Join Strat-Talk Today

Took a ride in a "driverless" car yesterday

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ajb1965, May 15, 2019.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely. The legal question needs to be solved. I don't have any faith that my own state's legislature will solve this issue. Not the current bunch, anyhow.

Well, yeah. We have roads that are stupid, and sometimes illegal. The current batch of "driverless" cars will just simply refuse to drive in those situations. Which is what most humans probably should do as well. I really wonder how they respond to signals from school crossing guards. Sometimes those hand signals are pretty non-standard, and ya wonder if they're telling you to stop or if they're just waving at you.

circles likes this.
  2. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

All excellent points. While the tech inside this car was amazing, it was abundantly clear that this is still very early and there are certain things they won't allow them to do yet. Left turn at a light - Yes. Merge into the left turn lane where there is not a light - not yet. They drop you off across the street lol. Over time they will become more and more aware of situations and have intelligence to make decisions, and that's when it's going to get really creepy. Lets hope they institutionalize the '3 rules' :p

dirocyn likes this.
  3. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Unfortunately it'll be much less benevolent. The coming of 5G and the internet of things is 1984 on steroids. George Orwell would be more than spinning in his grave.

Once your liberty is gone.. you've nothing left..

Mr C, RJ Squirrel and circles like this.
  4. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not sure I agree. Driving is as much a social activity wherein drivers interact. Seeing different cultural driving patterns even just within the US makes that clear to me. Having lived overseas where they make Boston drivers look like they're from Mayberry makes it even clearer. Turning driving into a straight-up rules-based approach with human/social being on the road at the same time will strain things for some time until either both sides adapt or one gets banned.

5. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

How much more expensive and complex can we make cars? We'll see. I hope they work out though, I'd sooner take my chances with robot cars than people cars.

I used to be able to do (practically) any work on my car. Will I have to take my car to NASA for a tune up?

rocknrollrich, s5tuart and ajb1965 like this.
  6. knh555

I wonder how they'd do here

7. knh555

No. You'll have to call technical support or take it to the Genius Bar.

ajb1965 and circles like this.
  8. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

You’re gonna run into the same problem arms manufacturers run into, if someone uses your gun to shoot someone is it your fault ? I don’t think so but some people do. So if your company’s robocar gets used in a manner it wasn’t intended is it the company’s fault ? Is it Fenders fault if Keef whacks some stage crasher with his telecaster ? I don’t think so !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

What I'm saying is that people drive in really complicated situations, in which the rules are often in conflict with each other--and sometimes it would be smarter to just stay home. In those situations the driverless car will either sit and wait (potentially forever) or it will require a human take over driving.

People drive in places where they themselves can't detect a road. And people drive the ice road in Alaska in blizzard conditions, and people drive the Andes "death road." Some of those places, I wouldn't trust any damn robot with MY life. Not that I'd be comfortable riding with a human driver either--if I'm driving somewhere risky and stupid, I don't trust anyone to do a better job than I can do myself.

Frankly, some of those places a robot would have the advantage. LIDAR? So it can see through things that people can't see through? See through blowing snow, see through snowdrifts? See through jungle foliage, or through driving rain? See through the ice you're driving on, to know how thick it is? Measure exactly how wide the space between the abyss and the cliff wall is, or back up half a mile to the nearest place that's wide enough for oncoming traffic to pass? To measure how deep the water is, that you have to drive through? Or how swift the current? Advantage: machine--if it's designed to be able to do that. A driverless car designed for the (relatively) tame streets of Chandler AZ might not be up for every kind of road condition on earth.

knh555 likes this.
  10. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Um, no. For me, at least.

ajb1965 likes this.
  11. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

And yet, nobody complains as they buckle in to their airline seat...I wonder how many know what percent of their flight is actually done by the flight crew?
    You'd be surprised.
    There used to be a running joke in the industry regarding "autoland". Now it's not a joke.

Neil.C, nadzab and s5tuart like this.
  12. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I'm looking forward to AI tech reducing the need for human drivers in congested urban areas and allowing people to get around better. Not only will it allow the old or disabled to be more autonomous, but it will also make commuting much more tolerable. I would have killed for a self driving car back when I was commuting and hour each way every day. That would have been two more useful hours every day to read, watch TV, play games, or even practice guitar.

And I don't see how this equates to a loss of freedom at all. Back when Spielberg made the movie Minority Report, he had a big meeting with all the leading tech leaders and futurists across a number of industries to try to accurately determine where tech would be 50 from that time. So naturally the movie included self driving cars, but an interesting thing happened when Tom Cruise left the city -- a steering wheel popped up and he started driving it like normal.

Numbercruncher and nadzab like this.
  13. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

For those concerned about robotic future...
    Too late...
    Autonomous vehicle are not The best and yet are a better answer...
    Madison avenue coaxes us to drive motor vehicles in an unlawfully fashion...
    Madison avenue coaxes us to drive motor vehicles in a manner approaching rubbing one out...

The majority of us have been taught what, not how to think...
    It is impossible to govern a populous that knows how to think....

owenmoney likes this.
  14. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

Hey you rotten kids! Keep your autonomously driving car off my lawn!!!:p

ajb1965 likes this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2019 Civic and it has a bunch of tech that will partially drive the car for you. Some of it I have found downright dangerous and have turned it off. Twice I have had the car slam on the brakes to avoid what it thought was a pending collision. One time it was a car pulling off the road in front of me and my brakes slammed on as I drove past where it turned off. Another time I was changing lanes in a tight situation getting off a highway into an acceleration/deceleration lane. Thankfully nobody was behind me in either case. The time on the highway scared the hell out of me.

I also had the car slam on the brakes when it thought I was drifting out of my lane. It was a construction zone where they have painted over the old lines and put new ones down.

The car also claims it can keep you in your lane when using cruise control. I experimented with it one time and it is FAR from reliable. Who would trust that anyway?

The auto dimming headlights are OK sometimes. The adaptive cruise control is really nice. The rest of it all gets turned off.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

The Google cars drive themselves (there is a person behind the wheel, but they don't actually control the car).

They have driven over EVERY inch of our roads, making the Google Street View maps.

With 1.5 million miles of road driven on (5 million worldwide), they have been involved in only 17 accidents; all caused by humans.

Neil.C, circles, s5tuart and 2 others like this.
  17. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Also, who is responsible for writing the algorithms that govern the decisions the car is making? What ethical / legal accountability do they have?

T Bone Slort, RJ Squirrel and knh555 like this.
  18. knh555

Kinda like the Boeing 737 MAX, depending how that turns out.

Who gets charged with vehicular homicide when it all goes wrong?

19. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Most people don't want driverless cars.

20. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I expect a negative impact on the environment as more people that never could drive before, now step up to clog the roads further.

PS To me every second spent behind the wheel of a car is a wasted second of my life, and they add up.

rgbedard and BallisticSquid like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.