Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tommy Tedesco fast picking Technique

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by spyglass, Oct 8, 2017.

1. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Was watching this video last night of some seminar Tommy was doing and came across this part where he explains his fast picking technique,Man was I surprised how fast he can play.

From what I gather here he is playing a chromatic 3 note run on every string till he lands on the root or chord tone of the chord he is playing over ,He also explains he picks down/up/down and when he gets to the next string he picks down again, Me as a player wants to pick up stroke when I get to the next string, you know alternate picking as most of us our used to.

So he is sweeping so to speak as he skips strings, something Jimmy Bruno does for fast playing. If you watch the video you will see he is playing this over any chord and it tricks the listener in thinking he is playing the correct scale over different chords.

If someone could verify that what I think he's doing as correct and if this is shown in any book he has out,or any article online.

Part is at 13:36

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

2. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Man I used to love his articles in "Guitar Player Magazine" back in the 70s!

Sarnodude and Electgumbo like this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

As long as you land on a chord tone on the 1 of a change, you can play whatever you want in.between. Parker, Coltrane, any jazzers will do this. That's what TT is doing here.
    Combine the old arpeggio/chord tone method with the later Aebersold chord/scale method, and the possibilities are endless.

davidKOS, CigBurn and Electgumbo like this.

4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I attended his Clinc back in the 80's. He was really cool and funny...oh and really really good! Some guy asked him if he could "Circle Pick"? I think the term had been used in a recent (at the time) Guitar Player Magazine by Roy Buchanan. Tommy said "Sure" and began to move his right hand in a circle in front of him while his left hand peeled off some ridiculous single note lines... the whole place erupted in laughter!!!

I remember him saying he had these stock licks for different locals around the world for movie and TV work. If the scene was is Asia like China, Japan or Vietnam he had these moving 4ths lick or if the scene was in Spain, Mexico or Brazil he had this stock Latin sounding flamenco lick ... he said he'd played the same thing on countless movie and TV shows and they always worked. I thought that was clever.

5. fezz parka

TT had a bag of tricks for sure. My Dad wouldn't work with him, because Tommy would play one of his stock licks and my Dad would say "Play what I wrote for you, not what you think you should play". That's why HR and Allan Reuss were his go to guys. They played what was in front of them. :D

6. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @fezz parka
    Oh I believe ya... I could see where he could be a hand full ...

spyglass and fezz parka like this.

7. fezz parka

Great guitarist and musician though. If he hadn't been, he would have been a great salesman. He was smooth, and could sell you a bag of dirt even if you had a backyard full of it. :D

davidKOS, spyglass and Electgumbo like this.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Three note per string economy and alternate picking. Both good to have in the toolbox.

davidKOS likes this.

9. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Well TT had the chops, that's for sure.

Mixing alternate picking AND economy (aka Gypsy) picking is a wonderful thing for a guitar player to know how to do.

Paperback Rocker and Electgumbo like this.

10. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    Or a comedian. He was funny as hell....most of the time!:p

from earlier posts about TT of mine, with a few new details:

"but I do read pretty well, even complimented on my reading by Tommy Tedesco at a workshop he had at the old Werlein's in New Orleans.

I was at the back of a large room of most of the local guitar players. After a short, entertaining opening (including the "Latin Guitar" schtick, among a few other stories.

Tommy asked someone to come read a duet with him as if it was in an LA Studio, up to speed for a take, using a piece of music that was one of the recent cues he had played. The room was very quiet, and I was not really in the mood to try. But no one offered to try, so my friend that was a salesman at the store gets up and loudly said "David will read it "

- and then I was stuck.

The entire room had turned to look at me, in the back, and it seemed like forever, but was probably only a few seconds. I slowly walked to the platform, grabbed the other nylon string guitar, and he counted it off.

I thought I missed a few things but Tommy said I did good. Then he asked if anyone else wanted to try.

No one did.

So he kept me on the bandstand with him the rest of the seminar and in the small green room spoke to me about studio work in LA.

Sorry again, I'm not trying to show off. We all know the joke about how to make the guitarist play quiet - give him the chart."

Anyway, like anchovies, another Sicilian delicacy, Tedesco was "an acquired taste", as fezz parka has said at least once.

And he knew him, so it ain't BS.

11. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @davidKOS
    That must be when he came to Lafayette either on his way to or from New Orleans. I know our local Bud's Music sponsored him.

davidKOS likes this.

12. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Fantastic! I used to learn so much from his articles in Guitar Player when I was young.

13. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    @spyglass thank you for posting this video! I'm just now getting to it, and I love it. I was totally unaware of the MI YouTube Channel. I hope they have more things like this.

spyglass likes this.

14. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    Yeah most of us would have learned that style of economy picking from Yngwie or Eric Johnson I suppose, but it's not a new thing. Gypsy jazz guys have been shredding since before any of us were born, and I guess Tommy T picked it up from them.

davidKOS likes this.

15. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    And they learned it from classical/Italian mandolin players.

fezz parka likes this.

16. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    cool - didn't know that!

davidKOS likes this.

17. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When I was 17 or 18 working at Caldwell Music in San Antonio we had TT in for one of his clinic thingies. I got to attend because, well, I worked there. :D It was great. I still remember some of the shtick. He made quite an impression on me.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

"All Im doin is...." "Any questions?"

Me drooling: can you please do that slower?

davidKOS likes this.

19. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Does Yngwie economy pick?

davidKOS and spyglass like this.

20. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    The only other person I saw do this was Jimmy bruno from his dvd, But since I saw this I looked up economy picking on you tube and there are many videos on the topic.

Paperback rocker I was too wondering if yngwie did this,I thought he used alternating picking,but maybe he uses economy.

Paperback Rocker and davidKOS like this.