Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Too low master volume

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Cerb, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    So if when I've recorded something and the master volume is too low compared to other tracks but I can't raise it without introducing clipping, what do I do? Add a compressor to the master output? Compress the individual tracks? Other techniques?

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Try ReaComp on the master, there are lots of presets, see what happens as a starting point.

ReaComp.png

There are Reaper tutorials online, they're quite useful

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Cerb likes this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Thanks. I've used both ReaComp and ReaXComp in the past. Would I compress it and then push the master volume up?

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    There are other that can give you a better idea of how to go on than I can. I seem to be incapable of putting together a comprehensible explanation today, too many other things happening. Baking with my granddaughter for a school project taking my time and brain power today...

Cerb likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Taking time to bake with your granddaughter is a fine thing to do.

I managed to push the volume by trying to find each individul problem track and compressing each infividual instrument. Not so sure about the final mix but I also don't know what to do different.

Happy baking!

Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

@Cerb

It's often one or two elements in the mix that are causing the clipping. If you just slap a compressor on the master buss those elements may hit the compressor so hard that they cause that horrifying "pumping" sound. Compression is best used in stages. Compress on the tracks that most need it, like the drums and bass, then create a buss, run all tracks to it, but a light amount of compression on that buss, maybe a couple db, then ANOTHER ONE ON THE MASTER BUSS!! lolol Sounds nutso but that's how you tame those few elements that cause your problem. Once those heavy hitters are tamed, and the other compressors slightly squish it all together, you should be able to crank that volume.

Next week: Parallel compression. :D

Cerb and nickmsmith like this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    What happens on a master volume guitar amp when the volume is cranked , let's say to 7 and the master volume is let's say at 2? What happens when it's the reverse?
    Your answer is here.

Pull down individual track/channel gain/ volumes, you're getting pre master distortion. Track gain low, master just below 0. Try not to get above -3dB, digital sounds like ass when it clips.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Cerb likes this.