Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Thoughts of El - a Squid original

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by BallisticSquid, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Yeah, this Squid went ahead and recorded an original song. A group of local guitarists put a project together to publish some instrumental guitar songs to raise money for charity. I figured why the heck not!! I recorded a chord progression I had been fooling with for about a year, added a bit to it, and thought "now what?!?!". I had written myself into a box because I had no idea how I would solo over it. I found a way.

One thing I realized is I can't deny my influences :).

Not sure how the chord progression works, but it does, to my ears anyway.

Who can guess the reference in the title of the song?

My bass player in my band was kind enough to provide a bass track, which really rounded the song out nicely I thought.

Enjoy!

dogletnoir, mjark, Chont and 9 others like this.

2. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    (cough)

:)

Guess everybody is too busy digging out after the Snowpocolypse :).

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I really like the vibe and feel of this track @BallisticSquid :thumb:

I get an almost Warren Hayes thing from it. Very well done Mr Squid.

BallisticSquid likes this.

4. Kurt Villella

Kurt Villella Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Very nice, love the tone of the lead guitar in this. Whats rig/setup are you using here?

5. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Thanks guys! This was fun to do!

I used my Zoom G5 on this. I believe the amp sim was a '59 Marshall. The key to the lead tone I believe was the fuzz simulation...fuzz face. I also used the neck pickup on my PRS CE24. That combo gave me a nice mellow yet singing and sustaining tone.

Kurt Villella likes this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Nice and mellow, and melodic. Nicely done. :thumb:

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    It's nice. Has the makings of a nice theme at the top. Feels like an extended solo section. Well done.

8. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Thanks you guys!

It sounds like an extended solo section because I improvised it. This was a scratch track just to throw some stuff up on the wall and see how it would go. I set out to develop a theme, repeat it, expand it, etc. I knew the chords and the sections but didn't even plan out how long each part would be. They happened to fall into place correctly when I played it. Problem was I really liked how it came out and I wasn't sure I'd be able to capture the moment again. Minor things here and there were fixed with copy/paste...some chord change misses and stuff. The part with the descending chords I had really liked what I did the first time around, so that was copied. I was in a bit of a dip as far as my mood and it reflected nicely in the song I thought.

I decided to leave it as is.

This track is me...this is my home base of playing. It's why I struggle playing more upbeat fast stuff at times.

Very much appreciate the feedback after my not so subtle bump :).

fezz parka likes this.

9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    It went great!

I've been working the past ten years on composing on the fly. Finding a theme off the top of my head, then remembering it. Thematic development.

This was all off the top of my head. I listened to the complete track once, singing/humming over it. Then I recorded it in one take, no punching.

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Awesome job Squid, I like it......

11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    You too fezz, you both nailed it......

BallisticSquid and fezz parka like this.

12. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I think I may have heard this before. This is great stuff...well composed and played! It has a hopeful yet haunting tone to it. I like it!

13. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Here's a question for the theory nerds (ahem, @fezz parka :) )...any clues on how/why this works? I couldn't think of single harmonized scale that would have fit these chords....parts, but not all.

I put the chord progression together strictly because it sounded good to me and it matched what I heard in my head. I started with the Dm to C thing just because I liked the sound. After that, there is the A Bb A G part. It just went where I wanted it to go based on what I heard in my head. I suspect I unconsciously ripped that off a PF track (Dogs perhaps).

The last part I added was the descending part where it goes G F E. What I noticed was if I didn't have a long pause holding the G there, it didn't sound right. Maybe because it doesn't fit the key of the rest of the tune? It's almost like your ears had to be flushed out before this part commenced. It added the melancholy tone which I liked.

I ended on the whole thing on D major...gives it a hopeful sound at the end. I realized after doing some research that this wasn't exactly a new idea LOL.

The lead lines sat in the framework of the Dm pentatonic, but I noodled around to find some other notes that fit in various places.

I had set out to do something that wasn't based on I, IV, V, so I did manage to accomplish that at least :).

The biggest thing I learned working on this was how satisfying it can be "writing" something.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Natural minor scale in D:

D E F G A Bb C

D natural minor Chord progression:

• i – D minor, D minor seventh (Dmin, Dmin7)
    • iidim – E diminished, E minor seventh flat five (Edim, Em7b5)
    • III – F major, F major seventh (Fmaj, Fmaj7)
    • iv – G minor, G minor seventh (Gmin, Gmin7)
    • v – A minor, A minor seventh (Amin, Amin7)
    • VI – B flat major, B flat major seventh (Bbmaj, Bbmaj7)
    • VII – C major, C dominant seventh (Cmaj, C7)

So, Dm to C. i/VII.

Here you're using major chords where minor chords are in the natural minor progression. The A and Bb major are the V and VI borrowed from the harmonic minor chord progression. The G major is the IV borrowed from the melodic minor.

This is the IV, III, II. The E is major.

So, you have:

Dm-C = i/VII.
    A-Bb-A-G = V/VI/V/IV
    G-F-E = IV/III/II.

So as far as scales go.

D minor pent, D natural min are the on the nose scales.

As far as modes go, look at the seven degrees with F major ( relative to Dm) as the parent scale. :)

15. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The part that confused me were the major chords that should.have been minor. When I was working on it I had tried using some minor chords but they didn't sound right to me.

I will sit down and study this more closely over the weekend.

Thank you very much for the analysis. What I like about something like this is I have a practical example to relate it all to.

16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    The only real exception is the E major. The rest are borrowed from other minor progressions, and the root of each chord is in the natural minor scale. And, if it sounds right to you as the composer, it is right. :)

17. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania

18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I'm jargon challenged...
    So
    I'll just say...
    It is pleasant

19. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Thanks you guys! Pleasant is good...I'll take it :).

20. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I knew that wasnt no strat! haha it was killing me.