Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Tone on bridge tech help requested

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Str4t0c4st3r, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Str4t0c4st3r

Str4t0c4st3r New Member!

Aug 20, 2014
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello all,

I just picked-up a really nice 2011 MIM Standard Strat in trade. Sounds and plays GREAT. What's new for me is that it's a H/S/S setup. I've only ever had S/S/S before, but this was the only Strat offered for what I was trading.

Turns out, I'm totally lovin' it. I really like the humbuckers native tone, but (surprisingly, to me) there's no tone pot wired for it... so it's a bit too harsh.

I know about soldering the middle connections on the 5-way switch to get tone on the bridge pickup, but I'm laid-off with no available cash to buy a soldering iron/gun and solder.

So herein lies my question - what would work to at least temporarily jump those connections solderlessly? I was thinking either a short length of guitar string, or the metal piece in a bread bag twist tie, carefully twisted around the loops? Would either of those have the conductivity required to bridge that connection?

If not, what would that's something pretty commonly laying around the house?

I've never attempted this procedure before or have any appreciable electronics skills, but I've read about it extensively over the years. I don't get why Fender still does this on non-RI guitars. Well, on the MIMs at least. The MIAs are good. I had a 2003 with the no-load tone pot that sounded just gorgeous.

I'm totally the MacGyver type, and this doesn't seem potentially damaging at all... to me.

Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish what I'm proposing? Eventually, the plan is to take it to a tech and have him wire for no tone on the middle. I like what I've read about that.

Until then... this.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I would wait until proper wire and soldering tools are available, and make the changes yourself. Buying those is less expensive than having a technician do the work. Of course if you don't want to learn to solder, just wait until you can afford the tech.

Using steel wire (twist ties) and not soldering is a recipe for frustration, and a tone pot that works intermittently.

Welcome to the board, Chuck!

Str4t0c4st3r likes this.
  3. Str4t0c4st3r

Str4t0c4st3r New Member!

Aug 20, 2014
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thank you Jim, that's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

I have no problem learning what I need to, once those things can be afforded. I was just hoping for a quick/easy/FREE interim fix. I'd really rather not have to re-string and keep removing/replacing the pickguard for an intermittent tone pot.

I appreciate the input and suggestions.

Thanks again.

Triple Jim likes this.
  4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree. When the money is available to get a soldering iron, learning how to use it will save you a fortune over time. Intermittent joints on a guitar are a grade 1 PITA! Better to live without the tone control until you can do it properly, bits of wires will inevitably fall out.

5. Str4t0c4st3r

Str4t0c4st3r New Member!

Aug 20, 2014
    Cleveland, Ohio

That's definitely my plan now.

I was just playing it and still enjoying the humbucker sound even with out tone control, but I play the other positions so much more that I can wait.

Thanks for the input.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    By the way, I completely agree with you about the tone control. It makes no sense to have no tone control over the brightest pickup on the guitar, whether it's a humbucker or single. The first thing I do when I get a Strat is to wire it with master volume & master tone, just like a Tele. No need for 2 tone controls IMHO, it just confuses things.

7. Str4t0c4st3r

Str4t0c4st3r New Member!

Aug 20, 2014
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've had more than a few MIM Strats I'd acquired that already had it wired by a previous owner. Personally, I find the bridge by itself unusable without it. I know a lot of guys like it, but I am most definitely not one of them.

No-load is my preferred, and I'm looking forward to trying upper tone for N & M and lower for bridge, with a wide-open middle (which I never play, but sounds pretty good on this guitar). On paper, I like the sound of that setup the best.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I have the bridge tone on my SSS to tame the high end. When rolled down a bit it's closer to Humbucker.

On my HSS Strats I've never heard the need for a tone control. I don't mind a coil split switch on a humbucker, that's about it.