Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Theory VS Feeling

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MayerFan, Sep 8, 2011.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

davidKOS and dogletnoir like this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I never understood the argument that theory somehow makes you less musical. Knowing something about Relativity doesn’t force my understanding of gravity as much as it allows me to explain what is happening and why. Music theory is no different. What sounds pleasing? What do we like? Theory does nothing more than provide a framework to understand and describe it.

3. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have plenty of feeling. What I need are more skills...
    BB knew exactly what he was doing and understood theory a lot more than he gets credit for, IMO.

4. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh

BB has forgotten more theory than most of us have ever known. What he doesn't know is the academic words for discussing it. (And actually, he knows a lot more of THAT than he gets credit for.)

5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Theory AND feeling... not vs.
    Just like 'advanced technique' and feeling...
    despite all too common perception, these things should not be seen
    as mutually exclusive imo.

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    One can't exist without the other in a musical context. Wether you can put words on the theory to explain it is another matter but lacking the ability to do so doesn't mean you don't understand it at some level.

fezz parka likes this.

7. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    I know this is a zombie thread, but...

Saying one can't play with feeling (and good luck defining what that is) if one knows theory is like saying Kurt Vonnegut can't write a compelling story because he learned grammatical rules.

stevierayfan91, dogletnoir and mshivy like this.

8. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    Wow!!!

A blast from the past . . . . Malikon, Celeste, GuitarAJ, Pauln . . . . long time, no see :(

The Twyla Tharp quote nailed it . . . .

Cheers.

davidKOS likes this.

9. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thank you. This question comes up on every forum.

Well Jimi doesn't know theory - well you aren't Jimi so go learn some theory
    I have a friend that said theory ruins your creativity - your friend is a dope
    All these rules ... - Theory isn't rules, Theory is an explanation of the music
    Well I know the killer player that doesn't know any theory - yes, it happens. I've heard that some cows are born with two heads too.

Ignorance is never a benefit. For every happy accident that creates great music I hear 1000 stupid accidents that make it sound worse. I've seen exponentially more ignorant musicians that suck than ignorant musicians that are stellar. Even the stellar musicians who don't know theory are nine out of ten times one trick ponies.

If you want to play Mustang Sally with your friends at the corner bar for fun, no theory is needed. If you want to be a serious musician, go get an education.

T Guitar Floyd and dogletnoir like this.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wait..........Vonnegut writes in baby talk... :D

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    What's wrong with Mustang Sally?

duzie likes this.

12. fezz parka

It's great... even better when you stand it on its head. :D

davidKOS, gwjensen and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

13. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Even if you do not know theory or what the notes, chords or anything else is and can only play by ear or even just hunt and peck "feeling" stlye...

Whatever you play that works and sounds good can be explained and will match up correctly with formal theory explainations in a classroom setting.

Learning even the small amount of theory I know expanded what I already knew by a ton and gave me more to feel with.

it is hard for me to understand that we all do not understand this.

gwjensen and BallisticSquid like this.

14. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Too funny............ the OP bailed out (of this thread and forum) almost 6 years ago.

15. fezz parka

It's fear, pure and simple. Fear of not getting it, fear of it "changing" the way you play (misinformation from the "feel" crowd). And...a complete misunderstanding of its "complexity". It's not hard, as you well know. :D

T Guitar Floyd and dogletnoir like this.

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Learning theory did change the way I play. For the better IMHO. I like to think that I play with feeling, and always have, but learning theory opened up new areas of exploration for me that I was ignorant of before.

I think I still play with feeling, but my playing is developing, and yes it has changed the way I approach my playing, but it did not change the underlying personality or feel of my playing. Theory, far from being a limitation, has broken down barriers and given me greater freedom by showing me new possibilities and ways to express myself. It has also become easier for me to learn and memorize new songs now.

I say do not fear, embrace. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 9:07 PM

17. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    You read me like a book on that one!

Before someone introduced me to theory in the simple to understand from the beginning version I am climbing the ropes of, I figured it was way to hard to understand and avoided it like the plague.

18. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Too bad... they might have actually learned something if they'd stuck around, LOL.
    In any case, if the question's not going away, why not keep on answering it?

davidKOS and fezz parka like this.

19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You left out "laziness."