Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Traynor Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Kashmir, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Kashmir

Kashmir Strat-Talk Member

Oct 1, 2012
    San Ramon CA.
    Anyone using Traynor amps out there? Even my Strat and Tele sound good in this baby.

2. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

Mar 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Hello,

I have an old Traynor Custom Valve 40. It is a great sounding amp. My cheap alternative to Vox. I think Traynor amps are an overlooked gem. I had never played a Traynor guitar amp (had heard their bass amp). I saw the 40 selling on ebay dirt cheap. I put in a ridiculously low bid on it and got it. When it arrived, I was amazed at how it sounded. I have seen Traynor amps sell pretty cheap just because folks do not know the amp. The one I have is a great amp.

Talk to you later,
    Norm

3. SKStrat

SKStrat Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2013
    Canada
    I use a Traynor Darkhorse 15 Watt head. Mine is one of six made for the pilot run so it just has the pure and USA modes but lacks the Brit mode. I use it mostly in the pure mode, which bypasses the tone stack, and in 6V6 mode, which uses the two 6V6 power tubes. Great tones!

4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I would be able to identify it if I saw one again, but way back in the 80's a friend of mine had a Traynor 50 watt solid state with 1 small speaker- it was cheap, portable and all guitars sounded good through it.

5. Sammy 11

Sammy 11 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 15, 2016
    USA
    Not with me anymore , had a Traynor YCV 40 , 9 years old with original tubes , killer amp !

6. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Strat-Talk Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Arkansas
    I have the first Gen YCV40 with a V30 speaker. I can take tubes and tweak this amps voice to speak any language I want. It really is a hidden Gem.

7. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Traynor amps are Canada's secret. They are little known and often under rated. I've owned a YCV50Blue (50 watts 2xEL34). I currently own a YCV80Q (80 watt 4x6L6) and a DG15R (15 watt solid state). They are all excellent amps with a great variety of tones on tap.

8. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    My current gigging bass rig is powered by a Traynor head. Small Block 200 it's called, and I really like it. At least half of the bass players out there will try to tell you unless you have 1000 watts and a wall of 810 cabs you ain't nuttin', but honestly for the places I play, the teeny little 200 watt head that powers either, or both a 115 cab and a 210 cab, plus has a line out to send to the house is ample. Yup, Traynor always did offer great products, and the used prices are a bargain, least they are here in Nova Scotia.

For awhile I played my strat through a wine red YCV20. It was one of the older ones, when the Greenback was still made in UK. Was an awesome squawk-box, but honestly just a bit darker than I wanted, and sounded better with humbucker geetars, in particular that Godin LG signature I had. I let both go in one of those dang empty wallet moments.

Guess I can only be in the club in the past tense, unless bass amps count.

9. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Well since Kerry sold me his YCV50Blue a month ago, I can now count myself in the Traynor Admiration Club.
    I am digging this amp's tone, big time. It gives my Strat's Lace Sensors tons of tonal options and has turned my Hagström into a monster.
    One happy dude here. :D

mar-1-2016-s.jpg

Kerry Brown likes this.

10. T Bone Slort

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    So my YCV50 had no reverb tank cover, now it does.

rev_1.jpg rev_2.jpg rev_3.jpg rev_4.jpg

11. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Do you leave that on while you're playing and if so does it affect the sound?

12. T Bone Slort

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    I leave it on and I don't think it affects the sound. Just protects it and stops the clanging from the power cord which is now affixed to the inside of the cab with eyelet zapstrap.
    My buddy's DRRI has one and I figured the YCV50 deserved the same:cool:

Kerry Brown likes this.

13. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talk Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    I have a well maintained 1976 YGM3. Who needs a Fender Deluxe when you have one of these?
    IMG_8001.JPG

14. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    I've had a lot of Traynor gear over the years including a really old 70s vintage tube head that was my first good amp, and man I wish I still had it as they are sought after now. Right now I have a Traynor Quarterhorse, which is a 25 watt amp in a stompbox, I keep as a backup in case my tube amp ever fails. I've used it for jams and it does the job!

15. Jimmy Burn

Jimmy Burn Strat-Talk Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Langley, B.C. Canada
    Hey guys, I just picked up a late 60s white face YGM3. It currently has a greenback in it, that has a bit of a death rattle. I also have the OG Marsland but we all know about those . What do you guys recommend for a speaker?

T Bone Slort likes this.

16. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I just picked up a Quarterhorse myself - for rehearsal and backup at gig. Very impressed - it's not as nice as my Traynor YGL2 or my other amp (a rivera) but it's a decent sound and when we rehearse at the drummers place I can drag a 1x12 cab and the quarterhorse up the stairs way easier than either tube amp. He's not a super quite drummer (and his kit is really loud) but it keeps up very nicely.

kchurch and ZlurkCorzDog like this.

17. Deckard

Deckard Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    1493821787231.jpg bottom is a YBA1 mod 1 and the top is a bass mate from the 70s the original owner converted to a head. Haven't gotten around to building a proper head box for it or turning it back to a combo.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

18. annuvin

annuvin New Member!

Oct 14, 2017
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Love my Traynor YGL1!

Traynor.jpg

T Bone Slort likes this.