Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Tilt EQ?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, May 17, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

[​IMG]

I find this little gadget helpful on the mix buss. I don't have much trouble dialing in eq for individual tracks and getting them to work together but I have a hard time "visualizing" (obviously not the right word but I can't think of one for the same idea but hearing) what I want to do to sweeten the mixed result. The tile eq gets me just using my ear and sweeping back and forth.

Anyone use these gadgets and how do you use them?

Twelve8 likes this.
  2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    You’ve probably figured out that sweeping in one direction it boosts the treble while pulling down the bass - and sweeping the other way it boosts the bass while pulling down the treble.

I don’t use it a lot but when trying to find the right spot for two instruments or instrument and voice which occupy similar frequencies — lightly sweeping one to bass and one to treble can help separate the two sonically.

Or if you find the whole mix is bass heavy or bass light, it rebalances everything in a simple way.

As with all effects - a little can go a long way.

3. Dadocaster

That's one of the things I like about it: I can work with a relatively small boost/cut and hear a difference easily when sweeping.

4. Dadocaster

Also: You can kind of think in those words that people use that are not specific. Do you want the sound "brighter" or "darker?"

I don't know this stuff so well that I can reliably figure out what to boost and what to cut by frequency.

5. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Any use?

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/audio/audio.html

6. Dadocaster

Of great use along with the other 147 various frequency range cheat sheets and charts that I have. :D

I think the thing that is hard, and that the tilt eq kind of does, is deal with interactions?? You can cut or you can boost, and cutting might sound better but it's also possible that a bit of both would be best. That's what I like about the tilt eq.

As mentioned, I usually can do a decent job of making individual elements sound the way I want and I can do a half assed mix that gets the message across. It's that final eq applied to the whole mix that confounds me, but confounds me much less when twiddling the couple of knobs on the tilt eq.

I hope at least some of that made some sense.

7. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    It’s been said a thousand times I’m sure but I will reiterate. One of the best ways to eq a final mix is to listen in mono. This is especially true if one uses a bit of effects on multiple tracks. Stereo can fool you because the aural space sounds larger and more open. I am not familiar with “ tilt” but eq’s all do the same thing just in a variety of ways. A really good mix engineer made a statement about eq that I have yet to find untrue, “ Add eq to change the sound and reduce eq to clarify.” And as stated above less is more.

8. Dadocaster

The think about the tilt eq is that it does a bit of both at the same time. :D

moullineaux likes this.
  9. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    I don't have this, I'll download when I'm home from work. Thanks for the heads up :)

10. Dadocaster

When you have a chance to tinker with it, I would love to hear your impressions. As stated, I can manage ok when I am doing EQ on individual elements, or even a buss with things on it, but when I get to doing a mix buxx eq or one on the Master fader for half ass mastering, I have trouble with eq on the overall mix. This is kind of like a tone knob but with up/down cut/boost.