Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Thinking about a new amp

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StrugglingStrum, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM.

1. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    You’ve heard that the more money you spend on a guitar you get diminishing returns. I feel the same way about amps. Seems like the more I spend the less satisfied I am. Currently, I have a micro cube and a Marshall dsl 40c.

I don’t have a budget necessarily, so throw out something you think is truly worth getting. I know a lot of people like the boss katana, and that is an option, but I’m kind of thinking an orange rockerverb or something to that effect. What do you think about the tubemeister 18?

2. martynrss2

martynrss2 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2010
    Aberdeen
    A decent small tube amp is worth the money.

Depending on your needs and how loud you need it. Blackstar ht5’s are fantastic and really well priced. Vox ac4 is also another great one. If you’re moving up a bit I would recommend taking a look at a Vox ac15 or the new Marshall origin 20.

There are some fantastic amps in the mid hundreds price bracket, and it’s reasonable easy to pick up a used one for a decent discounted price.

StrugglingStrum likes this.
  3. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    There are some fantastic amps in the mid hundreds price bracket, and it’s reasonable easy to pick up a used one for a decent discounted price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’m considering the Yamaha thr10. But it might be too close to my micro cube. The ac15 is interesting but I wanted some modeling options as well.

4. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I think a nice 15, 20 or 30 watt tube would be sweet for ya.

I use to primarily use, play and love Orange. Orange makes great amps but they have that Orange sound. If that sound is something your after than it’s worth looking at. I’ve moved on past Orange now and only Orange I have is a Orange 4x12 which I believe their cabinets are hard to beat. Btw a Rockerverb can get a little pricey if new and used you can find some decent prices but do remember the MK1, MK2 and MK3 all have a bit of difference in sound and again it’s Orange so I’d test the heck out of some Orange amps to see if that’s you for sure.

H&K Tubemeisters I’ve heard lots of positive things and a couple small annoyances. The little bit I tried them I thought they were pretty decent but again it’s a H&K and a Tubemeister so try them out first.

Picking an amp can be a hunt for sure and sometimes harder than a hunt for a guitar. I finally found one I love to death which is a PRS Archon 100 which was billed as a metal head amp but surprisingly to everyone who has tried one they have one of the best clean channels and lots lots lots of clean headroom. It’s pricey like a Orange Rockerverb but it kills Orange to me but that’s me.

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Fender Super Champ X2 is a great little amp at 15w . It has some good modeling features from the factory and more can be had through the fender fuse technology .

The clean channel is great as well and has a good many effects available .

The Champ also takes pedals well .

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-Talker

Oct 16, 2018
    Oregon
    I just came from a Marshall DSL 40C, and a pair of Vox AC30’s. I used them for years, the AC 30’s as part of a Brian May rig, and the Marshall for everything else. Well, a friend of mine has a music store, and he is a Mesa/Boogie, as well as CAR, and Swart dealer. He had a Mesa MKV 25 with a single 12” cabinet that I took a liking to and bought.

I took it home and it does everything that the Marshall and Vox amps did, except for the tremolo. And it weighs so much less than those amps. I can run it at 10 or 25 Watts. And the sound is more shapeable. It has MKII, V, and extreme modes. And the clean channel is sparkling and clear, and full. I never really had a useable clean tone in the others. And at 10 watts, with the volumes at 9 O’clock, it is louder than the AC30 was with the tubes dimes and the master vol at 12 O’clock.

I traded or sold the other three amps, as I didn’t need them anymore. And it’s nice not having to lift the Vox. I would recommend a Mesa MK V 25, but they are kind of pricey. Seriously when I discovered the Mesa, the search was over.

7. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    Man, pricey is an understatement.. I’ve always wanted try one though..