Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tonal money pit

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Class A Knob, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-O-Master

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    1. Tone comes from Mojo, which can be transmitted across both wired and wireless Internet connections.
    2. I am willing to send you said Mojo for the low, low price of $2.99 per month. That's right, for half the price of one Starbuck's coffee, you can have a month's worth of authentic Mojo from the heartland.
    3. My Mojo is guaranteed to improve your tone as much as those mods you've been thinking about making.
    Tone is not in the wood. Tone is not in the fingers. Tone is in the Nad! Call now!

2. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Sadly I'm not chasing a certain tone. I have it worse. I just want one of everything I can afford to get my hands on.

ChaplainMike likes this.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    It's a good name for a band, too.

4. Sarnodude

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Fuzz pedals are the most finicky of pedals. I have never tried a fuzz that sounded like what I hear on youtube.

Class A Knob likes this.

5. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    YouTube videos fall into 2 camps. Recorded with cell phone and recorded in professional studio. Neither give an accurate example.

amagras likes this.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    So I will agree the best overdrive and distortion come from amp tubes being pushed. But fuzz is something entirely different and does not come from tubes. Fuzz is basically the destruction of the guitar signal but in a good way. Germanium fuzzes are a lot like a maxed out amp but a bit more wooly. A silicon fuzz is a whole different animal and what Hendrix was using after 69 or so. A Big Muff is a whole different kind of fuzz.

As you can tell I’m a bit of a fuzz nut. I’ve owned about 10 or 12 in the past two years. A good fuzz face or clone of one with a nice tube amp and a delay and I’m good.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

7. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    So much crunch , so little time.

8. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_0663.JPG

I love fuzz - I finally just said screw it and bought a 66' Arbiter with nkts. It's the dark grey one. The other is a 72' with bc-109s and that's a white dot nkt 275 analogman. So I have actually spent what I consider a fortune on fuzz and it was totally worth it. That 66' has balanced transistors and just sounds great. It's my favorite pedal I've ever played. It blows the other ones away. It cleans up with the volume to a fat clean tone and then you can crank it for full on germanium goodness. If something happened to it I would sell things to buy another one, it's that good. So yes, I like fuzz :)

Stratoskater likes this.

9. Sarnodude

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    And I'm willing to concede that I am part of the problem. I tried 2 different fuzzface mini's with my own guitar through a Fender of some type (a cheapo) and it sounded like a mosquito in a pay toilet. Sigh..

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

10. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

@s5tuart

s5tuart likes this.

11. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Haven't had much luck with fuzzes, but I do really like my Way Huge Swollen Pickle. I feel like more than any kind of effect there are a lot of snake oil fuzz pedals out there.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I use a Jordan Bosstone clone I built.

Stratoskater likes this.

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    $ ... $ ... $ ... $ ... $ ... $ :confused: :mad: :eek:

PayUp.jpg

14. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talker

May 30, 2017
    Okinawa
    I've invested a small fortune in pedals and haven't used any of them since getting my Boss Katana last year. The built in effects are just too easy and the amp sounds great to my ears. But yeah, I'm still chasing the perfect delay.

15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

He should open up a store....

16. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I tend to buy a pedal if what we are playing in the barn needs it. I would never pretend that I could get another guitarist's sound through my rig. Don't even want to.

Ebidis likes this.

17. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI

18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    I just got my first real Fuzz pedal yesterday. I picked up a minty, used Nano Big Muff off Reverb for $52.99 shipped. I like it. It sounds like what I wanted from a fuzz. Hendrix meets Gilmour.

A few months ago I breadboarded a silicon Fuzz Face that sounds good but I have yet to put it in an enclosure.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I spent years trying different effects to see what they did. I now have it narrowed down to what I like, and that's what I use. So I no longer spend money on pedals. I have what I need, what I have works for me.

I have never tried to copy anyone else's sound. I just use what I have, and turn the knobs until it sounds good to me. It really can be that easy.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

20. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talk Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    You guys should have been around a generation ago...when TS808s and TS9s were in the bargain basement, or (for real) given away with a purchase of 3 sets of strings...everyone (well...you guys) HAD to have a RAT or some such nonsense...

Until Stevie Ray Vaughan hit, then everyone had to have em...prices went ballistic overnite, going from free to $900.00 for a beat to death 808...

Just depends on what Guitar Hero of the Day is using what this month I guess.