Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

To buy or not to buy (another Strat) - that is the question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gilmourstrat, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:11 AM.

1. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Hi guys,

so far I have just ONE Strat (running for safety now :D) and I'm super happy with it. It's a Road Worn 50's in Black. The sound, feeling and playability is all I want on a Strat.

I play on a Pink Floyd tribute band and I'm considering buying a second Strat to take as backup (at the moment taking a LP style just in case). The LP can "manage" but I want something with higher quality as well as backup in case something happens to #1.

Thing is: I'm so happy with the Road Worn that, at the moment, I don't feel the need to buy a second one. Should I wait until a #1 candidate appears? Should I buy another type guitar? What would you do? My budget for a new guitar at the moment is around 1000 EUR.. can stretch a bit if guitar is worth it...

Thank you!

2. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Rule #1: You can NEVER have too many guitars.. ;)

3. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You are a Zen Master of restraint. I could survive with one but there is no need for such asceticism and I rarely even play out. If I played DG cover, I could not resist having one with a set of EMGs and one with a Black Strat pickup config., then maybe another for non-Floyd stuff. Given your deliberate nature, yes, I would wait until a Number One that outshines your current crazy diamond comes along, then mod the Roadworn as above.

4. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    You'll always find encouragement here for another guitar.

bgmacaw likes this.

5. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'm getting another guitar indeed but should it be a Strat? Maybe a nice Gibson LP? A Tele? Or, playing in a PF Tribute, I should definitely get a new Strat?

6. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    The answer is a definite yes. Get out and try a variety of Strats, you will know when you find the right one.

7. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2013
    UK
    Tele - all the way. You may find your Strat doesn't get played much after that though... ;)

smithstrato and mimmo like this.

8. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Oh right!! That would be cheaper too :)

Count Glockula® likes this.

9. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talk Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Tokyo
    Is it a trick question?

I’m always in the market for a new strat if something nice comes up, and the price is right.

10. Kurt Villella

Kurt Villella Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Didn't read the OP, all I needed was the title.

YES, buy another strat!!!!

But seriously, YES. I'd say go for a strat that is different than your #1. If you have to have one similar in feel and play-ability than at least try some different pick-ups. I have 2 strats at the moment, love them both, but they are very different sounding. I like having the option of picking one or the other up when I'm feeling inspired to get the sound that I really want.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Since you are in a Pink Floyd tribute band, and you already have a black strat, you need one of these.

CEB06309-2F12-46B5-8644-D2BA80BF2279_zpsugidt2ga.jpg

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    The answer to that question is always a resounding "YES!!!"

13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    . . . just one more ;)

Groovey likes this.

14. Strat*Fan81

Strat*Fan81 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    I completely understand where you’re coming from. I, too, have a black 50’s RW that is out of this world good. I put a set of pure vintage ‘59s in it awhile back and I honestly can’t see it being bumped from the #1 spot. But sometimes we just want another guitar. AND THATS OK! Lol it took me a bit to come to terms with that. But now that I have, I have a new American Original 60’s Strat in candy Apple red coming today. I passed on the 50’s original because I honestly believe the RW would still have won out all playing time over any other 50’s style guitar. Moral of this overly long post is, if you want another guitar and can afford it, get yourself another guitar and enjoy it!

gilmourstrat likes this.

15. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI

16. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

17. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    As deschain said you can never have to many guitars. As for buying another strat or something else that’s tough. I would prob go for a les Paul but that’s above the 1000 price point. Reason I say les Paul is that it’s just such an awesome compliment to a strat especially if you’re recording. Two strats is awesome which I myself have but before getting more strats I would get something with a different sound that the “strat” Sound. Tele yes it’s an amazing guitar too but having a warm tone humbucker guitar in your arsenal is amazing.

18. Sashman

Sashman New Member!

Feb 10, 2018
    Germany
    The question is not: Should I buy another Strat?

The question is: What Strat should I buy next?

:)

Best wishes
    Sascha

KiwiStratFan likes this.

19. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Moderator Staff Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Canada
    It's time for an equation!

Your budget+your user name+your band=Classic Series 60s CAR+DG20 EMG pickups+SPC+EXP