Join Strat-Talk Today

Training to spray paint

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by WIZARD1325, Mar 11, 2019.

1. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

So got some cheap 4 dollar spray paint and had an old board to pratice on... I notice with these spray cans the fan isnt really big i have to get kinda close.

I didnt have any drips my first try but thats with these spray cans.

Other then the safety concerns im aware of. Any pointers on technique?

Thanks!

strat_strummer, circles and MrNeutron like this.
  2. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talk Member

Practice, practice, practice on scrap. There is no substitute when it comes to spraying with an areosol or gun.

Remember each coat is not meant to give full coverage. It is the accumulation of them that does. So you want it to go on light and dry. That means you don't have to be as close & won't end up with runs. Also, alternate your coat directions. If one is horizontal do the next verticle. And a guitar body is much smaller than your test piece and will be easier on the flat surfaces.

Oh, yeah. Get some ventilation going if you value your health!

Eric

3. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talk Member

Don't end up like this guy.
    [​IMG]

I thought this was a pretty good video on refinishing.

One problem I've noticed with spray paint is that I end up with little stringy things all over. Not sure if it's because I'm spraying too long or what.

Fuggle, Chont and MrNeutron like this.
  4. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talk Member

Eric (EAllen), the more of your posts I read, the more thankful I am for your contributions. You're a lot of help to those of us trying to learn this stuff. You give some good, helpful advice! :thumb:

Good on you for the respirator use, Wizard 1325!!! :thumbd:

But yeah, Eric is right. Open a window, turn that ceiling fan on low if ya can....... Are you spraying in, like, your living room, Sir? Reminds me of when I moved from a rented house to an upstairs apartment, and my 450 Maico dirt bike had to live in the spare bedroom...... ;)

Anyway, with regards to the spray can output: I do know for a fact that Dupli-Color Perfect Match acrylic lacquers, and some Rust-Oleum automotive lacquer rattle cans have a nozzle on them that gives you a slightly wider "fan" of mist coming out of the can more like a spray gun. You can adjust most of these for a more vertical fan, or a more horizontal one. And therefore, your coats can have a bit more overlap. Ya still gotta go on the light side, tho. I'm willing to bet that the stuff you wind up using for your guitar body will have a spray nozzle like that, if you go with paint from StewMac, Behlen's, Re-Ranch, or whoever........

And Wizard1325, thank you for asking these questions. Its helping others (like myself) who don't know a lot of this stuff learn as well.

WIZARD1325 likes this.
  5. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

you want the second spray line to overlap the first one and be about halfway over it. and the third line should be about half on the second. and so on. when you get the right overlap and find the correct speed to move the can or gun is when you can blend every line you spray in with the last one, that is the goal, so it looks like it got covered in 1 shot and not 257 separate spray lines and blotches.

i also change directions when coating to help keep things even.

i put it on slightly light at first and then spray the final coats as "wet" as i can get away with to not make drips and runs.

6. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

Thanks so much guys. I was trying to put it on light but it was hard to see what and where i was spraying so i had to go closer. Plus the fan spray was very narrow so it was hard to practice my over lap.

I am up loading my video spraying shallac sealer on my guitar.

O and if your courious where im spraying I sold my house so theres ton of empty rooms and the carpet is being replaced so thats why i am spraying everywhere lol. Shallac bearly has an oder or else i wouldnt be doing this.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    MrNeutron and BobbyS like this.
  7. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

the real trick to spraying any paint is to spray it on wet, but not so wet it runs. a real light spray, depending on the paint, may go on dry and then it doesn't adhere as well and doesn't lay down.

you can spray it on lighter but still be a wet coat of paint if done right. like guitar playing, it's where the skill and touch resides.

MrNeutron and WIZARD1325 like this.
  8. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

What kind of paint are you using? It is hard to get a flat and even finish with enamel paints. I like to use spray lacquer. It dries fast, and is very forgiving if your technique isn’t very good. On the negative side, it isn’t as durable as enamel.

When using lacquer, the first cost is a thin fog, which I rub down, then a couple more coats, rubbed between coats. Then a couple more coats of clear lacquer, then rubbing and polishing. I end up with a mirror finish.

If I screw up, I sand it down smooth, and paint again. Don’t paint on rainy or humid days, and try to find a dust-free place to work.

MrNeutron likes this.
  9. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

And this is me waiting for paint to dry =/

MrNeutron likes this.
  10. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

Its just some.cheap 4 dollar stuff from home depo just practicing technique

MrNeutron likes this.
  11. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Many people sprays guitars in vertical. It's not bad way to do but Leo sprayed in horizontal position with nail suspension. So I've always done that way and always succeeded. Maybe you should consider a try.

jvin248 and Bodean like this.
  12. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talk Member

A Yamaha THR amp, Wizard!! Nice! I have one of those little guys too.I really, really like mine! Like my Fender Super Champ X2, it gets some cool voice model settings. I'm still lookin' for the "Anti-Suck" settings on both of my amps.......

Sangetsu, what do you mean when you "rub down" after the first fogged on light coat, and in between other coats? Rub down with what?

13. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Have you read ReRanch 101 yet? It'll get you started. Spraying nitro lacquer is not hard. And if you screw it up, it's often as simple as sanding down your mistake (run, dust, etc) and continuing on.

https://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

14. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

VALHALLA!!!

[​IMG]

Bodean likes this.
  15. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

in all seriousness... i did an amateur rattle can refinish and i found sitting the body flat on a stand was the way to go to avoid drips and runs. Light coats too. I got lucky and had minimal orange peel.

Bodean and MrNeutron like this.
  16. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

Yes i read it some of what written there doesnt fall in line with what people say on here or in youtube especially when it comes to sanding.

17. WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325 Strat-Talker

I have my issues with it like how batterys dont last long on it.

I wish the knobs were facing you but that would mess with the look on this amp.

Other then that its neat and clean and fits anywhere.

MrNeutron likes this.
  18. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-O-Master

Can only agree with EAllen. Just give the target (your trial piece) very light dusting of spray. Make sure that the room temperature is as close to the recommendation on the can instructions, and keep the can at the recommended distance from the spray nozzle to the target ( your trial piece).

Do attempt to cover the piece in only one or two passes ( the number of times you initiate a short blast of paint). It really is just a case of building up layer after layer of paint. Don’t go back to spray again until the test piece is dry, as described in the instructions on the can.

Be patient, as we know you are, and don’t be tempted to spray too much paint. Have fun.:D

EAllen likes this.
  19. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It looks like you are spraying inside a house. That's a BIG no no! o_O

EAllen likes this.
  20. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Maybe it's someone else's house. :sneaky:

Chont, johnnymg and WIZARD1325 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.