Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai Goldstar, just hype?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TorontoMapleStrat, Nov 11, 2017.

1. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I’m kind of itching to buy another Strat. I’m considering an early 80’s Tokai Goldstar. Never owned one before. Are they overrated? Debating between that and an American special. I have had an American special before and liked it. The Tokai has non original pups( has classic vibe)and an old humbucker route. Both about the same price (about $575US)

Thoughts?

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    If cost is not a consideration, buy whichever guitar feels good in your hands and sounds good.

3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

the Tokai is a really good guitar, and a bit of history. But if they routed it for a bucker I would say it's been compromised. still cool just not "all original", I would offer less.

felis likes this.

4. TorontoMapleStrat

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I’m really just looking for one to keep in my office to play around on at lunch etc. That way I can buy another without the wife knowing lol so I’m really not worried about pickups. I know the specials and would be happy with that. It’s the tokais I’m curious about. People talk them up but I wonder if they are over hyped.

5. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

I think they are really good guitars but I would buy one for the history, some argue they were better than the fender models of the time. I would love to have an all original in my collection.

6. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    What model # Goldstarsound?

7. TorontoMapleStrat

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    They claim it is an 83 ST60

8. TorontoMapleStrat

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    If it was all orig I'd have no problem giving it a try at that price but with the mods? I don't know. I don't like losing money if I don't like and sell afterwards. I just don't know the Tokai

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    ST60 Goldstar Sound (in original condition) should make for a pretty decent guitar.

Considering resale (with mods), I think the American Special would be a safer bet.

Will Lefeurve and Neil.C like this.

10. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    When buying a Tokai Strat replica model for it's history, (just because of the logo) the Springysound is what 'most people' think of as 'more desirable'.

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I worked for a dealer that sold Fender and Tokai in the mid eighties. Your comments are right on the money.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

12. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I'm a big Tokai fan and have an original.. but I'd go with
    @felis here. Most people after old Tokai's know exactly what they want, and prefer them to be as original and authentic as possible. I certainly wouldn't buy one that had been modded, unless it was as cheap as chips, and even then.. ??? :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    felis likes this.

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes they do, but the advantage of buying a Goldstar over a Springy is that it's exactly the same guitar, just a couple of years newer but a lot cheaper. Over here we have a good choice of Goldstars as they were widely distributed in the 80s, so we can pick & choose & decline to buy a "modified" example. Those of you in North America don't have that choice - there were fewer on sale there so they are less common now & therefore more expensive. In contrast, those of you in North America get your MIA & MIM Fenders a fair bit cheaper than we do, which puts a Tokai at a financial disadvantage.

Buying a Goldstar or three make great sense in the UK - we can pick them up relatively cheaply in a variety of cool colours, & the quality of materials & construction shines out. And it's cool as a slightly "left field" choice. But whether a Goldstar is such a good buy in Canada is hard to say without knowing the respective prices of Goldstars & Fenders.

But I wouldn't be without my Goldstars. They get played alongside my AVRIs. Love 'em!

This may be of interest.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/Andrew Munro Article-July2008.pdf

Yves and Will Lefeurve like this.

14. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yeah.. I'd go with that ^^^^^^^ @stratman323 Good point, well made.. :thumb:

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

16. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    What's your address, and when are you next going on holiday.. ;)

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Lol. And yet those are amongst the cheaper Strats to be shown on ST.

18. Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yeah maybe.. but I love em! I wouldn't cross the road for a CS..

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Just for the record, I haven't tried an American Special. But I did own a 1999 American Standard for a couple of years, & I don't miss it now it's sold. The neck didn't suit me, I prefer the "'64" style neck on a Goldstar. But I can't stand the shiny glossy maple necks on a Goldstar, they're noticeably fatter than the rosewood version & not to my taste at all.

Horses for courses....

20. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2010
    Sussex, UK
    Is there a collective noun for a group of Tokai(s)? Perhaps a Troupe? a Thundering? or even a Tok?

Nonetheless it's certainly an impressive collection.