Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by felis, May 9, 2014.

1. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Your right!!!!:thumb:I like old 70's Strats but imo the Tokai sounds darn good!!!!!

felis likes this.

2. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    I think so too. :thumb:

Percy likes this.

3. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    And that for, with respect, an SS38, makes me wonder how a ......:whistling: ;)

Percy likes this.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I've never yet met a 70s Strat I wanted (I should be able to say that in here without getting flamed, I hope?), & I've never yet met (or owned) a Tokai I didn't like. I think that should answer the question? :whistling:

To be fair, the only significant difference between an SS38 (the base model) & any other SS is the tuners. I'm not sure that the pickups are any different on the more prestigious models? If they are different, they tend to be unstamped, so how would we know? Even the cheapest SS has alnicos, unlike the cheapest Springy or Goldstar.

felis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    This.

felis likes this.

6. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Lately when a SilverStar comes to mention, it raises my interest (never had or even played one). Although I'm not looking for another (still working out the pre-order details for a Humming Bird) Tokai at the moment .

So yesterday, just for the fun of it, I 'casually' take a look at our Belgian "2ndhand" site, and look what shows up locally. o_O 406151248-vintage-japan-tokai-stratocaster-de-1982.jpg

406151248_2-vintage-japan-tokai-stratocaster-de-1982(1).jpg
    Will I never learn.....!?!? :rolleyes: Now I have to....delete...delete...delete....my thoughts.....again. ;)

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You want us to put you off buying it?

You won't like the tuners.

felis likes this.

8. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Since yesterday evening, I'm saying exactly that to myself, endlessly. :D

9. Percy

Do you Tokai experts know what color this SS-38 is?Would it be OLy white or vintage white?

Thanks all....

10. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    On TF I have seen OW colour codes on SS models.

[​IMG]

Percy likes this.

11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-Talker

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ

12. Percy

I love that Colour!!!!:thumb:

felis likes this.

13. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    full view ;)

[​IMG]

Percy likes this.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It's Olympic White, like this SS60 I used to own. I have never seen Vintage White on Tokais, it's a 1980s Fender invention.

IMG_2035.JPG

Percy likes this.

15. blille

blille Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2016
    California
    Hello wise people of the Tokai club. I come to you after searching the internets to no avail.

Are there Tokai Silver Stars with a fretboard radius of 9.5 or higher?

Do they all have SSS routing or do any have a more flexible routing?

Thanks for your time.

16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    To the best of my knowledge, none of Tokai's Strat copies (Silver Star, Springy or Goldstar) have anything other than a vintage-correct 7.25" radius, & they should all have S-S-S routing. It's possible that some of the other Strat shaped guitars (some of the strange things called "Custom" this or "Custom" that) might have a humbucker routing or two, but I doubt it, though I've never owned one of these.

Maybe your best bet would be one of the 1980s Fender Japan contemporary style Strats? Many of these had 12" radius & some came with bridge humbuckers as stock. Many also had "modern" trems such as Kahlers or Fender's own Systems One, Two or Three. This may not be exactly what you want, but it's probably closer than what Tokai can offer you. And the 80s Superstrats are not very fashionable any more, so you can sometimes grab them for relatively little money. I assume that some of these must have made it across The Pond in 1985/6 when Fender US production was extremely low? Certainly the walls of UK guitars stores were covered in them in the mid to late 80s.

17. blille

blille Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2016
    California
    Thanks for your reply. I can’t come to terms with a 7.25 so that’s a shame. I’ll check the superstrats but I’m no a fan of floyds/kahlers.

I’ll try Grecos next :)

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I think what Sir is looking for is probably a Tokai SUPER EDITION SE40 or SD45. Please walk this way...

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 19.27.31.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...804493?hash=item2855a8994d:g:eFEAAOSweWham8Vd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-To...123081003161?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

https://reverb.com/uk/item/3295595-tokai-super-edition-se40-black-vintage-japan-stratocaster

http://muzbass.ru/products/2274/

I don't know the exact board radius, but you can see it's pretty flat.

blille and felis like this.

19. blille

blille Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2016
    California
    DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

Now I know what to look for, thanks!

felis likes this.

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Ah, I had an idea there was something - so it's Super Edition, is it? You're right, those boards do look flat, which makes me think 12" rather than 9.5". I'm not sure Tokai ever used 9.5" radius.

The problem with those is that most models numbered below 50 had those horrible trap shaped tuners, which I have always tried to avoid.

EDIT: the two on eBay have the same sort of tuners the Fender Japan Contemporaries had - Gotohs, I assume. They should be OK.