Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

top five compressors

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by bluesfloyd, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    If you play blues, why would you want a compressor? They rob you of the beauty of single coils - the dynamics. A compressor, to me, only really shines for a country player on a Tele. I think your money would be better spent on a good overdrive pedal, most of which compress somewhat as well as distort the signal. A pedal I have not seen mentioned yet is the Barber Tone Press, it has a blend knob that comes in handy for retaining some of your dynamics.

Bluestrat83 likes this.

2. James53646

James53646 Strat-Talker

Apr 9, 2012
    Newcastle
    As many have said, the Cali 76 Deluxe is the best you can buy. However I have the Xotic SP compressor and am more than happy with it.

3. Nasser

Nasser Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2015
    Amman, Jordan
    Gilmour actually used a Dynacomp extensively and had a Boss CS2 on his pedal board for a while in the late 80's & 90's.

Now he's using The Origin Effects Cali76, a Demeter Compulator optical compressor, and an Effectrode PC-2A Compressor.

I've got the CS2 and its a great pedal if you can find one. Will also be purchasing a Cali76 soon as I love the 1176 rack units and have used them extensively in the studio. They are pretty colored but in a gorgeous way and add a really nice top end sheen to your sound.

4. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    RPKennedy likes this.

5. john o

john o Strat-Talker

Apr 13, 2016
    Delaware
    I have been using a Boss CS-3 for 18 years. It's a clean pedal. my rig, which is fairly simple, sounds better with this on, most of the time, with single coils. The only time I turn it off is sometimes with humbuckers or when I use my envelope filter. I keep the sustain level down at about 10:45, to avoid too much swell at higher volumes. The effect level at 1:00, attack at 1:30, tone at 12:30.
    great pedal, and affordable.

6. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I thought this too until i tried my Boss CS-2 now i am wondering why i did not have one all of these years!!!!!:thumbd:

7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I got this one with intention of replacing a CS3 and TS9. I do like the comp side and found out it stacks well with the CS3 .I can't say I'm a fan of the OD side though. And the swell function does have it's moments

sandgren likes this.

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    MXR dynacomp. But I have a noise gate on the board too

9. PinkFloydfan91

PinkFloydfan91 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2010
    Burlington,NC

10. sandgren

sandgren Strat-Talk Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Denmark
    I got mine primarily because of the compressor, the OD and Swell effects are considered extras that EHX use to throw in on many of their pedals. The OD works well for me though, I use it exclusively with the compressor engaged and I can get a smooth violin tone ala EJ. Just dial it in with a touch and roll the treble back. As many other ODs, it gets harsh if you overuse it. Compared to my Fulldrive2, it has a little more bass response which is another bonus. I have strat, tele, LP, Gretsch and Musicman guitars, I feel like every guitar needs it own setup, so it's really nice to have extra options. If needed, I could use this pedal alone instead of a pedal board.

11. sandgren

sandgren Strat-Talk Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Denmark
    Some people hate compressors, so simply don't use them. I can imagine B.B. King would hate it, his kind of blues worked well with a little OD as the only effect. But then the Gary Moore type of blues calls for long soothing tones. And so with Peter Green's 'The Supernatural' f.ex. And if you're a bedroom artist playing at lower volume levels, it can be difficult to get enough sustain on your guitar. So for me, it works well with higher volume levels > less compressor effect and the othert way around.

12. Niall

Niall Strat-Talk Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Recently did a shoot out with 8 different compressor pedals under 250 USD . Winner was ... Boss CP-1X . Cant believe no one has mentioned it here . Its a fantastic pedal

13. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI

14. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

Oct 19, 2011
    Fullerton
    Mad Professor Forest Green.
    Takes a bit to figure out the controls, but great boost, sustain for days, least squash of the lower strings.
    The Wampler Ego Mini is less transparent, more squishy, but sounds great. The Xotic SP is there, too, but I always got weird artifacts on the note attack - sometimes I get a big *POP*, sometimes it's smooth. Both examples I tried at different times. Probably something I did.

15. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I play some country blues.

1. Wampler SuperEgo
    2. Wampler SuperEgo Mini

16. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I came real close to getting one of those back when they came out, but ended up pulling the trigger on the MXR Studio Compressor. I've nothing but great things about them.

17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Do these work on non-tube amps
    Or
    Just wish?

18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Anyone know...