Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by felis, May 9, 2014.

1. 2-Finger

2-Finger Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    @felis , it's not easy to understand him because there is a lot of background noise, but he says something like this:

It's a prototype.... It's a bit of a strange guitar, I've never played anything like this before. A different shape and a different pick-up and electronics combination. Two single coils and a different sound from any other guitar I have ever tried. Sounds very good!

felis likes this.

2. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Thanks my friend. :thumb:

In the sixties (as far as I know) they made 3 variations on this model.
    "prototype", very interesting, maybe more to come. :cool:

2-Finger likes this.

3. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Thought I'd share some pics of a nice old Breezysound that just came my way.

I'm currently (reluctantly) selling my Breezy and got chatting to a guy through eBay who happens to have the same model but with a rosewood board. I've never seen another Tortoiseshell Mahogany Breezy so it's really cool to know there's at least one more out there. I wonder how many are around in total..?

He apparently bought his new in 1985. Funnily enough, both of these have got quite a bit of wear in the same spots on the back of the body.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    @jofish that TTE-TMR (rosewood fretboard) looks nice, but I think the original Tokai bridge (six small barrels) on your Breezy is way more attractive. ;):thumb:

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Interesting, I didn't know that you could get a Tortoiseshell Mahogany Breezy with a rosewood board. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one before.

Of course the neck could have been swapped. The bridge clearly has been. Looks like a Gotoh bridge to me, I used to have one of those on my MIJ Tele. I still prefer the Tokai bridges though, the ones with no edge & six small saddles - well designed & solidly made, unlike some similar efforts by Fender.

6. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Yeah, good spot, it is a Gotoh bridge. The guy said he changed out the original as the saddles were ripping skin off his right hand. Can't say I've ever had that problem but I don't really play mine enough!

The TM in the Tokai catalogues has a rosewood board so I'd say it's all original. He did also send a pic of the back of the neck and it has the correct "60" and "Made in Japan" stickers. (I should have really uploaded all the pics but my post was long enough as it was...)

s-l1600 (1).jpg tokai859.jpg

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    My memory really must be going - I have that catalogue! :oops:

jofish likes this.

8. oroq

oroq New Member!

Feb 11, 2018
    UK
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Tokai Goldstar Sound second-hand. Not sure what year it's from, but I'm guessing it's around a decade old. Overall I'm really pleased with it, probably the best guitar I've owned up till now (and actually my first ever Strat-type guitar). The only one issue I've found with it is the nut; the slots are poorly cut. I've decided to replace it with one of those Tusq XL precut ones. Also, I'm not too sure about the quality of the tuners. After removing them I can see they have "Japan" marked on the inside, although nothing on the outside. I've attached a photo, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. Is it worth replacing them for some new Schaller/Gotoh/etc ones?
    Thanks for any advice.

[​IMG]

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It would be nice to see the rest of the guitar so we know what we're dealing with. We don't even know where it was made! If it's a Japanese Goldstar, the tuners should be much the same as any Fender with vintage style tuners. Since many of us on here have Tokais that are 30 to 40 years old with their original tuners, there shouldn't be any need to rush into changing them if they work well now.

10. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Here is my in a need of set up 1980 Tokai SS-36 at very low volume thru my Garnet Gnome 7 watt tube amp dated a bout 1975

felis likes this.

11. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    @Percy showing vids of our beloved Tokais :cool:, great idea. :thumb:

I"ll follow, if I may ;), my 'favorite' ST(80R) during practice (I believe it was our second or maybe even first take on L&oL?) through a MustangII

2-Finger, Thrup'ny Bit and Percy like this.

12. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    And my 'overall favorite' TE80R.

Big thanks to simoncroft (audio/video) and all the other wonderfull Euroguestock people. :thumb:

2-Finger and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

13. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    And the 'Flamed Moiré' ;) ST100 neck.

14. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    (continuation from previous page) some 'not so good :(' extra info;

"Tokai THB200S Humming bird 50Th anniversary, only 30 units for all the world, Handmade in Japan."

15. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Would have loved to get my hands on one of these
    [​IMG]
    I guess it's a longshot now.:(

16. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I'm sure you are one of the 30 greatest tokai fan in the world. You have your chance !

felis likes this.

17. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    I'm contacting a friend that may have some scope, but chances are slim. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit and usul1978 like this.

18. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    There might be something (has yet to be confirmed), I'll definitely ;) keep you guys posted!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    usul1978 and jofish like this.

19. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Follow-up; I have some mixed feelings at the moment, first I'm sad and feeling a bit bad about missing out on the UK London Roguestock.

But on the other hand, I'm pleased to announce that my friend is coming through big time.
    I will not only be very likely to order a Humming Bird, but also get to choose a prefered colour, and even type of body construction!

usul1978 likes this.