Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

top five compressors

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by bluesfloyd, Apr 13, 2018.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd Strat-Talk Member

Oct 12, 2015
    peterborough/ UK
    hi guys,
    i play blues and classic rock using a strat with three single coils pickups, what compressors would you guys recommend me buy? price for me no problem,
    thanks for your time,
    bluesfloyd.

2. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    If price is not an issue, the best sounding I've heard, only on video, never in person, is the origin effects cali 76 that has been featured on that pedal show.

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Boss CS-2 it is a very musical pedal that is not only a compressor but a clean and dirty boost.It is not a tone drainer it makes your amp sound better imo!!!!
    I just got one and i do not know how i lived without one for all these years!!!!!:thumb:

4. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Ingersoll-Rand
    Mikita
    Hitachi
    Dewalt
    and...
    Craftsman
    :p

(I don't use them but I think the one that appeared most on stages I worked was a little red box called MXR Dyna Comp)

henderman likes this.

5. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels

6. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

7. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    I recommend you purchase an Orange Squeezer type compressor and stop your search with that. If you play country I would've suggested one of the many iterations of a Ross compressor, but if you're a blues guy, go Orange.

8. sandgren

sandgren Strat-Talk Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Denmark
    I have three compressors. My first one was the Analogman 'Bi-Comprossor' - it's an optimized Ross and Orange compressor, two built into one pedal. I was happy with it for a while, but realized there maybe was too much 'pumping' sound in it. Then I bought the Keely version 2, which I found excellent and much better than the Bi-Comprossor. Finally I got tempted with the EHX Platform Compressor when I saw this demo:

This is clearly the best compressor I've tried. It does everything as shown in the video. Plus, when you look at the features, it's quite moderately priced, only a nothch above the Keeley.

Stratoman10 and Percy like this.

9. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    If price is taken out of the equation, then as someone else already indicated...

IMG_1941.JPG

-- or --

IMG_1942.JPG

10. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    By far (to me ;)) Maxon CP-101/ Ibanez CP-835 (same as, and also built by Maxon) from the eighties.

11. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Xotic SP compressor works great for me.

12. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Bob the builder and ShaneRingo like this.

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I'll 3rd this opinion - got one used last week (of course, since they are out of production,) and it's the first compressor I've used in 7 years - not crazy, over-the-top squash - just the right amount to be a musical and smooth boost.

14. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jimmy Page could have used the swell affect instead of a bow!!!!!!:thumb:great pedal!!!!

sandgren likes this.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    PS to the OP - being a Floyd fan, the CS-2 is what Gilmour used during the late 80's and 90's - think the intro of "Coming Back To Life."

16. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    I’ve got an MXR super comp which sounds good but it is a bit noisy in my rig... if I was to buy another it would be a cali...

17. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There’s two that are truly wonderful and ahead of the pack.

The Cali 76 is just beautiful.

The Keeley GC-2 smokes most.

Hugh likes this.

18. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Of the ones I have tried and used, the Keeley Compressor Plus comes out on top for simplicity of use and tonal abilities.

Have to say I am intrigued by the EHX Platform, which was brought up in a similar thread not too long ago.

I'll also add the often overlooked/hardly even known of talked about MXR Studio Compressor. It's very versatile, and sounds great once dialed in.

Stratoman10 likes this.