Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tradition Strat - A Product of United Sales Associates

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by SeanC, Aug 12, 2017.

1. SeanC

SeanC New Member!

Aug 12, 2017
    CapeTown
    I was offered one of these 2nd hand in a nice colour.

The condition is good but I have no idea how it plays yet.

There isn't much information via Google and I read that this company doesn't exist or was taken over. Does anyone know what the hardware is like on this particular strat? This will be my first guitar so I don't want to make a mistake. The current owner doesn't have any other information for me. It would be nice if all the parts are original - I prefer that.

I'm not keen on a cheap bullet Squier and just missed out on an unusual Obey special edition standard Squier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    I have seen a couple of those guitars. They are pretty similar to the low end Squiers.

I would probably buy one if it indeed does have the sealed tuners. It is very very rare to have problems with those tuners.

SeanC and Nadnitram like this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Get a setup but have them check frets for level first and if a few rock then get a full fret level job done (around here a fret level is $100 while a setup is $50, so that extra cost a huge value). A fret level will make starter guitars play like $1,000 instruments. I've worked on $800 new-from-the-factory guitars that needed fret levels.

Most factories assume you will get a setup on any purchase so they only dial them close. A used guitar will be like that plus previous owner possible lack of maintenance. Sometimes used though is better than new because the previous owner got the setups and the guitar has stabilized. But get it checked whether new/used.

SeanC likes this.

4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Should you buy the Tradition? It depends on the price. I would agree with Stratman in VA

I'd price Squier Affinity models in your area, and I wouldn't pay more that that. Around here, that would be in the $80 range.
    ___

Sorry for the dissertation that follows. As I reply, I'm asking myself, "What do I wish I had known?"

First of all, buy second-hand whenever possible. New gear loses half its value as soon as it leaves the store. Let someone else take that loss.

Second, since this is your first guitar, know that the cost of the guitar itself is only a small part of the total cost. You will also need to factor in the cost of a pro setup, an amplifier, an instrument cable, a clip-on tuner, and a stand or case.
    • Guitar - I firmly believe you can get a decent guitar for $100 or less. I also believe you are better off with a $70 guitar and a $70 setup than you are with a $150 guitar and no setup.
    • Pro Setup - any guitar will need a good setup, which typically costs $60-70. It sounds expensive, but it's worth it. The setup ensures the guitar plays easily and stays in tune. Nothing is more frustrating than a guitar that keeps going out of tune as you play.
    • Amplifier - all amplifiers are not created equal. Luckily, a good amp doesn't have to be expensive. Fender Mustangs seem to be reliable, and they can generate a huge number of different sounds. I often see used Mustangs for <$100.
    • Instrument Cable - probably around $15.
    • Clip-on Tuner - I prefer the Snark, for about $15.
    • Guitar stand - If you don't have a case, then you'll want a guitar stand. $15.
    There you have it. You can get a very playable "rig" for around $300 US.
    ___

Over the years, many of us have learned to set up our own guitars. It's not too difficult to learn, and the necessary tools (hex wrenches and precision screwdrivers) are inexpensive. It's a real money saver, especially when you have several guitars.

SeanC and stratman in va like this.

5. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Buy used when you can. Generally can save some money.

Definitely gonna need that amp and cable! Budget for those items. A good tuner is really handy too, but you might use an app on your computer or phone for a time until you get a tuner.

SeanC and Nadnitram like this.

6. SeanC

SeanC New Member!

Aug 12, 2017
    CapeTown
    Thanks.

I found a used Fender Mustang 1 v2 for $130 (yeah, things are pricier here :( )
    The guitar owner is sticking to his price, so I'm going to have to bargain. He wants $95 for the Tradition. It may be worth it for the nice tuners and the Alnicos, which are supposed to be on it (hard to tell if they are).

There are plenty of Squiers around, usually the Bullet Strats which fetch between $84 and $152 second hand. I may hold out for a newish Standard Squier, which a guy wants $228 for.