Join Strat-Talk Today

Took a ride in a "driverless" car yesterday

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ajb1965, May 15, 2019.

1. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

No punch line lol. It was an uneventful ride but very interesting. I do a lot of Lyft and Uber, and Google owns a company called Waymo that has swarms of those things in my part of town. I got 'invited' to sign up and got 15 free rides.

The technology is amazing albeit scary. There is a 'sitter' that is in the driver's seat but they don't touch anything and you are asked to pretend they aren't there.

The thing is loaded with sensors, cameras, LiDAR etc. There's a tablet on the headrest that shows some of the imaging the car sees. It recognizes people, barricades, traffic signs and signals and keeps track of every moving object within a few hundred feet of the vehicle.

Skynet is coming, let's just hope it's much more benevolent than it was in Terminator.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

"Pretend I'm not here."

"Really?" Unzips pants...

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You scare me... :eek:

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

"Really?"

Unbuckles belt...

5. ajb1965

L
    M
    F
    A
    O

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

You all should see the movie Upgrade. It’s an awesome movie, and shows some of the problems of driverless cars ha ha.

Paperback Rocker and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations. You are helping to usher in the future.
    In most instances, I am not in favor of technology having such a grip on humanity.

However, when it comes to driving (and i do a lot of it), I trust humans far less than computers.

Humans are careless, tired, distracted, sometimes drunk, etc.
    Humans are not good at driving.

All hail skynet.

Neil.C, GuitLoop, nadzab and 6 others like this.
  8. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

That's the problem with things like liberty and freedom, comes with all sort of issues like the ones you mentioned and others like "personal responsibility".

For me, I would rather deal with the "tired and drunk" humans than give up all that you will have to, to have your robotic future.

9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's just a touch on the humorous side
    that people
    Fear* (human)driverless vehicles...
    When cars/trucks/motorcycles driven by peepul
    Account for
    33,000 deaths on average per anum...
    And
    Untold maiming...
    Let one human be done by technology
    And
    The evening noise gets their vocal genitals awhir..

*Primal

Neil.C, nadzab, Sarnodude and 6 others like this.
  10. ajb1965

Great point! That happened here last year. Some lady crossed the street on her bike at night at a curve in the road and an autonomous Uber ran her over and killed her. Caused a big flap and they shut down all 'driverless' vehicles in town for a while.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. charby

charby Strat-Talk Member

LOL I think you would be quickly banned from this service

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

if it is not on tracks it is already off the rails.

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Having driven in Philly that is a reasonable belief.

14. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

Take out all the computers, put the clutches back in, and make people drive instead of whatever you call what there doing now.

15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I was involved with early prototyping of this service...but, then I quit drinking.

16. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Not currently a fan of software-driven cars. Perhaps I've worked at too many software companies. ;) Who's responsible on the road when bad things happen? The software company, the car manufacturer, the owner? The driving environment is sufficiently complex that I imagine there are still a huge number of edge cases that software designers are still dealing with. How hackable are they? Is the software/hardware infrastructure sufficiently secure given all the other hacking that's making the news these days? I have my doubts. Autonomous vehicles are likely to be networked to each other down the road, amplifying this risk. Finally, as cars become autonomous and networked, will authorities start limiting where human-driven cars can go and even track movement? What are the implications for our freedom of movement? It's not that these things can't be dealt with, but I think we're a long way from figuring them out still.

Also, I actually enjoy driving.

17. Biddlin

Right, it isn't coming to your neighborhood...:rolleyes:
    I drove a Tesla S recently with autopilot. They are becoming as common as a Cadillac in California. Google is testing their autonomous drivers here, too. The genie is out of the bottle, Bub.

nadzab and ajb1965 like this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Honestly we already have a ton of robotic crap in cars. ABS (robots to pulse the brakes in ways that prevent the wheels skidding), automatic transmissions (robots who shift gears for us), fuel injection (robots who monitor and adjust fuel mix on the fly), airbags (robots to shoot a pillow at your face when you crash). Automatic headlights (robots who sense when it gets dark & turn on the headlights). Robots to lock your doors for you. Robots to roll your windows up or down, instead of having to turn the crank yourself. Cruise control (a robot to regulate your speed). Some of them even have robots to put on the brakes when you're getting too close to another object.

I own cars that have none of those things, and I drive them regularly. And I intend to keep driving them as long as I'm able. One of the biggest challenges for self-driving cars is dealing with people like me, still insisting on using obsolete cars. Let alone dealing with people who still insist on walking or taking their horse & buggy on the road.

I think it's great that disabled people, for instance, are able to still live a decent life--is better. Automatic transmissions are great, for people with a disabled arm or leg--we don't have a problem with that. Or for people who don't want to have to pay attention to engine rpm.

Self driving cars are a great idea for people who want them. If blind people can get around better, that's awesome. If people who judge themselves too old or infirm to drive still want to get around, without relying on others--I think it's great if they can. If people who have lost driving privileges to alcohol can still get to their job or to the pub, without breaking the law and without putting the rest of us in danger--then the world is a better place.

And what I don't want is any kind of mandate to buy one myself.

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

But first we need to figure out legally the licensing requirement to "operate" such a vehicle and what that even means.

Agree on the mandates.

I also wonder how well the tech will evolve dealing with, say, Boston drivers during a snowstorm on a road barely wide enough for two lanes, marked as one, where the cars simply fit in.

There are roads around Boston that are marked as one lane with signs telling you too form two, if you happen to even notice the sign.

These are not intractable problems, but there are a lot of things to work out still.

velvet_man and dirocyn like this.
  20. Biddlin

There's no mandate to require radios and heaters, I got my 63 Falcon without a radio, but danged if they made one without a heater. Since 68 or so, a lot of stuff my old man squawked about as "fancy useless crap", like seat belts, have become de rigueur. I'll drive my old Lincoln,with heated seats, climate control, 10 speaker music/entertainment system, onboard navigation and communication center, power brakes and automatic transmission until it or I can't cut the mustard and then, a Johnny cab will suit me fine.

Neil.C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.