Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Thoughts on this 1997 American Standard Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bellingjam, May 17, 2018.

1. Bellingjam

Bellingjam Strat-Talk Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    Hello everyone,

I recently stumbled upon this listing online: The guitar is advertised as an American Standard Strat from 1997 with Tex Mex pickups upgraded at some point, and I really dig the colour of the body and the rosewood fretboard. The one thing I do not really like is the extra fret- 22 is one too much for me, but oh well... Having recently sold some gear, I was thinking about buying ths one and possibly flipping it again with some slight profit if it does not really ring any bell for me. Now my question is- does anything about the guitar seem off? I usually wouldn´t think about it too much, but after reading a thread on here about a guy having bought a very well faked strat, I just would like to hear some opinions on this. By the way, how do you all loke the Tex Mex Pus?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Here is a link to the listing: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fender-american-stratocaster-1997/868444491-74-5897

2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France

I have a 97 AM Standard myself and that one in the advert looks very much authentic and genuine.. :thumb:

By the way.. in my opinion the pickups look like the originals.. Alnico Vs. Damn good pickups if that's what they turn out to be..

Red label case too.. good one..

Tone Guru and Bellingjam like this.
  3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Wow, this is this first time I've seen a complaint about that extra fret. :eek:

Those appear to be the stock DeltaTone pickups, and no-load on the bottom tone control.

The guitar looks fine but the website looks fake. o_O
    Is there a link to a legit eBay listing ?
    <not very good with German>

mcmacguy, Nate D and Will Lefeurve like this.
  4. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Ha ha.. your comment on the extra fret made me laugh.. :D

Re the pickups, yeah they are the originals aren't they. That can only be a good thing.. :thumb:

Forgot to say... that's a pretty good price too 469euro. I think you'd be paying closer to 650euro for that in the UK.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Nate D, Bellingjam and Tone Guru like this.
  5. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    If that set was in one of my guitars I would most likely leave them in there. :cool:

Bellingjam and Will Lefeurve like this.
  6. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Absolutely.. I've been playing them for years through an old Blues Junior, and I can get some wonderful tones/harmonics out of them. Great pups.. :thumb:

Bellingjam likes this.
  7. Bellingjam

Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    Thanks for the input guys! The website is actually part of eBay but it's rather like Craiglist in the US, all private listings and mostly local pickup. I have contacted the seller and if he answers I'll try to get him down to 450 Euros- a man can dream... I' ll keep you updated! That would be the second American made guitar ever for me... Exciting!

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Those don't look like Tex Mex pickups in the photos, they look like the original 90s American Standard pickups....I don't think anything on it is changed....AMAZING deal !! Go get it!!

The seller is wrong about the pickups....the guitar is 100% stock...

Will Lefeurve and Bellingjam like this.
  9. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    That is a very good deal indeed!
    And that colour is very cool too.

Bellingjam and Will Lefeurve like this.
  10. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I wouldn't haggle too much @Bellingjam .. that's a very keen deal on an AM Standard. Don't lose it for the sake of a few euros. Especially with that original Fender Red Label case. They are hard to come by nowadays, and in UK fetch £100 easy.

Bellingjam likes this.
  11. Bellingjam

Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    Greetings again, here goes a little update: The seller responded and told me that he is willing and able to ship the guitar, but he does not use paypal- bummer, but many people, especially older ones, avoid it because they fear being ripped off. Not too weird, right? Then I asked about the price- he answered immeadiately afterwards and said we can do 460 including shipping- too good to be true? Well, he then gave me his bank information for the money transfer, but upon googling the bank account´s owner, I found out that this is most likely a scam: The name used for the bank account is well- known amongst German guitar buyers; typically, there will be a listing on ebay and similar pages for pretty well- priced instruments, and the bank account is owned by a weird sounding, eastern- european sounding person. As soon as the money is gone- poof. Nothing. Usually the banks being used for the accounts are small, privately owned ones so the police cannot really do anything about it either. Bummer for me, but better than losing that money I guess!

Will Lefeurve and ChukkerNation like this.
  12. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Good for you for spotting it!

Bellingjam likes this.
  13. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Ah.. what a shame. I was actually wondering if you'd bought it or not. Its a good job you wised up to what was going on.. jeez.. there are scammers everywhere.. :thumbd:

Bellingjam likes this.
  14. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Good job doing your research. And remember, you didn't lose out on a good deal b/c the guitar likely doesn't exist in terms of this transaction. If the deal's really good, it's likely not real.