Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai trap tuners

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by aus_kez, Dec 2, 2017.

1. aus_kez

aus_kez Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Australia
    Hey folks,

I’ve been looking at some silver stars and I know the lower end models had trap tuners, the problem is I don’t know what they look like and a lot of the guitars for sale don’t have model numbers

I was hoping somebody could show
    Me the difference between the less desirable trap tuners and the tuners found on the better models

Cheers,

Kez

2. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland

23472420_2106606399353304_590838047535015169_n.jpg

23561702_2106606396019971_9135868158282607931_n.jpg

3. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    @aus_kez

That's what the Tokai Trap tuners look like.

I have have trap tuners on Tokais and other guitar. I never had a problem with them with a well cut nut and making sure there are no grooves cut in the saddles.

You could replace them but the screws for the replacements will need new holes. If you must I'd try a roller nut with them rather than put holes in tbe headstock.

However this is just one man's experience. Others here will be able to offer their experience.

4. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland

5. aus_kez

aus_kez Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks mate,

I have a Goldstar with the klusson types, but wasn’t sure if they were the alternate option on the higher end silver stars instead of the traps on the lower end models

I haven’t come across any silver stars yet with the klusson types

FenderBNDR likes this.

6. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    @aus_kez

Apologies man-

I made a mistake .

These are the tuners on a Silver Star SS-80.

There may be other types on the Silver Star but these are the only ones I've seen apart from the trap tuners.

Please discard the other type until someone like @stratman323 can confirm.

FB_IMG_1512286433421.jpg

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree. The tuners in post # 2 are the traps fitted to the base model Silver Stars, the SS36/38/40. As I understand it, those three are all the same guitar but the model number changed as the price increased over the years. The vast majority of Silver Stars seem to be the base models.

As far as I can make out, the tuners in post #6 were fitted to the SS48, SS60 & SS80, though out of those I have only owned an SS60 which I bought directly from Japan. I'm pretty sure that none of the SSs had Kluson type tuners as they were copies on 70s Strats.

Silver Stars were apparently only ever released onto the Japanese domestic market so they are much less common in Europe than Goldstars or Springys, so there tends to be less knowledge around about them. I don't think that catalogues were released in any language other than Japanese. Possibly they are a little more common in Australia?

I think that's pretty much all I know about Silver Stars!

@felis

may possibly know more? Though I think he's more of a Springy fan. Hope this is some help.

8. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Right, I'm afraid I'm of no help on the SilverStar models :oops:
    I wouldn't mind having one ;), and I do think that whenever the opportunity should present itself, @stratman323 would be the one to consult.