Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Thoughts on Pedalboards?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by johnnywizzo, Jan 12, 2018.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

Dec 21, 2014
    Here
    I'm finally getting around to organizing my pedals on a board. Up until now, they have just been scattered around on the floor in my studio, or stuffed in a carry bag and set up at a gig.

Does anyone have more than one board? I'm thinking about a large board set up for my studio, and a small board for gigs. Advice?

2. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA

3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

Dec 21, 2014
    Here
    Thanks, I saw that. But I didn't see any discussion on multiple boards (however, there are are lot of posts to wade through).

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Some do, some don't. I used to have a larger board for gigs and a small practice board at home. Now that I only use 3-4 pedals I just have one board.

johnnywizzo likes this.

5. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Mar 13, 2017
    Yardley, PA USA
    I am just completing a board revision and division into 2 PBs. Much larger one for playing/recording in my home studio (fancy word for gear room!) and a smaller one of essentials for various uses: elsewhere in the house, friends' houses, my limited gigs. Should have some pics by tonight.

johnnywizzo likes this.

6. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I build my own, but limit myself dimensionally because I want it to fit into the gig bag I use. I leave enough room "above" to fit another pedal. I also could have built the front up taller to mount the power supply underneath but then it would have been too much of an angle for me...(I'm too picky).

I only play with up to 5 pedals- a lot for me considering that a mere few years ago, one or two were my limit LOL!

This is just 1x3" boards screwed together and painted. I like making them. If you look close you can see the left-most leg through one of the spaces in the mounting boards. There are three legs in the front.

001.JPG

I did mount my delay- I'll have to take a new pic.

I often wondered about doing a 2 tier board that could come apart. Having all your "essential" pedals for a "grab and go" and then using both tiers for when you'd want all your pedals together. Should be doable...I think!

This will be interesting- gonna watch this thread!

Brian

Electgumbo and amstratnut like this.

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Bismarck, ND
    I dont understand why pedalboards are so expensive. Such as pedaltrains. I will quickly be admonished no doubt, but its some extruded aluminum tacked together, c'mon. Yea the soft case too.

8. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I have three boards. A Pedaltrain Pro, Gator Board Large, and a Pedaltrain Jr.

I definitely suggest a smaller to medium board to use as a grab and go for jams and gigs etc. My Pedaltrain Pro, between the pedals, power supplies (2), and the travel case, can be a back breaker. The other two I have are much more portable. The Gator can hold twelve standard sized pedals, and the Jr. can hold ten standard sized pedals. Both come with soft sided gig bags that make transport a bit easier on the back.

johnnywizzo likes this.

9. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    It's nice to have a small "grab and go" rig for jams and such. Will post pics of mine later.

johnnywizzo likes this.

10. CephasG

CephasG Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    You will get no admonition from me. I have a Pedaltrain Classic 2 and think it is overpriced for what it is.
    Back to the original question by the OP, I would go single board but that's me, I don't use a lot of pedals.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

11. Anderonn

Anderonn Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2016
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I did a little research and built my pedalboard from scratch.

Bought all the stuff I needed from my local hardware and got it done within a day.

Only cost about $60 or so. Try that if your handy. Save you some cash (for more pedals of course) and you can take some pride knowing you made it yourself.

12. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

Dec 21, 2014
    Here
    After much deliberation, I've put my pedalboard together. I've got more pedals, but these are my mainstays. I wanted a board that was portable. IMG_0943.JPG

13. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Love the little Gator Board. I didn't know they made them that small.

johnnywizzo likes this.

14. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

Dec 21, 2014
    Here
    I had originally ordered a large Gator board, but I cancelled and reordered the small (on sale for $79). I wanted something for 4 pedals that would be easy to grab and go for gigs, and not be too heavy. Now I'm thinking about getting a large Gator board and putting together another for my studio, something that will house more pedals. The adventure continues...

I mostly use my Fender Deluxe Reverb in my studio, so I don't need a tremolo or a reverb pedal, as they are built into the amp. But these 4 pedals on the small board are the effects that I use most often. It would be nice to have other effects used less often mounted on a bigger studio board that I don't have to move around.

slaghockey7 and Raiders757 like this.

15. gitlvr

gitlvr Strat-O-Master

Sep 1, 2008
    No. Va
    I don't gig anymore, but if I did, I would seriously build a smaller one, at least for practice.
    I would probably drag the larger board to gigs because I want all my options there.

Raiders757 and johnnywizzo like this.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I recently got my board "up and running right".

I used an old SKB board and drilled holes for plugs in it so the power could run under the board.

I attached a 2x6 board to the surface of the top row to raise up the pedals cause I kept hitting bottom row controls.

Ill grab a pic after work. Its not pretty but it works.

17. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Still using the pedal box I made that I have showed pics of several times before. Pull the cables leading in from the guitar and out to the amp, pull the pug and tuck it in, and the board part hinges up into the box part. A little heavy, but it's just 3/4 pine, a plexi front, and 1/4" ply under the board. My deceased wife created and silk screened the acanthus leaves pattern on the plexi - frickin awesome! (I also got her to make a jungle pattern silk screen that she did on the bottom of my Dusters long board, also amazing). I also have some of that green led strip lights mounted up inside the box to light things up, which is powered from one of the 9 volt spots on the power block. Looks cool. A little more banged around than in these pics, but still looks pretty sweet up front in the dark. Sometimes I just take a tuner and play everything straight.

Here's a pic of the longboard too - 11.JPG 3.JPG 26.JPG 25.JPG DSC01602.JPG

18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    54DED917-6637-491F-B0E7-C7CBF73E408F.jpeg 823F37C0-9B6B-4526-9327-80DC14C5F165.jpeg 60E0E301-C58C-4863-A15F-54E04C3A283F.jpeg 312C8C77-5184-4AC3-B050-63AA4D14DE45.jpeg CB9AB498-82D4-4B48-AA69-CCA59E8BEC22.jpeg B09BDE1B-4AC8-4CF6-B580-66465D39C085.jpeg I have/had several over the years. The large PT Pro I found too heavy to carry to gigs so it became the home/experimental board. Besides it has the soft case which isn’t the best protection. The PT-1 with the hard case is what I use for gigs. Large enough to put everything needed for a gig but small enough to carry. I have the little Nano+ I can stick a few pedals on and power with a daisy chain for a grab and go thing. I had a large Oddessy board and road case with wheels but it was just too heavy and bulky so sold it. I’ve had home made ones that worked good too but I eventually wanted something a little more up town...

Raiders757 and johnnywizzo like this.

19. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I'm almost embarrassed to put mine here. Home made, I maybe have $25 in it. But works for what I use it for.

20180115_182422_resized.jpg

20. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    What is the loop switcher you have in a couple of your boards?