type scam?

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Never heard of it … that won't fly in Tennessee .

abnormaltoy and TheGoodTexan like this.
  13. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That's b/c you guys are armed.

14. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Someone tried that on me like 30 years ago, must be a 'time tested' scam. I told them to get out of my way, they left. I think it was in Florida, no surprise there.

LPBlue and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

Jan 7, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I don’t consider that a scam.

A scam is the guys who drove around my neighborhood in a work-van after a hail storm and took $100 deposits from people to get started on roof repair the following day - and then never showed up, and the business cards they handed out were fake.

A scam is when someone called my grandmother acting like they were me, and saying that he (me) was in jail and needed her to transfer money so he (me) could make bail.

Offering a poor product to someone, even at an inflated price, doesn’t qualify as a scam to me. If the customer has the opportunity to physically inspect the speakers and they’re just not educated enough to know what good quality is, they simply should make the purchase.

I’ve always considered a scam to be something that is actually illegal. Not just a salesperson who over hypes his product.

Thrup'ny Bit and tery like this.
  16. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

If they actively misrepresent the product, that is fraud, or in some people eyes, a scam. That of course depends on the specifics of what is said and what the product really is. I think arguing about the semantics kinda misses the point though.

17. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 11, 2014
    At Home
    Actually as has been suggested, many times these scammers will have a great tv or stereo in the van as an example and when you get the "still new in the box" set home, it's a box with bricks in it so it is weighted the same as their "display" models - Once they sell a few boxes they leave and go to another lot and start the scam there.

LMSS

18. TheGoodTexan

Jan 7, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Of course that is a scam. But the OP said nothing about bricks in a box. And someone else suggested that they were just poor/unbranded speakers.

If someone is selling you A, and you actually receive not A... then that is a scam, and against the law.

If someone is selling you "high quality" A, and you actually receive "low quality" A... that's not a scam. You can't go to the police and say, "They told me these were good sounding speakers, but they sound horrible!" Well, you could go to the police and say that, but they'd tell you that it wasn't scam.

LPBlue and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  19. TheGoodTexan

Jan 7, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    But the bigger point is taken: Don't buy anything from dudes in a parking lot.

Uncle Bob and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  20. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i had a friend who was selling some aloe plants on craigslist before she moved... she met a prospective buyer in a costco parking lot. costco security called the police...

tery likes this.